LC79 build - Cooper

cooper

Hi!

Some time ago, my buddy TheGamer sent me a nice Killerbody LC70 loaded with extras. Not related to this particular event but shout-out to him, one of the few people I can call friend :).

Was happy to get a LC70 but I had nothing in mind for it,besides knowing that wouldn't be "hardcore"

Risked on these Austar 1.55s and were a pleasant surprise. A 90x24mm tire,super affordable, sidewalls with many details and a soft compound? to top it off, they don't seem knockoff of a know brand tire(correct me if I'm wrong)

Austarhobby-4-pces-1-55-Polegada-pneus-de-borracha-da-roda-90mm-pneu-para-o-carro.jpg

Next, ordered Yota II axles and did a set of narrow 1.55s to allow the wheels being tucked inside the body. Stuck on the idea of rear leafs

I7OMMqXh.jpg

Start tinkering with frame rail design and laser cutted these .

aAVEy8Ph.jpg

GttDAo5h.jpg

0rej5Orh.jpg

wlZjpChh.jpg

e2PEYLHh.jpg

more to share soon

Last edited:

cooper

The laser cut rails are definitely top notch!

Thanks! I would prefer do them by hand but with kids, have to take shortcuts :)

Nice start! :) That transmission mount should not be the first piece to give up!

Thanks. I'm seeing lots of scraping in this truck so steel is the way!

Thought a lot on how the front suspension will be and because of the gearbox chosen, the best option was to copy the 1:1 and do radius arms!

The 3D printer was useful to mock up the mounts and even the arms and had those laser cut afterwards. The mounts are 2 pieces of 10x30 steel tubing that shaped to look more like mounts. The bushings are servo rubber bushings. Every modeller has some laying around

Ddn0h2Hh.jpg

T1XEIBDh.jpg

NXXaeiZh.jpg

ECTXRFEh.jpg

DWpNxWxh.jpg

cIVFNz7h.jpg

gYj5Mrth.jpg

Unpainted, they stand out too much, maybe a bit of black would help. The extra "fin" on one of them is to shape for the panhard mount

And because I want a bit of performance on this truck, did this panhard mount out of brass

zAYYdp5h.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t have the same set you do, but I have Australian hobbies version of proline hyraxes. I got them mainly because I was in a rush to get my rc outside. I haven’t bought a new set yet. I only plan on buying them for scale details, they really are great.

cooper

Amazing, how's the articulation with the radius arms?

How about this much?
lsjh5z1h.jpg

Honestly, I was expecting less. Seems enough for the type of truck

The gearbox will be the gearbox from the KingKong CA10. Is an affordable gearbox with scale looks and nice features: 18.2:1 ratio, wide steel gears,aluminium motor plate and full bearings. The only bad thing about it is that it's shape with motor is not builder friendly. Needs a bit of tinkering to make it work on a chassis. It's the third chassis I put this on

The servo is also in place and the it's mount doubles as front body mount

1oZeewWh.jpg

WrfPnUzh.jpg

NXnJg1dh.jpg

This is what I'm aiming for:

ta7zBZxh.jpg

TLC

Scaled, but not fishy.
Super sweet job on those scale radius arms and mounts mate. ::2thumbs I'll enjoy watching this build come together.:cool2:

ToyRCota88

Take me 2 ur Tiny Trucks.
Great build so far that chassis is looking spectacular. On here trying to get some inspiration. Thank you!

cooper

Super sweet job on those scale radius arms and mounts mate. ::2thumbs I'll enjoy watching this build come together.:cool2:
Great build so far that chassis is looking spectacular. On here trying to get some inspiration. Thank you!

Thanks guys!

Chassis is on hold right. I'm waiting for offset rods to make the steering links

But in the meanwhile, I can make from metal the wheels I've 3d printed to mock up the truck:

9vEOBXzh.jpg

mwOb0Vvh.jpg

ssCochNh.jpg

They were machined on a lathe, drilled on a drill press. There's a thin hex hub behind and M2.5 scale bolts holding everything. The "hub" is an eBay special that I've ordered a set for the Unimog but stands out too much. I think it sits well here

I'm aiming for the stock Toyota steelie, that's why they will be painted silver

SeanOB

Supporting Member
:wow:just casually machined your own rims ?! Lovely work, and a good choice for the truck too.

Tango91

Supporting Member
A drill press?? Damn, I'd need a mill with a DRO to come close to a perfect hole pattern like that :whistle:

cooper

:wow:just casually machined your own rims ?! Lovely work, and a good choice for the truck too.
Thanks! Perks of the job...
A drill press?? Damn, I'd need a mill with a DRO to come close to a perfect hole pattern like that :whistle:

Well, I did a bit of cheating. We have a milling machine with a divider plate but because it needs some time to setup and I've about 15 minutes for my things after hours, before going to pick up my kids, I did a 3d printed jig with the hole pattern and marked everything that way with a center drill bit. Allowed me to do a bit everyday with minimal set-up. In terms of holes, they are 8 identical halves

Sp3cia1K

This is looking amazing, I have been thinking about incoorporating radius arms to my LC70 that I'm nearly finished, seeing this makes me want to start the front again!

cooper

You had me at radius arms. Awesome stuff so far!
Thanks! I'll try to do the rest up to SBG standards
This is looking amazing, I have been thinking about incoorporating radius arms to my LC70 that I'm nearly finished, seeing this makes me want to start the front again!

Go for it! :) I admit I didn't knew much about radius arms but they look scale, mounted. They have a downside though... The arms define wheelbase and angle of the axle. This was why I had to make several printed prototypes. Making a jig to hold the chassis at normal rude height, helps a lot

Last edited: