Turbo Ford.... Here we go again.

2Beers

It's me again.
Hello and greetings my friend.
Those that know me ... Know I like to build something fun every year.
Although I wasn't planning on nothing actually for this one.

But, when a feller gave me 2 FREE Ford Turbo thunderbirds that are getting pretty rare.....
Cars that I was chasing for over 8 years, Well I just had to have them.
1986 flavors by the way.
2.3 4cyl 5 speed cars.

My father knocked a bird in the head first and implanted all drive train into a ford pinto.
Turned out amazing.
I did the same a few years back to a Mercury Bobcat, same looks as a pinto.

We still have a ton of parts and one complete 1987 T-bird with 100 thousand on the car.
As I gave the Bobcat..affectionately know as "Bad Bob" to my daughter two years ago....I need another giggle box.

So some quick phone calls and a drive down my street to a neighbor mechanic, I scored a beautiful little 1998 Ferd Ranger.
You know that truck, you ain't no stranger.... Yup a Ferd freaking Ranger..ahahahaa
$100.00 stupid score. Bad engine.
2wd, automatic of the 3.0 V6 kind.
Perfect donor rig for the Heart transplant.(y)

Thanks for looking , pics and progress shortly to another crazy fun build.

SurlyBurly

Some day I'll be both revered & passe like Madonna
My first car was an '83 Turbochicken, loved that car. Hard to knock a 4 banger rAnger either, especially with boost.

2Beers

It's me again.
My first car was an '83 Turbochicken, loved that car. Hard to knock a 4 banger rAnger either, especially with boost.
Thanks
They are a hoot.
Having computer and wifi problems but hope it's fixed today.
Current situation is stripping wire harness from one of the 1986 cars knee deep in mouse poooo.
Not much fun but hope to have some pics shortly of all the folly's.
Going forward on stripping down all three Turbo coupes.
I will be using the 1987 coupe for drive train.

Anyways.
More soon, thanks for looking and following along

2Beers

It's me again.
Been a crazy last few weeks for life.
The small up date is.....
I managed to get one of the 1986 birds stripped down for it's goodies and gone...
Wrangled my son up and we went and retrieved the 1987 car yesterday and it's currently waiting now to be stripped down.

I will be documenting on a few of the ford forums of the build, I'm finding out theirs not much information on the 1998 ranger conversion to a 2.3 turbo. Been a Ton of research.
Going to be a huge undertaking no doubts...bye bye summer I guess ahahahah.
More soon guys.

2Beers

It's me again.
Very little progress my friends...so missing my tiny trucks...
Such is life sometimes.
Current dilemmas.
Time to finally go forward with the Ranger build YAY!
Every things pulled , even a wire or two, parts are cleaned up.
And it's finally go forward two steps and not back none I hope.
Trucks ready to have 2.3 set into it along with trans.
Any who.....new computer and so Hopefully pics go threw and etc..etc. Technology got love it.
Enjoy and thanks for the peeps my friends.

IMG_2581.jpegIMG_2582.jpegIMG_2583.jpegIMG_2584.jpegIMG_2585.jpegIMG_2588.jpeg

2Beers

It's me again.
Thanks my good friend.
I'm hoping it comes around shortly.
So much left to do.
I do have some after market wheels found for $20.00. Just need time to go get them.
Should give it the little bit of hot rod attitude I'm looking for. heheheheee.
3 day holiday weekend coming. Hoping to make lots of headway on it.
More soon.

2Beers

It's me again.
Hello and greetings.
Set 2.3 motor in ranger...no worky because interference between steering and motor mounts.
Sold ranger.....waiting to scrounge up a wee bit more mad money to buy 1975/76 Ford Pinto pony , Mint...
:ROFLMAO:::2thumbs::D:
End of thread.

2Beers

It's me again.
Aww, haha- looking forward to the Pinto thread!
Thanks dag

Still waiting on a bonus to land.
I was able to bumpy paint my xj jeep though why we wait.
I'll be ordering a lift kit for it too shortly,
Too many 1:1 projects happening , but I'm ready to get back on my bench or back yard trails too and play tiny trucks no doubts.

2Beers

It's me again.
:beerchug:;)
Ferd Pinto Pony acquired....
On wards and up wards....Yay ! for another expensive hobby / project.
90,000 original, New paint,1974 with some pretty nice interior even.... Score.
Now comes the work...ugh.
Enjoy and thanks for looking.
IMG_2607.jpegIMG_2606.jpeg

Says it's been to 2 car shows...2018 and 2019... stickers on windshield.
::D:::2thumbs

Frederik

Supporting Member
It gets quite interesting! Are you going to put the Pinto stuff here, or are we going to see a new thread pop?

Also looking at the 74 Pinto, is there any mod to bring the bumper back in a bit? It seems like they went overboard on some collision standards and put the bumper at a crazy overhang. Seems like a smaller and flusher bumper would look good on this!

2Beers

It's me again.
It gets quite interesting! Are you going to put the Pinto stuff here, or are we going to see a new thread pop?

Also looking at the 74 Pinto, is there any mod to bring the bumper back in a bit? It seems like they went overboard on some collision standards and put the bumper at a crazy overhang. Seems like a smaller and flusher bumper would look good on this!
Thanks my friend.
I'll just keep using this thread.
On bumpers.... It is possible. My father has even scooooched his rear bumper in.
They had a small pretty bumper in the early 70's that look ten times better too. My father has one of those installed on his plus it's way lighter too.
I'm going to most likely leave the cometic appearance alone on this one though for the sleeper looks.
It's actually a very neat car I'm finding out.
All the original purchase stuff was found in glove box, Along with a little black book that the owner kept.
Full details down to him cleaning it even let alone all the little fixes and oil changes etc.
It was a very loved car. Pretty amazing to read threw it all.

My list of new parts and what needs to happen are growing.
Off today to go get a stock 2.3 from a mustang 2 for some of the littles.
You have to use the front sump oil pan off a stock motor and swap out on the bird 2.3l as its rear sump.
Whats cool is the oil pick up only needs removed and relocated to the front as they where universal.
Same with the dipstick location. Plug and play...

More to come and thanks for following along.

2Beers

It's me again.
Having issues finding chassis motor mount towers.
But here are some pics.
I did acquire a drive line, Stock 2.3 and an extra oil pan.
Todays purchase was.
Engine stand, New mechanical gauges, steering rag joint, along with tach...white face of course ahahahah and some paint.
Anywhooooo
Enjoy and thanks for the peeps.
More soon.
IMG_2609.jpegIMG_2612.jpegIMG_2610.jpegIMG_2611.jpegIMG_2613.jpeg

2Beers

It's me again.
vin pic for my info and a share.
Might actually be a rare duck.
and the ford bibles that was in the car along with little black book .
IMG_2614.jpegIMG_2616.jpeg

2Beers

It's me again.
Great news
Was actually able to purchase ..off the shelf.. locally, all needed tune up littles.
Purchase was
Timing belt
plugs
wires
cap-n-Rotor
Filter and oil.
Cosmetics littles, .....new seat covers, matching steering wheel cover ,and a key chain fob.
O'rileys (local parts store)
They did state they had nothing at all for stock 2.3 1979 oil pan gasket Kit. But a quick search on the Bay...their are plenty to be had on the cheap even.

I then hit the pavement.
I was able to find both cars on my leads.
Found a blue 77/76 pinto wagon. Missing drivetrain and hood but in great shape. Storage unit compound though. Good luck on finding a owner..ugh
Second was about another 30 miles away out in the sticks...(Banjo plays in Distance).
Produced a 1979 Mercury Bobcat.
Car was complete, rust free and less the mouse crap on floor boards in fantastic shape. Run when parked in 2003. Motor tired. Clean title.
Bought it (huge grins)..cash $500.00..Pic up in the next few days and I'll throw up some pics then.

Up next was to pick motor up off floor and hang on engine stand.
Stripped off power steering and alternator and the huge aluminum bracket that holds them.
I will be using stock early Alternator bracket off an early 2.3 block. Will be changing out the 87 bird serpentine belt to the double Old school V belt system or the v belt system of an 1986 TC donor.

Pics coming this weekend of more clean up and hopefully some fresh paint and parts.
Thanks for following along in my journeys.
The struggles are Ford real.

2Beers

It's me again.
Pulled drive train from Bobcat
Snagged needed motor mounts and I'll be dipped.
Being a rare 1974 with different motor options.
They bolt right in.
I'm finally impressed.
Bobcat stock locations.
IMG_2622.jpeg
1974 Pinto locations.IMG_2625.jpeg

2Beers

It's me again.
Chop chop whack whack.
You have to remove battery bump for Turbo oil line,
IMG_2627.jpegIMG_2629.jpegIMG_2630.jpegIMG_2633.jpeg

Ready for mock up then buzz buzz back together.