Idaho's "Rocky River Farms".... and Trails. My journey for a back yard RC world

Frizzen

When you said you were going to leave the buildings out all year, i thought you were crazy. But they seem to be aging pretty well. I'm really suprised. Well, the garage porch roof could use some extra support.

Around here, i think the interior details would be molding. A squirrel would have eaten the corner out of a building. Mice would take over the mine. A tree limb would have crushed something...

4 foot of snow? May take more than a 1/10 rotory snow plow

2Beers

It's me again.
When you said you were going to leave the buildings out all year, i thought you were crazy. But they seem to be aging pretty well. I'm really suprised. Well, the garage porch roof could use some extra support.

Around here, i think the interior details would be molding. A squirrel would have eaten the corner out of a building. Mice would take over the mine. A tree limb would have crushed something...

4 foot of snow? May take more than a 1/10 rotory snow plow
Thanks frizz.
So far..the raccoons are pretty much leaving things mostly alone.
coyotes are also getting to be a problem again too in back yard.
Lucky for me my other Hobby is High End PCP pellet guns in the 25 cal size...;)
I keep the squirrels at bay too of course.

2Beers

It's me again.
Why have I not seen this before. What a place, well done 2beers ::2thumbs
Thanks
Very appreciated.
I need to throw the last structure frame one out there too , and get it weathering.
I might stomp on the middle of it...add some strategic placed boards as ramps, so as to turn it into a obstacle to drive on.
;)::2thumbs To be determined yet...

2Beers

It's me again.
Thanks you guys for the views and replies.

Ive Been pondering.....:hmmm:
Never a good thing ahahahaaaa :laughing:
Does a guy switch to the smaller scale tiny trucks now ????
Ive been wrestling that over for the last 2 years now.

Might sell a few big trucks..to buy little trucks.
That means some more structures would need to be recreated in the proper size.
A few that's built could be repurposed.
I'm thinking I could do a lot more for looks and space, On the course and on the shelfs.
Plus a bit more cost effective all the way around.
Hummmmmmm....:hmmm: Oh the dilemmas .

Frederik

Supporting Member
Mmm.. hahaha yes lots of dilemmas :) I guess you can't get as much custom and various parts for creative builds in smaller scale. There has been more small scale trucks available in the last years for sure, but I still feel like it is limited in comparison to 1:10 ish scale. I have an enduro 24, a CR12, an Orlandoo 1:32 lol all odd sized and require different playground :laughing: I like how the enduro 24 can take 1:20 hard bodies trucks nicely, 1:24 and 1:25 not so much IMHO. For some reason it seems the 1:24 scale RC trucks are mostly all quite a bit larger than 1:24.

Maybe the more experienced people have no problem solving issues on those smaller scale, but to me the thing is for example the enduro 24 is running a bit funny on 1S battery (3.7v) with not that much torque, a bit jerky as it lacks torque to climb so you put more throttle, and then all of a sudden a big leap forward. On a larger scale you could change motor, change gearing etc to get a smoother drive, but I'm not sure how to resolve that on that smaller scale.

For the Orlandoo 1:32 I made a basic terrain with an old chair cushion, cut with an exacto knife and painted. Had lots of fun assembling the truck and detailing, but since I am not very good at diorama I do not use it very often. In your case it is different though, you are so good with creating realistic environment, I think that aspect alone is a very good reason to try out smaller scales, it would open up possibilities.

So no expert advice here 😂 just some thoughts from a guy with a few smaller scale trucks. It is different for sure, I also retrofitted an xmod with actual servo and esc, and I also have an old HPI micro RS4. I think it's fun to have a bit of variety in the scales, but as you get smaller it seems harder to just slap on stuff from the parts bin.

SeanOB

Supporting Member
:huh:oh no! Don't change anything 2Beers, this is incredible as is.
I would love to see you work some magic on a separate micro crawler course though. Its nice that the micros are less of a financial commitment too, and a convincing bit of scale trail could fit on a small fold up table. Or on a pile of rocks in the yard.

2Beers

It's me again.
:huh:oh no! Don't change anything 2Beers, this is incredible as is.
I would love to see you work some magic on a separate micro crawler course though. Its nice that the micros are less of a financial commitment too, and a convincing bit of scale trail could fit on a small fold up table. Or on a pile of rocks in the yard.
Thanks Sean
I was into HO and N scale trains long before finding and building tiny trucks.
Made some awesome Logging operations and almost all my cars and gear driven trains where custom scratch built.

Just playing around with some ideas. To be determined as of yet.

If I don't change scales...
Plan on more Rock and probably another 40 yards of dirt this spring.;)::2thumbs
Hope to get the 3D robot printing more scale static junk too this winter season.
See what transpires and where inspiration leads me.

Frizzen

I could see adding another section to the trails at a smaller scale, easier than swapping it all to smaller

Since you were into HO trains before, I think you should go full circle and build a couple 'Table Top Trial Truck'. If you're gonna drop scales, go 1/87, so the drivers of your 1/10 rc trucks can drive their own rc trucks...

SeanOB

Supporting Member
That helps explain all the crazy detail you create, honed those skills in the tiny train hobby.
Whatever you decide to do next I'm sure it will be awesome, keep it coming!

2Beers

It's me again.
I could see adding another section to the trails at a smaller scale, easier than swapping it all to smaller

Since you were into HO trains before, I think you should go full circle and build a couple 'Table Top Trial Truck'. If you're gonna drop scales, go 1/87, so the drivers of your 1/10 rc trucks can drive their own rc trucks...
Hahahahaa
Great Idea my friend. A scale course for my scale course.
;)::2thumbs:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
Be way funny.
Better yet, have Bigfoot hold a controller driving a big foot munster truck.:laughing:
(giggling so hard)

2Beers

It's me again.
Starts to winter here in my area...temps dropping. Possible snow....
Might fire up the shop stove and get back on the last framed out structure I was working on.
See what comes about for the weekend.
Thanks for following along my Back yard journeys.

Frizzen

Yeah, a bigfoot driving a Bigfoot would be great! If you want basher instead of crawler, you might even be able to get away with starting with one of the "Micro Terrain Titans" or the airhogs rebody versions (rebranded Tomia 'Q-steer Buggies')

Thread hijacking
tAs8g1Ah.jpg

kAnsXg2h.jpg

7kas3ich.jpg

TLC

Scaled, but not fishy.
Hmmmm, that ship looks a bit like a Titanic undertaking.........:laughing::loll:::awwcrap Sorry for trying to be punny...

I'm loving all the derelict detail in your back yard course. ::2thumbs The more of these I see, the more I want to build my own. :hmmm:
I'm worried it may turn out to be a whole other rabbit hole of the hobby I may never escape from though....:loll:

2Beers

It's me again.
Hmmmm, that ship looks a bit like a Titanic undertaking.........:laughing::loll:::awwcrap Sorry for trying to be punny...

I'm loving all the derelict detail in your back yard course. ::2thumbs The more of these I see, the more I want to build my own. :hmmm:
I'm worried it may turn out to be a whole other rabbit hole of the hobby I may never escape from though....:loll:
Huge thanks my friend.
I just picked up another short line narrow gauge scale book for Choo Choo's with some amazing little cool old tiny structures.
Church, out buildings etc... Hope to be creating some more stuff this winter and early spring.
;)::2thumbs

ripper7777777

Simply Amazing, color me jealous, I hope to find time this year to work on my backyard. I've always envisioned it being an old mining area so this is great inspiration for my build. We also have squirrels and racoons, but moisture and rot are more of an issue down here, so I'm stuck with treated only lumber.