Smooth out those PLA prints without sanding.

Wrencher

A very easy method to finish parts with out sanding. I used this method on the wheels for the Icon FJ44 wheels i felt it worked very good. Just make sure you do a couple light coats and dont try to apply it too thick. here is the video that I learned from.

On some smaller parts I also tried an even easier method. First I would spray the model with a thin coat of flat primer. Once that had dried I sprayed over primer with some gloss paint. The gloss seems to settle in the low spots of the layer seams. Once that has dried really well, Paint over the gloss with what you want your top layer or finish to be. I found it worked very well on parts that where to small to sand. just enough to hide the layer lines a bit.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited:

kildan

Newbie but not really new
thanks for these suggestion, it is certainly faster than sanding-priming method for a whole car body

Bill Maryka

Supporting Member
I use automotive high fill primer. Its heavier than regular primer and sand between coats. Most time the grooves are gone in 3 coat.

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
I use automotive high fill primer. Its heavier than regular primer and sand between coats. Most time the grooves are gone in 3 coat.
Sadly, along with a lot of the details! Try the resin method, while I somehow missed this thread, I did my own research and found that it works substantially better than High-Fill primer.

Lem

Check out HIPS, 20% lighter, easily sandable, all kind of glues work, temp resistant like PETG. Needs enclosure, warps like ABS.

Lem

i love in hamburg, germany melted my body within 30min in april sun. ok, black filler was a bad idea, though.