SLS AMG Roadster 1:5 ASAP

luto92

So yeah gotta get started some time I guess so why not now?

How shall I start?

Well this is my project I'm getting on soon. As I said in my "Introduce yourself" thread, right now I'm building a Cobra 427 sixth scale but since I'm done on it soon and I don't feel like I've made it scale enough. So yeah this was the reason for a new project even scalier.

Don't ask me why I've chosen this car anyway but I think it's because I just love it and could find so many pictures and informations about this rod.

In my case ASAP means: "as scale as possible". From the chassis to the body through powertrain or electronics.

I don't know how you mods feel about posting pictures I found on the internet, do you guys want the link to the pictures under the pics I insert or what?

Anyways...

As some of you might know, the SLS has an aluminum chassis I'll try to imitate.

While being impatient I already bought the necessary aluminum profile to make the chassis.

I'll try to post some pics as soon as I'll have found out how to. The only thing I can find is to post from URL. And I actually want from my computer.

Check out my Youtube Channel to see how it's going!

Cheers Lucas

Last edited:

Frederik

Supporting Member
Hi there, I use photobucket to upload my pictures, and they then provide a link which you copy and paste in the insert picture button visible when typing your reply. Or you can manually encapsulate the link in img brackets. You can try quoting someone who posted pics, you'll see how it looks.

You can also hotlink pictures the same way by inserting the url to an online pic with the same img brackets, but generally speaking it is better to save them on your computer andnupload them to photobucket so you are not dependent on another website for your pics to work, and are not stealing their website bandwidth :)

I'll be looking for updates on this one!

luto92

Hi again,

I'm trying to post a picture so I know how to do it later on with the other ones.

I hope you guys don't expect too much text, I'll mainly post pics with the most important informations. If you're interested in details and all, just ask and I'll answer with pleasure :)

Now back to the car:

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Roadster fifth scale.

For now, since I still have the Cobra project running, I'm just planning and make up ideas on how to replicate all the details.

I need to tell you guys my working conditions since I don't want you to expect me to have a lathe or milling machine...

Dremel, Scalpel, different types of glue, screws, bolts and stuff, several materials I've been collecting etc...

Oh and... limited budget :worry: so please don't ask me why I ain't taking carbon fiber or what so ever :)

So to start, I will need to make the chassis which I've already worked on a little. I know I said I'll finish the Cobra first but hey I could'nt wait no more.

10 mm square tube was the ingredient for the chassis basis. A rough mock-up should look like this:

313173-IMAG1330-jpg

What I'm trying to reach with Aluminum Sheet and Styrene is the following:

243584-0360af2f-jpg

As soon as this will be done, I'll move on to the axles and suspension.

Halme

V.I.P. Member
Good luck to this massive project! One of my fav modern cars. Checked out your other project at rockcrawler.de and I'm sure that you can handle this!

You said As Scale As Possible.. does that include explosives and yellow colour? :laughing: :biggthumpup:

luto92

Good luck to this massive project! One of my fav modern cars. Checked out your other project at rockcrawler.de and I'm sure that you can handle this!

You said As Scale As Possible.. does that include explosives and yellow colour? :laughing: :biggthumpup:

Hi Halme!

Yes, this will be massive and will need an estimated time of 2 years.

How do you mean explosive and yellow colour?

Cheers Lucas

Halme

V.I.P. Member
Hi Halme!

Yes, this will be massive and will need an estimated time of 2 years.

How do you mean explosive and yellow colour?

Cheers Lucas

Just kidding here with the facts that the original one had exploding bolts on the doors that pop them off when car is upside down, and that the full electronic version was painted with this horrible neon-lemon colour. If I remember right it was like that!

I am big fan of older Mercedes but have only three of them anymore.

luto92

Oh now I understand what you meant! ;)

Well since this is the roadster with normal doors and not gullwing doors, explosives won't be needed in this case. Nevertheless, this would be a nice detail.

The neon yellow colour is for the 2010 SLS AMG E-Cell which was a prototype and kind of a predecessor for the SLS AMG Coupe Electric Drive, the one with the shining metallic blue paintjob. Both of them have 4 electric motors.

The one I want to build is the classical with the 6.3 (6.208 ccm) Liter V8 with the transaxle layout. This version does not have colours like that. Even though I planned the entire car already in my head, I haven't thought of any paintjob yet. Can't decide.

luto92

Seems like I've started !?!

I had some problems on the Cobra regarding the putty and spray filler which solved up each other. This got me sick and angry so I put the Cobra aside and thought about a start of the SLS.

My main thread is on a german forum since I'm German so I'll post there everytime I've got something new. As the double translate-and-new-post-work with all the pics and all is kind of time-consuming, I thought about updating you guys every now and then.

I hope you guys get the most of my English since it's not my mother language.

I thought about soldering these aluminum square tubes (which I'll call AST for time saving) but soldering aluminum is quite hard. Plus I need to wait a little to get soldering aluminum stuff from my dad who lives 200 km's away (125 miles).

So first things first, I had to make up some ideas on how to bond those profiles strongly in order to make that "outstanding strength" chassis worth its name.

I had some rests of JB Weld which I thought of using but like every other 2K-bonding stuff, a plane surface is not the best basis for the glue because it won't hold the stress.

So just to make sure my 30 mph+ car won't separate in half once I'm driving, I use bolts and screws.

The whole chassis is almost done with M3 hex bolts.(DIN 933)

The whole front is still bonded with black socket screws or how they're called... I'll replace them with the typical hex bolts soon.

The red marks on the internet pictures are to indicate what parts my chassis is.

On the crash test picture, you can almost say the blue parts are the chassis I've done yet.

The other yellow parts are soon to be done in aluminum sheets like that one Hilux some of you might know.

377931-IMAG1813-jpg

378173-IMAG1816-jpg

383122-IMAG1849-jpg

383125-IMAG1853-jpg

383120-IMAG1847-jpg

383359-IMAG1864-jpg

383360-IMAG1865-jpg

383361-IMAG1866-jpg

383365-IMAG1870-jpg

383364-IMAG1869-jpg

383607-IMAG1871-jpg

383605-ChassisTeil20160723-png

383601-40261de2-jpg

PS: those are not all the pictures, if you guys want to see them all, just weekly check the original thread on the german Forum

https://www.rockcrawler.de/index.ph...calig-wie-noch-nie-Baustart-Seite-8/?pageNo=1

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Cool build! Are you using any glues or adhesives with the screws and joints such as in the 1:1 Lotus Elise? It's my understanding and experience with my own limited building capabilities that metal fasteners and screws with aluminum tend to loosen over time.

luto92

Hi JunkGTZ,

this is definitely a good reminder! Since I planned to replace all those black bolts, I'll add some JB Weld to it. Thank you!

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
Hi JunkGTZ,

this is definitely a good reminder! Since I planned to replace all those black bolts, I'll add some JB Weld to it. Thank you!

I've never used JB Weld. Is it a form of epoxy? I've only used Duco cement on some things I didn't want to be permanent but wanted a good hold or just epoxy. I think Lotus uses epoxy in their modern chassis, but I will have to check out JB Weld.

Last edited:

luto92

It's some kind of 2-composite glue that you have to mix and apply on a clean and roughed surface. Works kinda like UHU Endfest 300, that's what we have in Europe. JB Weld has to be imported from UK to Germany, as far as I can remember. Bought this a long time ago.

Frederik

Supporting Member
Very nice, I will be following along! I looked at your full thread on the German site, tried to sign up to subscribe to your thread but can't figure out where to click lol! I guess I'll visit the site when you post new stuff here, thanks for sharing the build.

luto92

Hey Frederik, thanks for the compliments! I think you need to register on the Forum to be able to follow the thread. But as you said, checking the Forum regularly should do it! :)

luto92

Hey guys, I guess it's time for a new update!

I've progressed a little since last time.

I did the rear part, solid and stable as rock. Then onto the A-pillars and finally the last part that Needs to be built for strength, the shock Towers. I started with the front ones, since the rear ones must get some reinforcement that I need to build.

384577-IMAG1875-jpg

384578-IMAG1876-jpg

384579-IMAG1877-jpg

385164-IMAG1879-jpg

385165-IMAG1880-jpg

The glue itself doesn't really hold well onto blank metal so I drilled it a bit in order to give more grip.

390896-IMAG1939-jpg

390897-IMAG1940-jpg

390898-IMAG1941-jpg

390899-IMAG1943-jpg

390900-IMAG1944-jpg

The plan for the shock towers is to cut the shapes from 1,5 mm thick aluminum sheet (about 1/16") then bend and glue the parts together so I have a shock tower. Then I just have to adjust it a little, make it scale with holes and fake struts out of styrene and finally glue it to the chassis.

390901-IMAG1945-jpg

Enjoy the pics and stay Patient ::2thumbs

luto92

Hi guys, time for another update!

I worked on the floor paneling. For this, I had to build a structure first, or better say, finish the structure.

Here are some pics. I'm being kinda lazy and not really willing to write a novel so if you really want a lot of Details, as I already said, just check the German site and let Google translate do the Job.

395489-IMAG1974-jpg

395490-IMAG1975-jpg

395491-IMAG1976-jpg

397490-IMAG1996-jpg

I then worked on CAD and made some shock Towers and ordered a 3D print.

395504-CADScreenshot2-png

Got them!

398094-IMAG2010-jpg

As said, I started the paneling of the floor.

397492-IMAG1998-jpg

397495-IMAG2002-jpg

397496-IMAG2003-jpg

397498-IMAG2005-jpg

Some of you might know @Metal Masher 's awesome work on the true scale Toyota. I'm not even close to his art, but I gave it a try:

397501-IMAG2008-jpg

398096-IMAG2014-jpg

Mounted the rear shock towers:

398101-IMAG2020-jpg

And the front ones:

398852-IMAG2030-jpg

I then built the subframe in multiple sessions (Glue needs to dry)

It is brass because I needed to solder it at some spots because glue wouldn't do such a good job there.

For the whole bunch of pictures of that subframe, just ask for them and I'll post...

398863-IMAG2046-jpg

I planned do dunk it into molten wax, let it cool and then rub/cut/shape it to make it look like the original subframe. All the anchor points where something has to be fixed with a bolt will stay free. Then, when I have the shape I'm aiming for, I'll wrap it in glass fiber and epoxy. When this is done, I'll have drilled some holes here and there and will let some heat do the melting job. This way, the wax will get out and save some weight. Wish me luck!

(This procedure will be done as soon as I have finished all the drilling and tapping)

Stay tuned!

luto92

Looking great. I was wondering what happened with this build.

Thanks! Yea I kept working on it but kinda got too lazy to take care of several build threads so I focused on the one in my native language.

I definitely plan to finish it some day! :biggthumpup: