What To Do If You Do Not Want To Wait For Redcat's Bed Dancer!

joe122

Hello all!! So....those of you
IMG_7850.jpg
IMG_7851.jpg
IMG_7853.jpg
IMG_7854.jpg
IMG_7857.jpg
IMG_7860.jpg
IMG_7861.jpg
IMG_7862.jpg
IMG_7867.jpg
IMG_7869.jpg
who are looking forward to the new Redcat Racing mini truck bed dancer here is my impression of major impatience!!!!!
Wanting to stay with the mini truck scene I found a set of files on Cults for an '90's S15, after about 60 hours of printing the various body parts here is the body. Yep, will need a lot of body work!
Now, the bed, using some photos I found online and inspiration by @Nikaidocustomz on IG I have come up with a Z rack that looks like after some manual testing might work! Waiting for a 6 channel receiver to test it out before I continue with the suspension and body work. Open to any constructive criticism!! #minitruckscene #minitrucks

joe122

Little update on my GMC S15 "baby square body" bed dancer. This is a resin print, my 3rd body that I have printed. NO WAY was it anywhere ready for paint. these photos are after quite a bit of body work, sanding and high build primer, first coat. But I have a roller!!! Added the cowl hood, going to add a front roll pan as well, lots of body work to do and I need to wire it up and test the bed!!!
IMG_7886.jpg
IMG_7887.jpg
IMG_7888.jpg
IMG_7889.jpg
IMG_7891.jpg
IMG_7892.jpg

Frizzen

That's already looking pretty sweet!
Am i seeing a 3 stage Z-rack on the bed?

I know you already mentioned doing both Rollpans, any thoughts on things like spoiler, tonnau cover, truck cap, battery racks, pumps, randomly shaved stuff, frenched stuff at weird angles...

I didn't know Redcat is doing one too.

joe122

Cool!
I hadn't even heard of the Redcat one until you started this!
Yep, in conjunction with Vevries! Thanks!
That's already looking pretty sweet!
Am i seeing a 3 stage Z-rack on the bed?

I know you already mentioned doing both Rollpans, any thoughts on things like spoiler, tonnau cover, truck cap, battery racks, pumps, randomly shaved stuff, frenched stuff at weird angles...

I didn't know Redcat is doing one too.
Yep, Jevries has been working with them, late '24 release I believe. Yes, 3 stage Z rack, will be testing it today in fact. Will have tonneau, spoiler is a great idea, did one on a 1/10 scale K10 before. Bed accessories are a possibility, shaved handles - yes, frenched items like license plate, maybe!!! Thanks!!

Kear

Bleb
I can't see what I assume is suppose to be a video...But knowing the work you do I can imagine the result is fantastic!

I'm more a fan of the rounded/bar of soap lookin' later S10s, but the earlier square ones have a charm all their own!

But lookin' closely, is the cab shell printed using an FDM printer or is it also resin printed? I ask because I see some small flaws in the print that look like fairly common defects with an FDM print.

joe122

The way it wiggles makes it look very realistically like fiberglass!
I think it's a lucky visual outcome!! Thanks!
I can't see what I assume is suppose to be a video...But knowing the work you do I can imagine the result is fantastic!

I'm more a fan of the rounded/bar of soap lookin' later S10s, but the earlier square ones have a charm all their own!

But lookin' closely, is the cab shell printed using an FDM printer or is it also resin printed? I ask because I see some small flaws in the print that look like fairly common defects with an FDM print.
It's a resin print, has more body work underway currently, just working out the proof of concept first. I don't mind the "boxy" S10/S15's, rounder would be cool too!! Thanks!!

joe122

Resin prints are not easy to get paint ready! If smooth is your thing than significant body work is required IMO! So, S15 bed dancing Sonoma has had some body work and a few mods done. Added a front roll pan and modified a '68 Camaro front bumper for it. Shaved the door handles, molded the rear roll pan into the tailgate, frenched the license plate opening into the tailgate and added a little spoiler. Need to add the tonneau cover, address more body work and get ready for color.
IMG_7966.jpg
IMG_7967.jpg
IMG_7969.jpg
IMG_7968.jpg
IMG_7969.jpg

joe122

Love color day!! Was time, enough sanding! S15 Sonoma has got color, bottom is #tropicalglitz Cosmic gold, top is their Shifty Psycho Inferno with Sunburn Metal Flake on top of both colors. Used UPOL 2K clear for topcoats. Now cure and possibly wet sand!!
IMG_8022.jpg
IMG_8024.jpg
IMG_8025.jpg
IMG_8027.jpg
IMG_8028.jpg
IMG_8029.jpg
IMG_8031.jpg

Kear

Bleb
...That color combo makes me want a burger and fries...dunno what it could be...

Jokes aside, looks like all that prep was well worth it!

joe122

Assembly, started to get things together, still have rest of wiring, interior/glass, bed cover etc. Sonoma / bed dancer is close to grabbing a video. Added a bat wing vintage style air cleaner, a bit of engine wiring/fuel line and added some chrome to the modified '68 Camaro front bumper. After stretching the frame, it got some #tropicalglitz Cosmic Gold as well. Used a few #scalemetalsupplies tabs to get things bolted where necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_8039.jpg
    IMG_8039.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8040.JPG
    IMG_8040.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8041.JPG
    IMG_8041.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8053.jpg
    IMG_8053.jpg