Printing question

car54

I'm looking to buy my first printed possibly the creality ender 3. Question is, how many reels of pla should I buy? Not printing a full body or anything major yet. Let's say on shapeways knights custom interior cost $110 could a single reel make a complete interior or how many do you think. Thanks in advance for any information.

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
it depends how big the body would be https://ic3dprinters.com/3d-printer-job-cost-calculator/
if you enter the numbers right you can calculate how much you'll use

That calculator does nothing to answer his question. Do you have a 3D printer?

A reel is sold generally in kilogram rolls. The average roll will net you dozens of pieces depending on the complexity, infill and supports. As an example, I can get two whole bodies or more out of a single roll of PLA filament. I always have three rolls of any specific colour and material I like working with on hand, just in case. Cura, if you're using that to slice your models, will tell you exactly how many metres and grams will be used in your model once you slice it, so you'll never be short!

Pretty cool, and good luck with your printer choice!

car54

Thanks, that helps a lot. Definitely gives me a better idea of what to expect rather then buying from Shapeways all the time.

Lordwayback

i used this calculator and it was within like a ounce i used it on the 3d printer at school they had fancy i think $800 printers but it should be pretty universal

Bojanglez86

I bought a Ender 3 Pro, I have been printing parts left and right trying to get my prints to be more sturdy per say.
every time I print out the Toyota Hilux drop in bed liner the bottom of it prints out really thin and is partially see through. the walls of the bed are flimsy and is not as strong a print I though tit would be. do you have suggested printing material and printer settings I could use as a good base? I am using black PLA 1.75mm 1Kg 195-220c. I watch SBG and HARLEY DESIGNS on You Tube religiously. The content is awesome and entertaining.

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
What are you using to slice the STL? What file is it?

This sounds like it has very little to do with the printer, and a lot more to do with the settings and how you set up the slice. Photos also would be helpful if you could post them.

Bojanglez86

I downloaded Cura for a slicer program. It seems to work better than the Creality program that came with my printer. There are a lot more settings to play around with and to tell you the truth, its kind of overwhelming. I know by looking at your 3d printed parts on your Old SR5 Hilux (my favorite turk btw) the textures are different than how they print out on my printer. Can you maybe give me some base line settings to start? I downloaded the SR5 bundle from My Mini Factory from Knight Customs. i sent 2 photos to the submissions@scalebuilderguild email.

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
I downloaded Cura for a slicer program. It seems to work better than the Creality program that came with my printer. There are a lot more settings to play around with and to tell you the truth, its kind of overwhelming. I know by looking at your 3d printed parts on your Old SR5 Hilux (my favorite turk btw) the textures are different than how they print out on my printer. Can you maybe give me some base line settings to start? I downloaded the SR5 bundle from My Mini Factory from Knight Customs. i sent 2 photos to the submissions@scalebuilderguild email.

The SR5 parts that I had on that truck were printed on a $250,000 HP SLS nylon printer, definitely not on my home printer. That said, you can achieve the same level of smoothness by sanding and priming with a filler primer. It's definitely more art than science when it comes to printing these parts.