Inexperienced 3D printing, trying to figure out measurements of an RC Body stl file

RattyJeep

Recently a couple days ago I got a model off of Cults3d and I'm having trouble trying to figure out the measurements of the body so that I can scale it to fit a 313 mm chassis I asked the creator of the model and they Said Scail the file to 1/8.5 to make it fit on a 313mm but they have been less than helpful as how to so I will post the file to see if anybody can get me a hand with it LINK DELETED BY IMTHATGUY

Last edited by a moderator:

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
This is going to require some math on your part. It's not his fault, as he made the file at 1/10th scale, so asking him to do math for you is a little outside the norm of him providing the finished file.

Here's how I would do it, and I'm sure there are other ways, and it's a bit more complicated because you'll have to do this each time, for every single file that's provided there, but take one of the pieces that exists, and plug it into your slicer.

Take one of the dimensions, let's say the X size value, and let's say it's 100mm in Length. Using a calculator (there's an app for that) take that 100 and divide by .85 (which is the decimal representation of the scale 1/8.5 (that the author is referencing to give you the proper wheelbase you're after). That gives you a new number, 117.64. That's your length of the 100mm part at 1/8.5th scale.

Now that you've got that, that's actually your scaling factor that can be applied to everything you need to print, because the math I gave you is also the way you calculate the percentage to scale by. Neat huh? And I'm terrible at math!

Now for the bad news, this is going to make this truck HUGE. Like, won't fit easily on most build plates. And for the double bad news, you sharing this file around for others to look at is probably against the terms of service for Cults3d. So I've deleted the link from your post. Because that's pirating, and it's not something I can condone here. Good luck with your print.

RattyJeep

Well I don't mean to make it sound like I'm blaming him, I was just trying to verify what the exact wheelbase of it is at 1/10 as I was going to put it on a shorter chassis anyway I'm just giving the information that he told me but I understand why he said 313 mm as it's the most common chassis size in 1/10 scale, I just wasn't sure what he meant by scale it to 1/8.5 , I appreciate for you taking your time to reach out to me. And I apologize for posting the file

dagabba

Supporting Member
@imthatguy covered just about everything there but how about changing your approach- choose either the wheelbase you're after or axle width (much harder to adjust) then go from there. I normally try to aim for 1/9 scale but my last project ended up 1/8.6 just because of mechanical limitations.

Then choose one part of the body to scale/print- very easy in Cura. You can actually input the width (or other dimension) in mm and it will tell you what %scale it is. I then use a bit of trial and error, print the same thing at a few slightly different scales until you're happy, Cura will tell you what scale to print everything else at.

Ie:

My axle width is 175mm.

I want 2mm tuck per side so I want the body (specifically the wheel wells) to be 179mm wide.

My file is 163mm wide... so I go to the scale option in Cura and say I want 179. Cura tells me that's 109.81595092% the size. I'd then try a test print at 110% file size, if that's good print out everything else the same.

zanthrax

Supporting Member
I would cut the body vertically at the top of both wheel wells in Meshmixer.
That would allow me to determine the original wheelbase and the scale factor needed to get the wheelbase I want.
Or just use it's measure tool to get a point-to-point distance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 23.41.51.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 23.41.51.png
    524.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

dagabba

Supporting Member
Is the body split into multiple pieces already? You might find width a better measure- easy to add a few spacers to the links for wheelbase. What's the chassis?

Also- trial and error, filament is cheap so don't worry if it's not perfect first time!

RattyJeep

Well I haven't decided on the chassis yet as I don't know what the wheel base is, although I would like the wheelbase to be around 275 to 290, so I'm probably either going to use a d90 chassis clone or a or an SCX10 II chassis

Last edited:

dagabba

Supporting Member
Ok, I'm going to shut up and let you get on with it after this... sorry to clog the thread.

But, I think you should choose your chassis first, it will set the dimensions for you.

Then, I don't know exactly what programmes you're using but you can try opening multiple files and piecing them together in Cura or Fusion 360, that might help you measure overall dimensions. Also, you can find the dimensions of most full size trucks pretty easily on the web, that might help.

RattyJeep

No you're fine I haven't even started printing it yet, as I'm waiting on some parts for my printer at the moment, I'll take just about any information I can get about this

RattyJeep

Okay so I have decided on a unused red cat gen 8 chassis, so at least here I can actually get the measurements right in front of me

zanthrax

Supporting Member
Have tried importing all the parts at once in Meshmixer?
If it was cut up properly the parts should still line up when you do that.

RattyJeep

No I have not tried that and I didn't think of that as I have meshmixer , I'll give that a try Thank you, and typically my main slicer I use is simplify 3D

Last edited: