Turbo Ford.... Here we go again.

2Beers

It's me again.
A guy has been hard at it my friends.
Pulled all needed motor brackets and front sump oil pan off the Bobcat 2.3l, plus 4 speed trans.
Then clean clean clean. what a grungy mess.
But yaaaaa.
Thanks for the peeps.IMG_2636.jpegIMG_2637.jpeg

dagabba

Supporting Member
So cool Ron!

I think a lot of us would love to have a go at building 1:1s... great to see someone doing it!

2Beers

It's me again.
Thanks dag.
Just think (BIG Model Car) ahahahaa
but yes,
Radio is cranking....
Rust and Grime a flying.....
And Paint is applying............
Weeeeeeeeeeee
it's so much.IMG_2638.jpegIMG_2639.jpeg

2Beers

It's me again.
Greetings and hello.
Wire harness and clutch arrived.
Smashed the clutch and trans back on engine and crammed it in.
Yay fer our team.
Enjoy and thanks for the peeps.
IMG_2643.jpegIMG_2644.jpegIMG_2645.jpegIMG_2646.jpeg

Dragonsland7

For a moment I thought this was the car from Wayne's World. I was so off! This Pacer, sorry Pinto is looking really clean, would love to here it purr.:biggthumpup:

2Beers

It's me again.
Huge thanks guys.
Very appreciated.
I would hate to even scratch the the 1985 second paint job, hence the paper. It still looks amazing.(wink)
Made huge leaps and bounds today on wire installations and understanding the beast.
Pics coming.
Thanks for following along.

2Beers

It's me again.
::2thumbs
Ron Francis wire harness kicks butt my friends.
Very simple and some pictures of mock up to make sure things where going to fall into place.
Money well spent and very ticked.
First I laid out the complete donor car full wire harness ....
Things then fell into place after that on comparing Peter from Paul .
::2thumbs
Should make huge leaps and bounds in the next few days on lots of the other littles.
More soon.
IMG_2647.jpegIMG_2648.jpegIMG_2649.jpegIMG_2651.jpegIMG_2652.jpeg

2Beers

It's me again.
Making slow progress, but it's coming along great.
Marking things off my list of to do's.::2thumbs
Drive line installed. clutch cable and adjusted, throttle cable, VAM ready for a Cone filter, Intercooler fit but would not have been very functional So radiator hose and a piece of exhaust with some header tape for that straight shot no lag kind of business.
Located and pegged in littles.
Lots of wires still to tidy up and cover to make pretty.
Enjoy and thanks for looking.
IMG_2653.jpegIMG_2656.jpegIMG_2655.jpeg

Frederik

Supporting Member
Huge progress lately! Looks like things are going pretty good :) Why was the intercooler not very functional? I was under the impression that having an intercooler would be a big plus, was there a way you could have kept it functional? I guess it was not seeing enough flow at a cool air place?

2Beers

It's me again.
Huge progress lately! Looks like things are going pretty good :) Why was the intercooler not very functional? I was under the impression that having an intercooler would be a big plus, was there a way you could have kept it functional? I guess it was not seeing enough flow at a cool air place?
Thanks fred
The stock IC was a very poor design to begin with on this motor.
They sat it right above the exhaust . Silly as its designed to cool air off. Huge topics on the area and design.
Defiantly a engineer Fail at trying to be advanced trick for the day.
I had no clearance once hood shuts to incorporate the forced air induction on top the IC...One reason most of the other builds buy after market tube and etc and stick them out front.

2Beers

It's me again.
Whens the G42 1450 go in?
Ahahahaha
No on that big of a turbo.
Ahahahaha
Mine currently is a IHI. it's the smallest one they made.
I could up grade to the T3 off one of the early 85 TC parts cars (Bigger).
For my application though and stock wimpy 90 HP drive train...bess to keep it stock. these motors are double the HP from 165 to 190 HP
Although with this current set up....Should have great response with almost no lag on spool.
hehehehee
More then plenty to shuck the 4 speed trans or 6.5 diff on a hard launch.
Thanks.

SurlyBurly

Supporting Member
I think you could pull off a 1450 if you wanted to. Just put a small block in the trunk to help it spool, no problem.

2Beers

It's me again.
I think you could pull off a 1450 if you wanted to. Just put a small block in the trunk to help it spool, no problem.
Thanks.
Too funny, Mid engine would be a hoot too, ahahaaaaa
Most people building from these little motors are pulling 300 HP and More from them, crazy little 4 cyl. motors anywhooo.
Their are some HUGE Turbo set ups and trick applications.
Lots of info if you do the google and or u of tube search on them.
Pintos, Rangers, Thunderbirds, Falcons, Model A's, Volks wagon sandrails, even putting them in Datson's 260/280 Z's.
Pretty amazing and theirs tons of Drag racing setups into the low 10 seconds stuff.
Their little mighty mouses sleepers no doubts.

Spent most of the day removing yesterday ...very carefully ... heater and box.
Cleaned it up and out, and made spacers studs so it can sit back and clear Exhaust Down Pipe.
With that out of the way, I now will build a computer tray that sits just above glove box.
I will also locate new relay tree and and small fuse block that are part of the new wire harness,
Just tons of little consuming littles to situate...ugh.

"Bad BoB" ..the 1980 Mercury Bobcat I built and gave my daughter came back home yesterday too.
It needs some love again also. UGH..ahahaaaaa:crazy:
Any ways , thanks again and with a three day weekend here, Hope to get a lot of the littles buttoned up.
More soon.

2Beers

It's me again.
Small exciting update my friends.
Been super busy with life and etc, .....
But
I finally got the little car to start with it's new Power plant.
YAY!
I did struggle a little bit on the start up...to be expected, and was a simple timing issue.
But YAY!
anyways, I have to take one step back on it as the heater core needs removed and either fixed or replaced ...small drip in side of car.
That being said, I'm probably about a month out on getting to drive it.

I still need to make all the wires pretty now that it starts and runs.
Time it
Exhaust
Hook fancy Tach up
then triple check everything from fluids to bolts.

Winning Though.
Been a pretty fun little simple project.
Hope to have a running vid and more pictures shortly.
Thanks for looking and following along my Ford journeys .

2Beers

It's me again.
Greetings and hello
Just a few fun pics.
Big blue air filter ...check
and making wires pretty.
Still waiting on a ordered heater core...ugh.
And poor old "Bad Bob" Mercury Bobcat turbo swap...needs some loving again too.
Enjoy and thanks for looking.
Over the hump and it's all down hill from here.
IMG_2657.jpegIMG_2658.jpegIMG_2659.jpegIMG_2660.jpegIMG_2661.jpegIMG_2662.jpeg

Frederik

Supporting Member
Very cool to see a turbo under the hood of that little car! :) The wrap on the piping should help it not soak in all the heat from the engine bay. But it seems like the stock up-pipe is back on in the last pic! lol Changed your mind or just a photo mix up? :hmmm:

Seems like you could have a top mount intercooler sitting there on the left, with an off center subaru hood scoop :laughing: with some proper air routing and sealing around the intercooler it could work, but the outside look would suffer quite a bit!

2Beers

It's me again.
Very cool to see a turbo under the hood of that little car! :) The wrap on the piping should help it not soak in all the heat from the engine bay. But it seems like the stock up-pipe is back on in the last pic! lol Changed your mind or just a photo mix up? :hmmm:

Seems like you could have a top mount intercooler sitting there on the left, with an off center subaru hood scoop :laughing: with some proper air routing and sealing around the intercooler it could work, but the outside look would suffer quite a bit!
Thanks Fred
Its two different cars my friend. ahahahaaaa
First pics are the 1974 pinto
last two pics are the 1980 Bobcat I did years ago.

The header exhaust tape should help keep things cooler no doubts.
I might eventually put a IC in and do the cut and 90 degree rotate on the manifold to make it all work.

Heater core should be here today and a feller can finish putting interior all back together.
Checked all the original lights and new gauges...all is golden and went forth making more wires pretty on the inside.
Even bolted down driver side seat again.

Down to purchasing a few littles and figure out exhaust.
Hopefully a running vid today and down the road under its own power.
Straight down pipe pissed off 4 cyl no muffler ought to really wake the neighbors up heheheheheeee.
I'm a bad bad man.

:shhh:::D::laughing::laughing::laughing:::awwcrap