RC and Animatronic build.

2Beers

It's me again.
I may try and hook up another little motor to run music box mechanism ...instead of winding it up.
Flip the 5 channel to turn on and off. I like how it sounds running at a lower speed too, as it's running out of steam from winding it up.
That my thoughts anyways.
See what happens and hope to have a worthy up date soon.
Thanks for following my silly little RC journey.

2Beers

It's me again.
Just a teaser.
Fido came in....Yay!
Who couldn't love that face......Just saying.
Anyways, Fido is going forth with a little operation shortly. Using the thread method so I don't loose to much material on the removal.
Plan is to have his head cock one way or the other with a flip of switch.;):biggthumpup:
Enjoy and thanks for looking.
More soon.
IMG_2720.jpeg
IMG_2722.jpeg
IMG_2724.jpeg

Probably but a small bandana/kercheif round his neck as a collar and hide rotation seam.

Last edited:

Frizzen

Awww, cute pup! It looks like it's about to try to LICK one of the sausages. I bet that'd make the puppy really WAG.

I know you just got a new 5 or 7 channel radio for this project, but for some reason i'm afraid you may need more channels before you're through with this guy...
Saw this setup at a meet a couple years ago, but can't remember what radio he was running

Last edited:

2Beers

It's me again.
Awww, cute pup! It looks like it's about to try to Lick one of the sausages. I bet that'd make the puppy really Wag.

I know you just got a new 5-channel radio for this project, but for some reason i'm afraid you may need more channels before you're through with this guy...
Saw this setup at a meet a couple years ago, but can't remember what radio he was running
Hahahahaaa
Thanks Frizz.
16 channels...whooeeeee. that would keep a person busy no doubts.:laughing:
I cheated and just installed another splitter Y cable.
They can look at each other and etc now.
The landing gear Chanel 5 was to fast and only one direction.
Any whoooo
Operation Fido a success .
Enjoy and thanks for looking.
IMG_2725.jpeg
IMG_2726.jpeg
IMG_2727.jpeg

I lucked out on the dog being as big as he was and able to put a servo in him.
Really brings a bit more to the whole set up also with him doing his thing.
I'm having no luck on a movie maker set up for my computer.
It's a Apple. Things won't work together from my picture uploads to a vid maker.
But hope to have something figured out shortly.
More soon :beerchug:

2Beers

It's me again.
Lets see.....
I'm wanting to maybe redo something else for a Back drop/Stage already.
Maybe a ...under a bridge look ...or a fence for back drop with some old signs.
Not sure yet ....and can't make up my mind..... Although he's protected being in the crate.

Music box Idea might not happen, I carefully removed wind up spring to try and install a small motor, but the little buggar is pretty precise on clearances of small gears and etc.
I'll concentrate on it this weekend to see if can still be done.

I also still need to find and order... flickering light for can, and motor for the foot tap actions.

Needing to add a little more padding is certain areas of body like arms, and legs to get things to look a bit better too.

All in all though I'm felling pretty good about the looks, movements and such.
Pretty fun project and hope to see some one else have a go at building one.
Only limited by imagination on all the things that could be done.;)

Frizzen

When you put him in the crate I was wondering if it might eventually need some kinda thing like a modular backdrop setup. Fences, brickwork, old barn wall, rough stone masonry, canvas tarp, stick lean-to, trees & bushes... stuff to help tie in to the real background when you do outside videos.

For the Motorized-Music-Grinder might be able to take a gearmotor with open gearbox, like maybe an N20, and mesh one of it's gears somewhere into the trans on the music box?

If'n the Left shoes upper doesn't want to be around the sole, Grubby sock? Toes? Get both?

Last edited:

2Beers

It's me again.
When you put him in the crate I was wondering if it might eventually need some kinda thing like a modular backdrop setup. Fences, brickwork, old barn wall, rough stone masonry, canvas tarp, stick lean-to, trees & bushes... stuff to help tie in to the real background when you do outside videos.

For the Motorized-Music-Grinder might be able to take a gearmotor with open gearbox, like maybe an N20, and mesh one of it's gears somewhere into the trans on the music box?

If'n the Left shoes upper doesn't want to be around the sole, Grubby sock? Toes? Get both?
Thanks frizz
Going to see what I can do on music box this morning.
I'm pretty sure I will Re-make a back drop too, Thinking It would be best and fit the theme a little better.
Might help the eye's focus on the ole feller and be a bit more believable.
I also have some toes that could be incorporated in that ole boot off the action figure.
;)
See where inspiration leads me today...time and energy too..:laughing:
Thanks my friend for all the great Ideas.
Very appreciated.

2Beers

It's me again.
How about an old boxcar for a backdrop? Amazing as always.
Thanks ....I did ponder that idea.....
I built a 24 footer shop one in my trail course section..and static junk thread.
Very possible to do again.
::2thumbs

2Beers

It's me again.
Well, I did tear apart an old large servo and made it so it went round and round and speed was controllable...(foot Tap)
Glued it in ....and of course one wire fell off at the solider point on the little board....ugh.
I re stuck it and turned things back on, and "Poooo000f" comes the magic smoke....ugh
Apparently my eye sight is getting worse cause it touched another wire contact in doing so.
Man cave stinky now and I'm off to my closet to pout.
:laughing:
So close and yet so far away.....

2Beers

It's me again.
After lots of trial and fails...
I just ended up adding another Y cable and put in a used micro servo.
Foot now moves along with dog and head movements.
Brings a little more busy and keeps the eye moving no doubts with all that's going on at once.
Still taps and is more subtle to watch too while moving aound.
Down to figuring out a new back drop now of sorts.
Thanks for the peeps and following along.
IMG_2739.jpeg

Lots of wires to tie up and make pretty.
Still need to plug the fire maker happener in on the throttle leads, once I find and buy for the flicker flicker look.
IMG_2740.jpeg

And things are pretty much set in stone...(Glued down).
IMG_2741.jpeg

::2thumbs:beerchug:

Frederik

Supporting Member
Nice! Seeing the foot setup, I wonder is it solid fixed to the foot, or just pushing from under? I'm thinking if it is just pushing, you could have a tapping pattern that has a pause in it, like note a constant movement but instead up and down, sit for a bit, up and down. Kind of like having a cam that has a zone with a constant radius for a bit. He looks very pensive looking at the horizon, but the dog sure looks very focused on something hahahaha

Did I miss the videos or you have not put them up yet? :) I sure would like to see some movement, but at the same time maybe you prefer to fine tune stuff before we see it all.

I see your receiver, I have a few of those in a used parts bin, but have no radio to control them. They were used in helicopters. Wondering if there is a cheap radio option that can use them, I only currently have a futaba radio.

2Beers

It's me again.
Nice! Seeing the foot setup, I wonder is it solid fixed to the foot, or just pushing from under? I'm thinking if it is just pushing, you could have a tapping pattern that has a pause in it, like note a constant movement but instead up and down, sit for a bit, up and down. Kind of like having a cam that has a zone with a constant radius for a bit. He looks very pensive looking at the horizon, but the dog sure looks very focused on something hahahaha

Did I miss the videos or you have not put them up yet? :) I sure would like to see some movement, but at the same time maybe you prefer to fine tune stuff before we see it all.

I see your receiver, I have a few of those in a used parts bin, but have no radio to control them. They were used in helicopters. Wondering if there is a cheap radio option that can use them, I only currently have a futaba radio.
Thanks fred
Rod is glued to bottom of sole...I used a eye screw screwed into heel and you can see a small rod put threw the eye and glued it.
Pivot point and keeps it stationary.
As its all tied in together for movements with the Y cables..it very fun to make foot move up and down while every thing else moves subtlety .
Here is an Idea for your RX delimmenas and very cost effective.
Changes old tech to new tech..Band...I mean Bang ... for the buck and no more old school crystals...;):biggthumpup:
Should be compatible with your futaba.
IMG_2742.jpeg

Last edited:

Frederik

Supporting Member
Thanks fred
Rod is glued to bottom of sole...I used a eye screw screwed into heel and you can see a small rod put threw the eye and glued it.
Pivot point and keeps it stationary.
As its all tied in together for movements with the Y cables..it very fun to make foot move up and down while every thing else moves subtlety .
Here is an Idea for your RX delimmenas and very cost effective.
Changes old tech to new tech..Band...I mean Bang ... for the buck and no more old school crystals...;):biggthumpup:
Should be compatible with your futaba.
View attachment 42103
That sounds very interesting, My main radio is ok tech wise, it is a 2.4ghz FAAST type if I recall correctly the achromym lol so my main problem is the little receivers are spektrum and I think it is completely different from futaba fasst system even if both are 2.4ghz.

But I also have some old am and fm futaba radios I could retrofit with this, how does it hook up to the old system? De-solder the pots and connect directly? I guess I’ll search from the name on your picture and find a bunch of information, thanks for the great idea, I knew somehow I had to ask you!!

Frizzen

It's pretty hard core that you're even trying to make the tramp smell bad, but i doubt they usually smell like burning electronics, or hang around places that do. Also knowing all the servos hiding around there, guy might want to check how many amps of BEC that Esc has, before it adds another interesting smell for his dag to want to roll in...

For the fire brightener, are you thinking incandescent or some kinda pwm dimming through leds that won't record well?

Person Integrating Near The Outdoors

2Beers

It's me again.
That sounds very interesting, My main radio is ok tech wise, it is a 2.4ghz FAAST type if I recall correctly the achromym lol so my main problem is the little receivers are spektrum and I think it is completely different from futaba fasst system even if both are 2.4ghz.

But I also have some old am and fm futaba radios I could retrofit with this, how does it hook up to the old system? De-solder the pots and connect directly? I guess I’ll search from the name on your picture and find a bunch of information, thanks for the great idea, I knew somehow I had to ask you!!
Thanks Fred
That 2.4 box just snaps in.
They where universal and easy to change out original box set up in case you had to change crystal frequency.

2Beers

It's me again.
It's pretty hard core that you're even trying to make the tramp smell bad, but i doubt they usually smell like burning electronics, or hang around places that do. Also knowing all the servos hiding around there, guy might want to check how many amps of BEC that Esc has, before it adds another interesting smell for his dag to want to roll in...

For the fire brightener, are you thinking incandescent or some kinda pwm dimming through leds that won't record well?

Person Integrating Near The Outdoors
Thanks frizz.
:laughing:
I'm not sure on light yet..still need to get on the web, google and find sum thing.
And yes on stinky "poof"smoky electronics smell...whooooooeeee.
:laughing: Oopsy on my solider job for sure.

I think 6 servos and the lights are all Im going to do. (4 torso, 1 dog, 1 foot motion).
With all the Y cables and mixes added, He moves around fantastic and almost believable ...
I did re bind the original Dx5 stick control unit as it's plenty to make him do his thing, And with a simple flip of a switch I can put him in low range or high...:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Really been a fun simple little RC project that got the juices flowing again.
Quite enjoyable and challenging no doubts.;)::2thumbs