Volvo C202

indigo

Supporting Member
Update

Still in lockdown, so I have some time to work on the C202. I made nine door handles and one spare wheel carrier from aluminum sheet material, finished all five doors on the inside and outside and hinged them to the body. I added slats to the sides and front (only the ones that are made out of wood on the original are still missing, but I'll add these after painting) and made a wooden air vent for the front. I tried to soften and mold a piece of polystyrene first, because that would look more like the original one, but it didn't work out at all. But the wooden one looks good too. :-).

The exterior is almost finished now (but I need to order some more stuff to really finish it).

Time to move on to the interior, starting with the dashboard, because when that's finished, I can design the custom PCB for the remote control, freeing the trunk.

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Just spectacular. I have such a soft spot for all things Volvo, Pinz, etc. Keep up the amazing work.

indigo

Supporting Member
More progress

Time to post some progress again...

I made somewhat longer front shock mounts to allow a little more travel. Same design as the previous ones, just 4mm longer.

I added the structure of the dash board and designed a PCB with the microcontroller, the radio module, the power supply, some I/O and a lot of connectors. I also added support for some extra sensors and trailer lights which are not yet installed. It perfectly fits inside the dashboard structure. The IMU and GPS are on top of the front wheel fenders and will be integrated in the front seats later on. The ESC fits behind the motor under the hood in the cargo area, so all electronics are more or less hidden. :-)

And then... my first airbrush job ever. I thought a lot about @dagabba's comment on varnishing it to keep the wood structure. I liked the idea to keep the wood structure, but also wanted it to look much more real than just varnished. So I tried to be gentle with the paint and I managed to neatly cover everything while still keeping the visible wood grain. Perfect compromise.

Although the paint job is not perfect, I'm quite content with the result.

And I found a driver for the car. Here he is (still before the paint job):

Deric

You know it is getting serious when a guy is making his own circuit board! Seriously, nice build man. Looking forward to the progress.

Deric

dagabba

Supporting Member
Not sure about any compromising here, it looks stunning!

Great job sir, such depth of skill with all the electronics, etc too!

indigo

Supporting Member
Life had some surprises for me, both good and bad and they all took time and energy. So although my last update dates from a long time ago, my Volvo C202 is not yet finished. My kids even call it my life project by now. :giggle:

It took some time, but I finally finished the remote control. As you probably expected, it's made from wood. The small joysticks were not accurate enough, so I bought an old transmitter to get real sticks. The right one is used for steering and the left one for the throttle and the transmission.

As the 2.4GHz band is used for quite a lot of other stuff, I wanted to implement a FHSS (frequency hopping spread spectrum) algorithm. It didn't take much time to implement a first version, but with the standard modules (the only ones I had back then), the range was really limited. If my hands were in the way (which is not really avoidable if you make a remote control), it didn't even work reliably if the car was two or three meters away from the controller and me. So I ordered a set of PA/LNA modules (they add a power amplifier for the outgoing signal and a low noise amplifier for the incoming signal). These are supposed to be plug-in replacements, but it didn't work at all. In the end, it was just a timing issue. The PA/LNA modules need more time to hop to the next channel. So with some fiddling (well, a lot of fiddling), I implemented a FHSS algorithm that allows two way communication, jumps at 20Hz through 40 channels in the 2.4GHz band and seems to work reliable, even if there is interference at some channels. I also added software to configure the remote control via the touch screen (calibrate the stick positions, set the setpoints of the servos and set the transmission power of the radio modules in the remote control and the car). The car settings are stored in the car and the transmitter settings are stored in the transmitter, so I can easily extend the transmitter to multiple cars in the future.

And yes, the car even stores the odometer in its EEPROM memory (using an algorithm for wear leveling so that it doesn't kill its EEPROM memory).

Work on the body is limited. I finished the rear part of the interior (including the motor cover with its challenging shape) and placed windows (in rubbers for the rear windows and sliding in a U-profile for the front door windows).

Next step is the front side interior...

Last edited:

Flatriver

Supporting Member
That is the coolest Volvo I have seen. Nice freaking job! I can’t imagine the brain power needed to pull off what you are doing, flawlessly. 👊

indigo

Supporting Member
I finally finished the interior of the car. Everything is made from wood (that shouldn't be a surprise by now). The steering wheel was a bit of a challenge and would have been easier from brass, but I'd like to avoid adding metal parts close to my transceiver module as much as possible. It's not that clear on the photos (only a bit on the third one), but I'm really happy with how the sanded plywood dust covers came out. And I shamelessly copied the idea of the owner's manual from @Stingray. :giggle:

20230416_193003.jpg

20230416_182907.jpg

20230416_182755.jpg

There are only a few details left to do: adding the mudflaps, mirrors, exhaust and windscreen wipers (still not sure how to make the latter best, I'll have to browse the forum a bit), fitting the driver in the driver's seat and painting the inside of the LEDs so that they only shine outwards. And maybe I redo the seats as they are quite heavy right now (they are made of a few layers of high quality plywood and sanded to shape) and the car is already quite heavy in the front.

Stingray

There is no copyright on that idea :) Its always handy to have a manual nearby. For maintenane of course. Old volvos don't need repair :D

Awesome interior you built there!