The Out House "Thunder Box" "Dunny"

scaleguy

I had a heap of scale-ish timber, lumber, wood.
The frame

Weather boards are on

Inside before the hole & lid are installed.
I made some wood louvers for ventilation that cover the opening in the back wall.

This isn't a pit toilet :huh:It has an access door for the can ::awwcrap

The roof is a temporary piece of plastic stuff and I didn't bother getting a pic :laughing:
I want to make some scale corrugated iron for the roof & if anyone knows an easy way to make some ... ::D:

Last edited:

Frizzen

Nice looking addition! Looks like some fine workmanship. Just needs the hole, a seat, paper holders, rolls of paper, vent chimney, some offroad magazines...

Never seen a 'casette toilet' outhouse before.

imthejaybird

I'm here...
For a corrugated roof you could use a thin sheet of styrene. My thought is to have a two pieces of plywood with thin strips of wood spaced in a manner that the two sheets interlock with one another. Maybe some small diameter dowel rod to keep from creating sharp edges. Then heat the styrene and press the two molds together to create the corrugated effect. Trim as needed, paint for patina effect, and enjoy.

There my be an easier way, but this is my first thoughts on the subject.

Nice looking build so far sir.

TLC

Scaled, but not fishy.
Rippa' dunny mate. ::2thumbs Add a few redbacks to Frizzen's list.....:laughing:
I second the styrene idea. I would go with 1mm thick and vacuum form the corrugated profile using an MDF buck. Being styrene you could then add all the rust, dents, nail holes and weathering you want.

scaleguy

For a corrugated roof you could use a thin sheet of styrene. My thought is to have a two pieces of plywood with thin strips of wood spaced in a manner that the two sheets interlock with one another. Maybe some small diameter dowel rod to keep from creating sharp edges. Then heat the styrene and press the two molds together to create the corrugated effect. Trim as needed, paint for patina effect, and enjoy.

There my be an easier way, but this is my first thoughts on the subject.

Nice looking build so far sir.
Thanks' imthejaybird
I think I will give that a try :biggthumpup:
Was thinking about using some very thin aluminum but styrene would be easier.

Last edited:

scaleguy

Rippa' dunny mate. ::2thumbs Add a few redbacks to Frizzen's list.....:laughing:
I second the styrene idea. I would go with 1mm thick and vacuum form the corrugated profile using an MDF buck. Being styrene you could then add all the rust, dents, nail holes and weathering you want.
Thanks' TLC
That sounds like a plan :hmmm: only thing is ... I honestly have no experience, no clue, no idea, how to vaccum form :confused2:
A few redbacks I can easily muster up :loll:
Gota luv Google :)
I went and searched and found this video >
I am now planning to watch a few more and maybe give this a go :biggthumpup:

Last edited:

imthejaybird

I'm here...
While you’re running the rabbit hole, check out @wesmade both here and on YT. He’s a vacuum forming master and has a couple of videos about his setup.

scaleguy

Nice looking addition! Looks like some fine workmanship. Just needs the hole, a seat, paper holders, rolls of paper, vent chimney, some offroad magazines...

Never seen a 'casette toilet' outhouse before.
Thanks' Frizzen
Additional items noted :hmmm:
Yes this little project is far from finished.
It needs a heathy dose of weathering :) so when it gets a proper roof it will be spending some time outside for some natural weathering:loll:

2Beers

It's me again.
Late to the party.
Here's an idea on roof.
Cardboard.
Inner structure after peeling off two out side layers.
Seal with modpodge or wood glue diluted with water...something to seal it then paint and seal again.
IMG_2911.jpeg

Great looking pooper though...
::2thumbs

scaleguy

Late to the party.
Here's an idea on roof.
Cardboard.
Inner structure after peeling off two out side layers.
Seal with modpodge or wood glue diluted with water...something to seal it then paint and seal again.
View attachment 42935

Great looking pooper though...
::2thumbs
Hay Thanks for the reply 2Beers
I've seen that done before on a smaller scale and it is very convincing :)

Zer02rc

Looks like 2Beers beat me to it, but the inner cardboard trick works wonders, a coating of Mod Podge can go a long way at adding strength and a smoother metal finish. Plus it adds some bulk to thicken the cardboard fiber.

scaleguy

Looks like 2Beers beat me to it, but the inner cardboard trick works wonders, a coating of Mod Podge can go a long way at adding strength and a smoother metal finish. Plus it adds some bulk to thicken the cardboard fiber.
Hey Thanks Zer02rc::D:
Yeah I'm gonna try that because the Vacuum forming deal is probably beyond my skill level :laughing:

Frizzen

Instead of vaccu-forming, i was thinking corrogated metal roof.
Tightly glue a bunch of chopsticks / skewers / dowl rods to a flat thing. Use some throw-away aluminum baking dish / tooling foil for the roofing material. Use a rounded chunk of same thing you made the form out of to press the curvy detail into it.

Bonus points if you make 2 of the lumpy flat things so it presses easier and flatter.

scaleguy

Instead of vaccu-forming, i was thinking corrogated metal roof.
Tightly glue a bunch of chopsticks / skewers / dowl rods to a flat thing. Use some throw-away aluminum baking dish / tooling foil for the roofing material. Use a rounded chunk of same thing you made the form out of to press the curvy detail into it.

Bonus points if you make 2 of the lumpy flat things so it presses easier and flatter.
Hey Frizzen ;)
I sorta thought along those line's and using some sort of a roller on top ? with the same profile as the bottom flat thingy bit "bed"
I was thinking that aluminum would be easy to age with some light sanding "scuffing" and then vinegar or similar just to give a blank canvas to work with ::D: