Tiny Small Mini Tamiya Cooper Rover (fun sized)

Small Factory

Fancy-Walkin'
I don't own any lexan cars. Honestly, none of them have ever interested me except the Tamiya Mini Cooper. I never got myself one 20ish years ago when they were available, and always wish that I did.

I was on the worlds largest online auction site, and I saw a new in box body with decals for sale, in the USA, for a very reasonable buy it now. I thought about its, then bought it then.

Since unpainted versions of this body is very rare, I sent it out to Moosejaw Joe for painting, since I do not own any lexan paints, dislike the process of painting lexan, and certainly did not want to experiment on this.

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1784.jpgIMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

Small Factory

Fancy-Walkin'
For the M-class chassis, there a basically 3 choices as far as I can tell: The M01/M03/M05/ect from Tamiya, for the serious track racer, there are the offerings from rc-xpress, and then MST has in interesting new offering as well called the TCR-M.

I went with the TCR-M due to it's very simple, but flexible layout. You can build it in 2 different track widths, and 4 different wheelbases. It also can be built in a front motor/FWD, mid motor/RWD or read motor/RWD. I built it in the smallest width/wheelbase as a FWD.

IMG_1793.jpgIMG_1794.jpgIMG_1795.jpgIMG_1796.jpgIMG_1798.jpgIMG_1799.jpgIMG_1800.jpg

Since this is only for my driveway. I went with a 35-turn on 2S. It was to fast on 3S for my allotted space, plus I don't want to destroy the body.
It's basically a Tamiya F1 gearing setup with some king-pin suspension.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMo

JMo

V.I.P. Member
Hee hee - love it! (well, except the lexan)...

I had a plan to build a Project Binky replica at some point - using the Tamiya MF-01x 4wd chassis, although I like that you've got the motor mounted up front in this iteration - that MST is an interesting chassis option!

JMo

V.I.P. Member
Out of interest (and not wanting to derail this thread of course) - do you know if it's possible to line a lexan shell with fibre-glass matting, to basically give it more rigidity - or would the resin melt the lexan?

I was thinking that a shell like this (or indeed any 'motorsport' application) might look good in raw fibreglass with effectively a lexan 'gel-coat' over the top if you see what I mean? - and you could always paint it externally, then if/as the paint wore you'd see the fibreglass showing underneath?

Small Factory

Fancy-Walkin'
Out of interest (and not wanting to derail this thread of course) - do you know if it's possible to line a lexan shell with fibre-glass matting, to basically give it more rigidity - or would the resin melt the lexan?

I was thinking that a shell like this (or indeed any 'motorsport' application) might look good in raw fibreglass with effectively a lexan 'gel-coat' over the top if you see what I mean? - and you could always paint it externally, then if/as the paint wore you'd see the fibreglass showing underneath?
I am sure someone has tried it. I know metal masher makes molds from lexan bodies all the time, then uses the mold for his aluminum bodies. I imagine the biggest issue would be the ability to not have the fiberglass weld to the lexan.

Reactions: JMo

JMo

V.I.P. Member
I am sure someone has tried it. I know metal masher makes molds from lexan bodies all the time, then uses the mold for his aluminum bodies. I imagine the biggest issue would be the ability to not have the fiberglass weld to the lexan.

Yes, sorry that was what I meant - basically to leave the lexan shell as a 'gel coat' on top of the fibreglass, so I would want the two joined together so the whole assembly is thicker/more rigid - just not have the resin actually dissolve the lexan.

I might have to try it!