Question about shock length on RC4WD Gelande II with Cruiser body?

ZippoMan

Not sure if this is the area to post. I tried a search but being a newbie I couldn't figure it out.

I want to build the RC4WD Cruiser to as scale as possible and was wondering what shock length would be best for this Toyota? The pictures of it on the box look funny with it sitting so high. How low should it go?

Any info would be great and type of shocks as well. Thanks and if this is in the wrong forum section can it be moved?

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
This is not the right place. I moved it for you.

I limited my kit shocks by putting a 10mm piece of plastic tube inside the shock body.

pardonmyn00b

What the hell was that?!
I second imtheguy. I used 10mm of silicone fuel tube in my shocks... before I converted to leaf springs.

15853137204_b81c611d81_b.jpg

ZippoMan

Hello and thanks for moving this to the right zone. Thanks for the tips too. Are the stock shocks decent quality? Also pardonmynoob how do you convert to leafs? Are they TF2 leafs or?

Small Factory

Fancy-Walkin'
The stock shocks are 80mm in length. I installed some 70mm old man emu's and they are perfect except for the front driveshaft now hits and bottom of the transmission when compressed. Unsure what I will do on that next...

The fuel silicone tube imthatguy and n00b used is the best idea to limit the ride height.

21169702556_e360d63840_b.jpg

BigCrawl

Hello and thanks for moving this to the right zone. Thanks for the tips too. Are the stock shocks decent quality? Also pardonmynoob how do you convert to leafs? Are they TF2 leafs or?

The stock shocks look scale and high quality from the outside, but they are difficult to tune to the right damping, and tend to stick in position due to the friction damping they use.

I'm not so happy with them and I'm looking forward to substituting them in mine.

In my build's thread you will see that I comment on them.

ZippoMan

Thanks guys for more info. Tim I hope you will get time to finish your Cruiser. Looks cool so far! I was looking at the RC4WD Superlift Superide 80mm shocks, They look neat but no idea about quality. I guess I will go with the budget route for now and find some silicon tubing.....any ideas of where to find cheaply?

ZippoMan

The stock shocks look scale and high quality from the outside, but they are difficult to tune to the right damping, and tend to stick in position due to the friction damping they use.

I'm not so happy with them and I'm looking forward to substituting them in mine.

In my build's thread you will see that I comment on them.

I will read through your build more once I get closer to starting mine. I am waiting to order parts from RC4WD still. :) Thanks for the info.

ZippoMan

I guess I will be buying the RC4WD Old Man Emu 80mm for front and 70mm for rear. I am doing a leaf spring conversion with TF2 RTR parts I found on epay!

new2rocks