Mount Olympus- indoor course redesign by the MCC

Micro Crawler Club

Supporting Member
What’s cracken mini crawlers!!! My name is Van DeWitt and this is my first post on the SBG.

I’m the creative director and co-founder of the Micro Crawler Club (MCC). We are an Utah based mini/micro crawler club (1/8th and smaller) that is focuses on community, fun, and events. Here are a few of us at By The Fire. We made the mini crawler cores in 2023, I’ll make a post on that soon.

IMG_0207.jpeg

In the early winter if 2023 our club was commissioned by Canyon Hobbies, (HC) a local RC shop to redesign their pre-existing indoor mini crawler course.

My co-builders were Blake Jensen and Jason Willams. Two seasoned builders, drivers, comp judges and some of best friends

Over a month’s time we completely changed the vibe and playability of the course with some standard building techniques for indoor crawler courses, i.e. splay and sheet foam, plaster and bandage cloth, chicken wire, acrylic paint, sand, artificial plants, hot and white glue, bamboo, barbecue skewers, and far too many disposable razor blades.

IMG_0225.jpeg

IMG_0197.jpeg

Here is a photo of what we had to start with. JP from the shop built this table course spacificly for the Off road expo and to bring drivers in from the cold Utah winters or blistering heat if the summer.

IMG_0208.jpeg

From what I understand it was a big hit at the expo but left the local crawler fanatics a bit wanting. JP reached out to me and asked if the club would be willing to put our talents to work. JP had seen our work at the Street Addictions RC (SA) venue and knew he wanted our help.

Here is a pic of the SA build, I’ll make a post on this concrete module build soon.
IMG_0210.jpeg

Literally, the next day after the grand opening of the SA course, our team got going on the CA build. We worked a few days a week/weekend for 3-10hrs a day depending. Lucky I have a week off the holidays so I spend that time in the shop for 10hr over seven days to finish the build before new years of 2023.

We started by using closed cell low density foam (black and gray stuff in pic below) to flush out the rock formations. We held this in place with bamboo barbecue skewers, punching them through the foam and into the plaster wrap of the original build. We skewers on multiple angles in each piece of foam to properly secure it to the old build. This worked so well we didn’t need to use any hot glue at this stage of the build.

IMG_0213.jpeg
You can see in the pic above we are just roughly shaping the additions to the course. At this stage we are assessing the playability of the formations and adding and subtracting large shapes to design obstacles that the mini crawlers can navigate.

Once we became happy with the rough shapes we behind to fine tune the formations into recognizable rock shapes. We do this by using a razor knife to cut the foam. At this stage we are still adding and subtracting foam as needed to further define the shapes of the formations as well as assess issues the RCs may have navigating the terrain.

IMG_0222.jpeg

We have found that at this stage the collaborative process of multiple builders is critical in designing a rock formation. The mixing of ideas and experiences definitely adds to the layout and finale execution. The photo below illustrates this perfectly. We crated an arch way over the top of this stricter to add more usable real estate to this time of the course. In the process of re-enforcing the structure to support the arch we noticed how the foam looked like columns.

IMG_0211.jpeg

Once we noticed this we asked JP what his favored column what….we suggested Egyptian, Celtic, and Mayan but to our dismay he said Roman/greek. We had fast ways of creating the other styles but Roman /Greek would require a lot more work if fabricating by hand.

We moved on to other parts of the build as we looked for a way to pull the columns off. I spent a few weeks looking to 3D printing columns but did not feel that was a good use of our budget or time, so I stated looking for pre existing products that may be faster then the finish work required by 3D printing would require. I started with serving for candle sticks, toys, home decors, to no avail. Then inspiration hit me and I looked for aquarium decorations….pay dirt!!! Found a few options that would work perfectly, unfortunately that stuff is not cheep. So I turned to Facebook marketplace and fount the exact item I was looking at for 1/3 the price tad. Not bad fir 20$ right?

IMG_0224.jpeg

I cut them apart at work and installed them that day. Perfection!!!!

IMG_0230.jpeg

More to come I need To go crawl…I’ll finish this post tonight. Please come back. His a pic of the completed build.

IMG_0235.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpeg
    IMG_0206.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0211.jpeg
    IMG_0211.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited: