SSD Trail King

Timmahh

I also very much enjoyed my TK build. Was the first Kit I built in many years as I got out of RC around 2012.
And it is an excellent rig. I'm still fiddling and tweakin.

Had 120mm shocks with pen spring mod in full droop. ended up being too much movement and back to stock SSD Shocks, but thinking of putting on a set of 112mm I have here on my RedCat once I get shafts for the stock shocks on it.

Timmahh

They're Orange, but thae dark makes them look red in some pics.

Ya, the stock steering angle is out of sight on these rigs. both I had were killer.

I think SSD claims 53*. And I believe it though I have never checked it, it sure does make nice little circles driving. lol
I'm digging the Rover body. Where did you score that lil beauty?

It’s from Club 5 Racing. Overall I like the body kit but man it was a pain to assemble. Tiny Phillips head hardware that strips easily. A magnetic screw driver would be a must.

what brand is your blazer body? Looks good.

Timmahh

I didn't on this rig. lol

I was going for "Redneck puts Blazer Body on 2500HD Frame" look.

NAILED IT. lmao
If you look close you can see the rear wheel well has bee trimmed as has the front of the front well area so the wheels don't hit/rub the body.

I thought about centering the rear wheel, which would have pushed the front wheel farther forward, and would have been more 'Redneck" looking no doubt. lol

Ah I see. I’ve been thinking of picking up a second body for my trail king to run bigger tires and I like the k5 a lot. What did you do to mount the body? Skinkz mounts?

Timmahh

Fabbed up a few of my own. For the rear, I took 2 SSD body mounts, trimed them down and mounted them to the out side of the chassis rails which allowed me to use the 2 holes in the back of the bed area . They lined up almost perfect and keeps the body as low as it can be. a couple small body clips to hold the body down on the mounts.
You can see the two rear mounts here.

for the front I checked things over and noticed the front part that was made to help space/mount the rc4wd bumper, pretty much sat over the holes in the metal rcAwd bumper mount I used (over the stock plastics) So I had a small pieces of metal that had 2 holes that just happened to be the same width as the holes in the aftermarket mount. So I used a few longer screws, through the holes on the metal pieces I had, and threaded it into the 2 holds on the bumper mount. The placement couldn't have been better if I made it to work opposed to it just happening.

Basically the two screws go right down the inside corner on the center part of the body, and thread into the mount below, and the metal scrap pieces I used essentially pinch that front tab on the body to the mount.
The Center piece the hangs down for the actual bumper itself was cut off flush.

Lining up of body and rcAwd aluminum bumper mount.

Tab for bumper mount that was removed hanging down in this pic

Shot of the line up for the bolt holes on the inner corners on the front tab part of the body.

Decent shots of the 'metal scrap pieces' I'm using to pinch the body snug in the front.

Timmahh

Looks like it was made for! Nice rig man, I like it a lot.
Ya, it works out pretty well. Got the front bumper secured better. it was always a tad loose as I only had 3 bolts in it for a few.

Didn't do much since then besides run it. lol
Finally taking some time go get the Engine built, painted, detailed and finished up so It can be installed. Then I can get to the engine bay.

Some pics of the work on the SSD Engine. Going to make it a 572. BB.

Threw some of the Spatz chrome on the heads so they have that billet aluminum look. Also did the valve covers even though they are silver already. Then after they were dry I painted the valve covers gloss black and immediately wiped down the top of the fins to reexpose the Spatz giving the covers a nice Anodized and machined look.

Next was the copper gaskets. Can't build a strong engine without good copper gaskets.

Next came the Brass details.
Carb area.
Head bolts
Intake bolts
Gooseneck bolts.
Still need to do the timing cover bolts.

And the 15mm transmission cowling was also painted in the spatz chrome, and after I installed it on the motor, I painted its mounting bolts brass color to match.

And finally, Soft Plugs. As you can see I had the 2 front soft plugs already done but just used a sharpie.
On the side of the engine block, ofcourse there are no molded in soft plugs. so I made them. may have done one to many per side for scale, but it works and looks fine.
To made these softplugs I marked center for each hole, then drilled them out with an appropriate size bit. Then used the Sharpie to hit the inside edges of them, and get the small lip on the face of the block (need to clean it up a bit, I may repaint the block red and use the spatz for a better look, but once its done, aged, and everything is in place, i don't think it will matter too much, but I did make them look a little better than they are in these pics).

Once the inside edges were done, I cut 2 strips of foil tape and applied a strip the the inside covering the holes. I'll still probably use a little spatz just to fill them in a bit inside as you can still see a bit of the orange color of the block at the foil tape.

Before

And After

And a better pic of the carb area, which will be next to get the fuel lines plummed in as carb linkages built and put in place.

More later.

Timmahh

That motor matches that body perfectly. Nice work.
Thanks. I did paint it red opposed to the orange it was stock, which was almost a perfect match. lol
However I figured a red block was more apropos.

Few more details finished up for the night.

Tomorrow, fuel lines and carb linkage finally.

Timmahh

Ran the fuel lines and carb linkage and left the cable free to feed into the interior.
Also installed the air filter setup. Need to make or print a fuel pump and the rest of the front end parts, water pump, pullies, alternator, etc.
Also need to make the 572 badging for the valve covers get them painted and installed.

Few Steps Closer.

Still need to do plugs and plug wires, which will probably be the next venture I take on this engine build along with the 572 badging.
I found some 3d prints on thingiverse that are 1/10th v8 chevys and have the waterpump and fuel pump etc I may try to print and scale up/down as needed.
But moving forward still. May take me a minute to 'get to it', but once I do, I try to be like a dog on a fresh hambone. lol