Project : Why is it that color?

Kear

Bleb
Haha. Now that I'm a supporting member I can subject the lot of you to my horrible "builds"

As such we start with a build already in progress because I'm too cheap to start a new one.

This is a project I've just now titled "Why is it that color?" I have no reason for naming it such.

The tea-erk in question is a modified example of a TF2 Lengthy wheeled RTR. (I'm too cheap to buy electronic setups for my turbks so I get RTRs.)

photo_2021-10-10_04-57-46.jpg

This was taken maybe a week after I got it? A month? Modifications : Cheap bad looking body lift I made with plasicard. A spring hanger reverse made using the stock kit parts and some zipties. It was nightmarish. oh and the lovely grey vinyl.

photo_2021-10-10_05-05-25.jpg

Time passes. It got a nice CChand bumper and lost the plastic sliders.

photo_2021-10-10_04-58-42.jpg

More time passes. Now it's this color! It also got a little gas can.

photo_2021-10-10_04-52-06.jpg

The day after the previous photo. Now it has 1.55 Rock Stompers. 1.55 TRunner wheels with Aisin hubs in front and SSD hubs in the back.
It also got the nice metal versions of the stock sliders and the very nice full interior kit. (It's the truck in front. Not the nicer orange-ier one in the back.)

Kear

Bleb
Earlier today (about 3 hours ago from the time of writing this) I started to adjust the interior.

20211010_025155.jpg
20211010_025207.jpg

Previously it looked like so. Mostly just black with a little bit of the same tan as the body.

20211010_044458.jpg
20211010_044512.jpg

...Why are the pictures that aspect ratio? But as you can see. It gained B r o w n. I wanted to do the reverse of my 1:1 which has a brown interior with a poorly installed black carpet. This has a black interior with a poorly installed brown carpet. I also used a recently acquired molotow chrome pen to add shiny. because...shiny.

This has been the update.

Edit : Project canceled. Cab was destroyed by plastic safe paint stripper that decided it wasn't.

Last edited:

Kear

Bleb
Cabs are out of stock!..but the bed is fine. I'm soon to order a whole body kit as I realize I can make the old bed a trailer.

Kear

Bleb
Yeah, l
Ouch! Sorry to hear that, did it melt it down pretty bad?
Lost all the panel line detail and was very, very rough. Looked as if it'd been covered in concrete. The blue paint was harder for the striper to remove than the plastic so it burnt through the paint and then the plastic. But it will return!....when the new body gets here.

Last edited:

Frizzen

My first thought before clicking with "why is it that color" was those awful VW 'habidasher edition' cars that came from the fatcory with every panel a different color. Brand new, looks like a junkyard special.

I think Melted is a color? Keep going...

SeanOB

Supporting Member
I'm a fan of all the brown going on there! Very 80s. Reminds me, My gramps had a Ford Laser in a similar 'hearing aid brown'.
Guessing you were going to change it up, hence the unfortunate paint stripper incident :cry:

Kear

Bleb
I'm a fan of all the brown going on there! Very 80s. Reminds me, My gramps had a Ford Laser in a similar 'hearing aid brown'.
Guessing you were going to change it up, hence the unfortunate paint stripper incident :cry:
It will be the same brown/tan it was. I'm quite fond of it, But I was planning to strip off the old blue paint so I could do a sliver/primer layering coat so it looked nicer when it scratched due to my very poor driving skills. That is still the plan but now I will be doing some extra body work, making certain panel lines deeper, modifying the grill to have mesh and a faux radiator. I also plan on installing a headliner, some nicer mirrors than the rubber ones these trucks come with (why would a basemodel Hilux have sport option mirrors?) For now I'm focusing on a different project which will make it's way here when I take pictures of it.

SeanOB

Supporting Member
It will be the same brown/tan it was. I'm quite fond of it, But I was planning to strip off the old blue paint so I could do a sliver/primer layering coat so it looked nicer when it scratched due to my very poor driving skills. That is still the plan but now I will be doing some extra body work, making certain panel lines deeper, modifying the grill to have mesh and a faux radiator. I also plan on installing a headliner, some nicer mirrors than the rubber ones these trucks come with (why would a basemodel Hilux have sport option mirrors?) For now I'm focusing on a different project which will make it's way here when I take pictures of it.
Solid plan! Glad to hear you will bring back the tan paint đź‘Ś . Hope the replacement arrives soon

Kear

Bleb
Solid plan! Glad to hear you will bring back the tan paint đź‘Ś . Hope the replacement arrives soon
Shipping says the 22nd. USPS here is usually reasonably on time.
I'll be working on my other project for the time and finding more parts to buy.

Kear

Bleb
Project offically uncanceled. A box arrived this morning.

20211022_132241.jpg

Wonder what it's like inside

20211022_133023.jpg

Man. Must be one of those middle eastern export total knock down kit ones.

I hear they make the kits with one big explosive step.

Edited to adjust image formatting and wording.

Last edited:

Kear

Bleb
I am in awe at how badly the rear of the bed on these things fits together.
Why is it so many pieces?
Why aren't these pieces separate when you buy the kit like an old or high end model tank? Why do I have to make shims to get the tail light/lamp lenses to fit?
Why is it that color?
20211022_222456.jpg
20211022_222506.jpg
20211022_223555[1].jpg

Arg. I've had to reveal that I do have human hands.

20180302_125010.jpg
Fun fact : The JagdTiger was one of the heaviest, if not the heaviest tank ever put into active service, weighing in at a massive 72,000 kilo! And with it's 128mm cannon it could knock out pretty much any tank fielded including itself!
This has been tank fact.

Kear

Bleb
As usual in 1 : "Please insert what ever scale you want to call these things." and 1 : 1 Hiluxes. In order to bumper you must cut! And because my previous cab was already cut up for my CChand bumper this cab must receive the same. Last time I used a hand held rotary tool to mild results.

This time I used a much more recently bought tool. A strange Dremel scroll saw thing.

20211024_023255.jpg

Despite having a fence I was unable to make use of it as I don't have anything to use as a proper spacer to put between the work piece and the fence. As such the cut was free hand!

20211024_024308.jpg

It is. Different than the previous. Both are about as straight as...uh- a potato chip? a wavy board?
But a little bit of styrene and the fact it's being put against the massive bumper will easily hide the horror.

Why not use the previous grill? It's going to be used on a different, future project. a project so far in the future that I haven't ordered the main two parts yet.

Fun fact! My not pictured rotary tool is older than I am.

Last edited:

Kear

Bleb
One little strip of styrene later and it looks juuust fine.

20211024_041542[1].jpg

In order to make this post less boring. Here is another random fact.
I have one of these. Anyone remember these things?

photo_2021-10-24_04-19-54.jpg

Kear

Bleb
A little White Miliput, a little bit of clever work with a pallet knife like thing and some screaming into the void and I've got the bed all nice and pretty much ready for paint.

20211024_231214[1].jpg

Unfortunately I'll have to settle for the stock lenses until the nice fancy AMPro ones off shapeways arrive.

20211024_231229[1].jpg

Thankfully I managed to get them to fit quite nicely. I'm rather happy with this in fact.

Fun fact : I bought this 4 Door hilux because my 1:1 is a 2 door. I will be building a 2 door soon though.
20210227_175646[1].jpg

Kear

Bleb
Once again a little milliput and the gap is gone!

20211025_142449[1].jpg

This time on the back window frame. Just another step closer toward the first layer of paint.

Fun Fact : Milliput will not fix your life, but it can certainly make it much weirder.

Kear

Bleb
Body work has concluded for the most part. The cab and bed have been mocked up and are ready for their first layers of paint. I intend to further modify the body soon. But I need to buy parts before that happens.

20211026_142348[1].jpg
20211026_142342[1].jpg
20211026_142335[1].jpg

I don't currently have any orange and red tints so I'm using the lenses from the previous body.

20211026_144220[1].jpg
20211026_144228[1].jpg

As expected it fits about the same as the previous body.

Edit : Added "Fun" "Fact".

20211025_144130[1].jpg
20211025_151311[1].jpg

Fun Fact : I bonked my 1:1 into a wall. No injuries were sustained and only some cosmetic damage happened to the truck.
Gives me an excuse to replace the horrible bumper and the Grill/Bezels that I'd lazily repaired anyways. Weeee.

Last edited: