RC4WD soft (red) leaf springs

DaveInNoVa

Supporting Member
Do the softer leaf springs really help? I have a TF2 LWB with a decent amount of weight in the rear using the main leaf + the small helper leaf and it does OK but the front still seems stiff with a similar setup. I was thinking a pair of the softer leafs up front would resolve it. Any thoughts?
TF2.jpg

Kear

Bleb
Before you start playing with completely different springs, make sure everything is traveling smoothly, even small binds can make something feel stiff.

Then I'd try playing with the other helper springs and even where they're located, either above or below the main spring. springs above the main help with limiting droop, while springs below obviously increase the effective firmness of the spring pack.

Also, are you running a reverse kit on the front? with an untrimmed (referring to the body having the front valance under the grill) Mojave body you kinda need one on a TF2 because RC4WD decided massive amounts of interference is fine. Seriously, before I installed the reverse kit on my example of the same truck, I was only getting about one third or half the travel it was suppose to have.

DaveInNoVa

Supporting Member
The rear configuration has the small helper spring on the bottom and on the front I have it installed on top of the main leaf.
I don't feel any binding and I've already notched the front lip spoiler/valance area to accommodate the shortfall in RC4WD's engineering, but have yet to do the 'chino' mod on all four corners.

Kear

Bleb
The rear configuration has the small helper spring on the bottom and on the front I have it installed on top of the main leaf.
I don't feel any binding and I've already notched the front lip spoiler/valance area to accommodate the shortfall in RC4WD's engineering, but have yet to do the 'chino' mod on all four corners.

Hmm. It is possible that the front springs are literally just, stiffer. I have some Ebay leaf springs in which two are noticeably stiffer.

Also you might want to do a rough test of the balance, the truck could just be much heavier in the back.
I usually do this by just trying to pick up the truck rather loosely by the sliders. Moving my fingers until I find the point where the back stays planted instead of the front.

And of course if all that fails there is the various mods that can be done, mainly the chino and the O-ring, there is also my favorite which is just loosening all the screws so the whole suspension is dangerously wobbly.

DaveInNoVa

Supporting Member
You might be on to something regarding weight bias...the rear is significantly heavier than the front and maybe it's not entirely the spring's issue... it's possible there's just not enough weight up front to make them work like they should. I guess I could beef up the rear to 'move' the weight forward.

Regardless, I'll make the DIY mods this weekend.