RC and Animatronic build.

2Beers

It's me again.
Well, I can tell this won't work for the foot tap idea.:laughing:
To much movement, and it's a buggar to get the motor slowed down enough to look correct.
I'll put a servo their instead and try that once they get here.
Had to try it though.:biggthumpup:
I will leave the Fire can hooked to the throttle channel.
IMG_2704.jpeg

Frizzen

That foot tap motor goes WAY beyond too much coffee...

Depending on how much force you need to move through bowden cables, you can get the Lesu cables, remote diff lock cables, or roll your own with teflon tube and fishing line.

A guy with a fire like that could probably crinkle up some cellophane above the light and really bounce the flickering lights around realistically. Also if he's gonna be attached to the base, i'd kinda like to see a fiber-optic cigar / cigarette / hand rolled...

-
Oh man, i just found the thread and it's already to where i'm missing details on the first pass through. I love the folding knife

I also love how it went from stick man, skinny guy with pants, jack skellington let himself go.

2Beers

It's me again.
That foot tap motor goes WAY beyond too much coffee...

Depending on how much force you need to move through bowden cables, you can get the Lesu cables, remote diff lock cables, or roll your own with teflon tube and fishing line.

A guy with a fire like that could probably crinkle up some cellophane above the light and really bounce the flickering lights around realistically. Also if he's gonna be attached to the base, i'd kinda like to see a fiber-optic cigar / cigarette / hand rolled...

-
Oh man, i just found the thread and it's already to where i'm missing details on the first pass through. I love the folding knife

I also love how it went from stick man, skinny guy with pants, jack skellington let himself go.
Thanks Frizz
Ya on foot tap motion, To much Coffeys and three cans of the Red Bull to boot.
Ahahahahaa
Thanks for all the awesome ideas.
I'll see what I can do.
I have an old school Piper cub RC plane that's been crashed and has some rod and plastic shroud. I'll look into maybe pulling them.
I'm so focused on getting his arms and head to move once the servos arrive I haven't gave much thought to what else can be done for other movements and such.
:laughing:
So hopefully tomorrow I'll get them darn ordered servos.
Thanks for following along and I'll see what I can do on some of those Ideas.
;)

Really coming along! After my last post I've been somewhat reinvigorated and got to looking around, quite a bit of 1:6 animatronic retrofitting. Found a few vids hella cool, and made me think mine'll be kinda easy just doing upper body lol.
You've probably came across these, but some amazing work:
Also this guy's Indiana Jones, he uses servo winches & cables hidden in the base:

Some really neat-o stuff, thanks for the tip off!

2Beers

It's me again.
Thanks for the share Thorsteenster, and thanks on the props.
I haven't seen those ones yet. But I'm going to right now.

Servos came in and a quick mock up and a lil tinkering.
He's alive finally....Yay!
Just pics for now, Still need Y cables and some fiquiering to do.
But YaY!.
Here is my solutions.
IMG_2705.jpeg
IMG_2706.jpeg
IMG_2707.jpeg

2Beers

It's me again.
Omg, I think this might be the best thing evahhhhhh.
Haaaaa
Thanks dag.
It's different for a build for sure :laughing:
But I am enjoying the challenge it's presenting.
Theirs going to be lots of tinkering no doubts, From looks to getting him to move properly.

I run out of time yesterday of course, but here are some thoughts.
Going to pick up 2 part JB weld epoxy stuff and give hime some girth on arms and legs where needed.
The extra weight should help too where he don't weigh much.
I'm still waiting on the proper Head, TopHat and Y cables to connect servos.
A Dog still needs to be found and purchased and maybe have him move to.
Still need to work on extension for nodding movement, its pretty stiff but cool to watch. going to eliminate the clip for servo arm and just put in a z bend.

All in all though, the vision is coming around.;)::2thumbs
Thanks again for the views and comments.

2Beers

It's me again.
Homies New Head, and Hat came in.
Adding scruff and chopped up the hat.
Enjoy and thanks for looking.
IMG_2711.jpeg
IMG_2712.jpeg

I think he needs long white eyebrows too.
The un-ruly kind.;):laughing:::2thumbs

2Beers

It's me again.
And Wait for it..................:laughing:
Glue needs to dry...... then we can can give a hair cut .

IMG_2713.jpeg

Frizzen

It sucks that he's got a stiff neck, might need to scrounge up some more ticking for his gunny-sack pillow. Definately diggin' the new head more, gonna be even more impressive with some weathering. Haha, good call on doing the Crazy-hair.

That hats looking better, but it may still need to get thrown into your shoe and go for a little walk

Since it's hard to see light movement in your fire from over here, ya might need to get a couple battery operated Halloween jackolantern pumpkin lights, they're cheaper than getting the same flicker LED in white plastic as girlie-craft battery operated 'tea lights'.
Or if your tramp has a little extra scratch in the bindle...

First came toy trucks, then adding scale details, then you were turning 'em into dollhouse trucks, followed by building dollhouses to put around a trail... now you're even bringing the doll to life. And it's awesome.

2Beers

It's me again.
It sucks that he's got a stiff neck, might need to scrounge up some more ticking for his gunny-sack pillow. Definately diggin' the new head more, gonna be even more impressive with some weathering. Haha, good call on doing the Crazy-hair.

That hats looking better, but it may still need to get thrown into your shoe and go for a little walk

Since it's hard to see light movement in your fire from over here, ya might need to get a couple battery operated Halloween jackolantern pumpkin lights, they're cheaper than getting the same flicker LED in white plastic as girlie-craft battery operated 'tea lights'.
Or if your tramp has a little extra scratch in the bindle...

First came toy trucks, then adding scale details, then you were turning 'em into dollhouse trucks, followed by building dollhouses to put around a trail... now you're even bringing the doll to life. And it's awesome.
Hahahaha
Love all the Ideas and I will check into the flickering lights my friend.
Always appreciate the ideas and advice you bring.
Makes for a better build.
And ya......I'm all over the board I know for builds :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Just doing what I do.
:beerchug:::D::laughing:

Oh I even put a real feather in the ole hat ;)
IMG_2714.jpeg

Last edited:

2Beers

It's me again.
Well,
He moves around pretty good.
I need to find and install a movie maker of some sorts now, (new computer) Record, edit and upload to the Tube.
Still need to find a dog and make his foot tap... and maybe a flickering light set up for the can.
Drug out a thrift store little music box mechanism that sounds pretty old school too. Going to incorporate it.;)
Thanks for looking and enjoy.
::2thumbs
IMG_2717.jpeg

Phred

Really nice! Looks almost lifelike.
You might try Surplus Center for a low rpm motor (I have one that is 1 rpm, but don't remember what voltage, probably 12). Then you could use a cam and lifter type setup move the foot. Put as many lobes on the cam as you need to get the right speed, and make them as tall or short as necessary for the movement. If they are smooth and gradual there won't be any bounce or noise from the mechanism.

Phred

Ok, Just looked at Surplus Center, they don't have as many as they used to, but Amazon actually has some motors that would work for reasonable prices.
Edit: Talk about synchronicity! I went out to get the mail right after initially posting this, and there was a Surplus Center catalog in the box! I just happened to open it to AC Gearmotors and found several low RPM motor very cheap. One is 50 RPH (H as in hour). It's 115 VAC, and sells for a whopping 99 cents. With four lobes on a cam, the foot would move about every 3.5 to 4 seconds. More lobes could speed it up.

Last edited:

2Beers

It's me again.
Ok, Just looked at Surplus Center, they don't have as many as they used to, but Amazon actually has some motors that would work for reasonable prices.
Edit: Talk about synchronicity! I went out to get the mail right after initially posting this, and there was a Surplus Center catalog in the box! I just happened to open it to AC Gearmotors and found several low RPM motor very cheap. One is 50 RPH (H as in hour). It's 115 VAC, and sells for a whopping 99 cents. With four lobes on a cam, the foot would move about every 3.5 to 4 seconds. More lobes could speed it up.
Huge thank you on the much needed information and knowledge shared.
Very appreciated.
See what I can do.::2thumbs
Been racking my brain on what to do for the movement.
Thanks.

2Beers

It's me again.
Incredible stuff Beers !! I have never seen anything like this before.
Thanks
It's been a really fun challenging little build that incorporates lots of hobbies all in one.

I did find and purchase the 3rd dog yesterday...geeeeesh they can be expensive. Hope this one actually comes and don't get canceled.
German Shepard, but with a pleasant face to look at.
Pretty interesting items to find in the 1/6 action figure scale size to make things close as possible to the Rockwell picture.

Considering all the dilemmas on the exact looks I wanted that didn't come around.
I'm still pretty happy on how its turning out.

Frizzen

Gotta admit i've never been a fan of the Norman Rockwell. But this is already looking much better than the inspiration.

Third dog? No wonder your guy became a hobo... er, sorry, an Urban Outdoorsman.

2Beers

It's me again.
Gotta admit i've never been a fan of the Norman Rockwell. But this is already looking much better than the inspiration.

Third dog? No wonder your guy became a hobo... er, sorry, an Urban Outdoorsman.
Thanks Frizz.
Those darn tiny doggy's are just as expensive as Tiny truck parts no doubts.
The one I ordered is coming from in states Arizona, so hopefully should have it in a few days.

I haven't ordered the flickering light yet but cross your fingers that it will be this week.
Same with little motor that I need for foot tap.

I showed my daughter how he moves about last night, ahahahahaaa
She didn't understand how he worked and moved.
:laughing:;)::2thumbs
It was fun to watch her gears turn and try and to figure it out.
I eventually showed her how it works.
Eventually......:laughing:
Now I can't wait to show my oldest grand daughters. It was their idea anywhooo.