Painting my first hard body

XJ KID

I have finally decided to swap to a hard body on painting it from white to a gray I'm doing a wet sand making sure to get all the previous debris gunk and all sorts of stuff off the body before painting it I still want this to be a runnable trail rig and the paint to last I'm going to also be using a two-in-one paint and primer should I clear coat What are your guys's suggestions

T34mech

Supporting Member
I used automotive primer and paint on a hard body and it is pretty good without a clear coat but did get scratched up. matte clear will give a more weathered look, while a semi-gloss or gloss will give it a new car look. I prefer the latter. Prepping the body is the most important thing when painting.

Here are 2 examples of a matte clear coat on the Atlas, and a satin clear on the yota body. I haven't used a 2-in-one paint before. I always use primer for anything I paint unless it is outside lawn furniture.

DaveInNoVa

Supporting Member
I have finally decided to swap to a hard body on painting it from white to a gray I'm doing a wet sand making sure to get all the previous debris gunk and all sorts of stuff off the body before painting it I still want this to be a runnable trail rig and the paint to last I'm going to also be using a two-in-one paint and primer should I clear coat What are your guys's suggestions
The two-in-one primer/paint works fine for my builds but like everything else, it's the prep work that makes the difference.
A good wash with detergent followed by light scuffing with some wet & dry sandpaper helps with adhesion. I have used a sandable automotive primer in the past to help flatten the surface in the past but generally light coats of the 2-in-1 with wet & dry sanding in between coats gives the same result for me. I'm partial to a satin finish but even the gloss isn't overly shiny.

Here I used the Behr brand spray paint in Lunar Surface (grey) in gloss and you can see some orange peel if you look real close (so don't look real close). I also used the same paint on the metal bumper.

I should listen to my own advice more often but remember:
  • Clean and prep
  • Shake the can well
  • Soak the can in hot water before using
  • Light coats
  • Take your time
  • If you're painting outside like I do, make sure the conditions are right or it'll never dry!
1714495559916.png

ItsTooBright!

They shoot canoes don't they?
Wow, I don't think I have ever put even close to that much work into painting! (I do only build beat up looking trucks though)