My workspace

RSRC

This is my home garage where I attempt to build my tiny trucks and pretty much everything else I work on. I don't think it's ideal for scale modeling, probably better suited to working on full size vehicles, but getting it to this point has been a labor of love. Well, it's been a labor. After spending my youth fabricating seemingly everything with a hacksaw and files I finally got set up proper. Mostly proper anyway.

It's a 24 x32 detached with radiant floor heat and a wall AC/heat unit. We drive fairly short vehicles (length wise) so I have the front half of the garage for my workspace and equipment.
20210109_185457 by James Ryan, on Flickr
I have my little 2hp mill/drill and a 10x30 lathe tucked up in the front corner. There's a couple of belt grinders and my old drill press in there too.
20210109_185506 by James Ryan, on Flickr
If you're into small shop equipment I have lots of random pictures...
lathe https://photos.app.goo.gl/G7iSP79HYBcX5xeL9
Mill https://photos.app.goo.gl/nkB19MeoLmniH4CL8
Pedestal Grinder https://photos.app.goo.gl/7sk2u8GhUZFRskXN8
Bandsaw https://photos.app.goo.gl/kaH3NnWfoQLUBYzu8
Weld/fab table build https://photos.app.goo.gl/vNfsiBSWDMEn6QsL9
Arbor press converted to ratcheting handle https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZVo3fupygPNAp5Ci7

Finally, the entertainment area. I believe my little pop (beer) machine is from the 40's and the original compressor just keeps going.
20200710_101611 by James Ryan, on Flickr

Oh, you might have noticed, I have a bit of a fondness for Sinclair gas and oil stuff. Hey, at least it's not Mobil oil. The last thing I need is a bunch red flying horses plastered all over the place... The green dinosaurs everywhere are much better...:rolleyes:

Reactions: TLC

Small Factory

Fancy-Walkin'
Wow! Excellent work space. I was lucky enough to have built myself a detached building on my property as well. Radiant floor heat is something I wish that I did. Once you experience a concrete slab with it, it's hard to go back. I have to wear thick socks and my feet still go numb in the winter, even if I have a t-shirt on.

Tell me about the motorcycle... looks like a Suzuki wheel to me.

RSRC

Wow! Excellent work space. I was lucky enough to have built myself a detached building on my property as well. Radiant floor heat is something I wish that I did. Once you experience a concrete slab with it, it's hard to go back. I have to wear thick socks and my feet still go numb in the winter, even if I have a t-shirt on.

Tell me about the motorcycle... looks like a Suzuki wheel to me.
Agreed, with the floor heat it's pretty comfortable out there at anything above 60F in the winter. Wet floors from snow dry up a little faster as well. The AC unit has a 10,000btu heater in it I use for a little extra kick when we hit a really cold stretch.

The wheel is an early FZR600 (the oddball 18" ones) but the bike is an '81 KZ305. It's my wife's and a long suffering project of mine.
20211012_180259 by James Ryan, on Flickr
it's in one of it's mid-build stages and shamefully has been sitting about 5 years now, as evidence by the dust. I put it together for her as her first bike, with the FZR wheels, forks, triumph 4-pot calipers, center 2 carbs from a zr750, etc. No real power to speak of, but at about 300lbs and low seat height it was super easy for her to handle and had great brakes. I made the tail piece out of steel with an english wheel and planishing hammer, but never got around to finishing the seat. May actually finish it someday (doubt it)

This one is parked just in front of it. '79 CB750F with a lot of late 90's to early 00's CBR running gear.
20190825_104521 by James Ryan, on Flickr
Last bike I built when I was still working on them for a living. The CBR stuff was all pretty current at the time, all old tech now. Engine is 750 cases, 1000 crank and rods, 1100 pistons, (1062cc) Suzuki mikuni "slingshot" carbs, blah, blah, tech stuff, blah, blah... I put it together in my hacksaw and file fabrication days. I had a lot more determination than funds or tools back then. Been sitting about 5 years as well. I should sell it, not quite there yet though.

Great looking space! We just moved into a new-to-us house with a 2 car garage. Our last home of 17 years was a one hole'r.... So I'm excited about getting it set up and laid out how I want it. In regards to your Mill/Drill, are you happy with it? If a fella was looking for one, would you recommend it?

RSRC

Yes and no. Like most things it all depends what you want to do with it and the space you have. I'd love to have a new bridgeport clone or something bigger, but for the space and budget I have to work with the little grizzly has worked admirably and does everything I need it too. For this sort of work, with aluminum it's more than enough. Steel is fine too, but it isn't going to take huge cuts. It's much more pleasant to run than the RF31 style mill/drills I've used, but the round column is still a pain at times. If you have ambitions to go CNC at some point, you'll definitely want a square column. The DRO was by far the best thing I added to it, once you've used one you'll never go back. It came with the power feed on the X and it's a must have as well. Grizzly and Precision Mathews seem to be the best of the Asian import equipment dealers. I would guess they are both backordered on almost everything right now though. Old American iron is great too, but I've never come across the mythical, well cared for and maintained mill that the little old lady only used to cut soft plastics on Sundays. Everything around here is beat on, worn out, loose, requires 3 phase power, and they still want a fortune for it.

Last edited:
Yes and no. Like most things it all depends what you want to do with it and the space you have. I'd love to have a new bridgeport clone or something bigger, but for the space and budget I have to work with the little grizzly has worked admirably and does everything I need it too. For this sort of work, with aluminum it's more than enough. Steel is fine too, but it isn't going to take huge cuts. It's much more pleasant to run than the RF31 style mill/drills I've used, but the round column is still a pain at times. If you have ambitions to go CNC at some point, you'll defiantly want a square column. The DRO was by far the best thing I added to it, once you've used one you'll never go back. It came with the power feed on the X and it's a must have as well. Grizzly and Precision Mathews seem to be the best of the Asian import equipment dealers. I would guess they are both backordered on almost everything right now though. Old American iron is great too, but I've never come across the mythical, well cared for and maintained mill that the little old lady only used to cut soft plastics on Sundays. Everything around here is beat on, worn out, loose, requires 3 phase power, and they still want a fortune for it.
Same situation in my area.... It's one of those "you gotta be lucky" things to find anything decent. I'm not skilled enough for a Bridgeport and don't have 3ph anyway, just want something like your setup so I can make my own stuff. The DRO is a must to make life easier/accurate! Thanks for the feedback.

Small Factory

Fancy-Walkin'
Great looking bikes: they are fun to play with. Love that CB750 you made up with "modern" suspension.

I just put together a track-day SV650.

Thanks for sharing...

RSRC

Great looking bikes: they are fun to play with. Love that CB750 you made up with "modern" suspension.

I just put together a track-day SV650.

Thanks for sharing...
SV's are lots of fun. I've never built a track bike (except dirt stuff), but I bet it would be a fun build. No lights, no signals, no DOT crap, just bare minimum, lightweight everything, tailored suspension, all performance. Pure and purpose built.
What a work space. Well played 👏
Thank you, now I just need to turn out some decent work.

UpsidedownRC

Patience Tested!
SV's are lots of fun. I've never built a track bike (except dirt stuff), but I bet it would be a fun build. No lights, no signals, no DOT crap, just bare minimum, lightweight everything, tailored suspension, all performance. Pure and purpose built.

Thank you, now I just need to turn out some decent work.
trying to make something decent ………. I know that feeling :laughing: