Headquake's Offroad Park

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
I've been seriously thinking of getting a Associated SC10B for a go fast RC. Your SC10 on this track, I believe, has pushed me over the edge here Rick. I think a rwd buggy/truck just looks and acts so nice and dramatic.

You ought to consider the YetiTT. Sure, I'm slightly biased, but I've got both an SC10 and the TT. I've had more fun with the TT lately as it's an interesting drive being 4WD with an open front diff. Drives a lot like the SC10 but can control a drift through a corner much better as the front wheels actually do something.

Headquake

...at the H.O.P.
orangechat
Hi!
I've been out working on the H.O.P. for most of April as usual.
Reworking everything while the spring earth is fresh and soft, before the grass starts growing, and before the blackflies kick in.

I decided to fix up the rock garden a bit this year, move a few rocks and clean it up.
I also chose to move the little cabin up to the top of the hill.

IMG_0106b_zpsodhrsuus.jpg

I changed the spot into a little yard but where the cabin sits was now raised up over the flat parking area a bit so i decided to make a little staircase and deck.

The deck boards are all just made from roughly cut strips of 1/4" plywood, cut with a handsaw and sanded. Glued together with shoegoo which i've had good luck with outside so far. The cabins window, door handle and chimney are all held on with it. I hand painted the whole thing with a thin wash of acrylic black, brown and grass green mixed, then painted on a bit of brown and green to get the aging look started.

IMG_0117b_zpsyygihvgq.jpg

The cabin itself is getting pretty old but it's still holding up. It's been outside year round since i built it in spring 2012.

IMG_0116b_zpsvkbphpre.jpg

IMG_0118b_zpso7ot0hx1.jpg

Got more spring updates on the track and trails done too.
I'll update them here with more pics soon.
orangechat

2Beers

It's me again.
Porch really makes it....
Lots of Win added now along with movement of cabin.
Loving the correctness and caricature it's getting weathering naturally in the elements.

LargeEnt

Supporting Member
Great location. Sometimes as this, change can be good.
Ironic that this came in today because just last night I was once again watching some of your old Videos. Really enjoyed Best of 2013. Are you going to do any more "Bests"? Would like to see some more of that Jeep FC.

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Even though Headquake and I had the same camera for many years, any time he posts a photo, there's a Headquake-y filter that goes with it. Always.

Nice changes Rick! Can't wait to come out before the blackflies!

klako

Supporting Member
That looks really real, adding your mystic touch makes it fantastic ! Can't wait to see the coming updates ::2thumbs

Headquake

...at the H.O.P.
Love the new location. Better for photography I bet. The weathering to the wood looks natural too.

Thanks. Yeah i like it better, the background is further back now so it should seem smaller and more out of focus in pics.
The big stump behind the old location never looked too "scale". Ha.

Nice change there! Looks great with the little stairs!

Thanks Chris.

Very nice!

This is good for inspiration!

Regards Johan.

Thanks.

Wish I had space to do something like that. Looks stunning.

Cheers,

Promachos

Thanks. Yes, i feel lucky to have some land indeed.

Porch really makes it....
Lots of Win added now along with movement of cabin.
Loving the correctness and caricature it's getting weathering naturally in the elements.

Thanks man, i love watching things naturally age. Except myself sometimes but i'm coming to grips with that too. Ha.

Great location. Sometimes as this, change can be good.
Ironic that this came in today because just last night I was once again watching some of your old Videos. Really enjoyed Best of 2013. Are you going to do any more "Bests"? Would like to see some more of that Jeep FC.

Thanks. I just did a best of 20 trucks vid if you haven't seen it yet. Gonna start making more vids soon.

Loving all the changes, the weathering is perfect. Photography is spot on too

Thanks.

Even though Headquake and I had the same camera for many years, any time he posts a photo, there's a Headquake-y filter that goes with it. Always.

Nice changes Rick! Can't wait to come out before the blackflies!

Thanks Matt. Too late, Blackfies.

Really cool. It look like so natural and real. Seems the cabin has been there since forever

Thanks. Five years in real time is probably much more in scale time.

That looks really real, adding your mystic touch makes it fantastic ! Can't wait to see the coming updates ::2thumbs

Thank you.
orangechat

Okay, so now here's an update on the race track.

I've had pretty much the same track layout for the last two years so i wanted to change it up again this year.
The north end (left in drawing below) hasn't changed much in 4 or 5 years so i did a little more there this time.

The top drawing is the 2016 layout with the 2017 plan overlayed in blue to see the changes i did.
The bottom drawing in the new 2017 layout.
The star is where i drive from.

RcTrack-2017plan_zpsv2aa1v9e.jpg

Like other years, i carefully moved the soft spring sod around so the grass would still grow in its new locations. I really enjoy having a nice grass infield all around the track, so i try my hardest to have it all not die. Doing it early spring is best for this. I've got the technique down good now, and with some wet weather after i was finished, it's all set nice.

Here's a bunch of wide angle gopro pics i took recently. You can see how the grass is starting to grow and its already hard to tell where the track went different last year. The wet track surface isn't showing the bumps, hills and cambers very well in the pics, video will be better for that once it drys out nice.
orangechat

2017C-01b_zpsynn1mf3b.jpg

2017C-02b_zpsdbcktauh.jpg

2017C-03b_zps8z0cwcj6.jpg

2017C-04b_zpseut98tci.jpg

2017C-05b_zps9u88qibn.jpg

2017C-06b_zpsv1nkoizg.jpg

2017C-07b_zpsoixtyfho.jpg

2017C-08b_zps3nfx92km.jpg

2017C-09b_zpssmv2872a.jpg

2017C-10b_zpsfwssv2if.jpg

2017C-11b_zpshde9afh2.jpg

LargeEnt

Supporting Member
Track re-do looks great. I did watch the 20 trucks and that's what sent me back to the old ones which never get OLD. Eargerly await those new vids.

Headquake

...at the H.O.P.
orangechat
Hello again SBG friends, just stopping by this old thread for it's yearly track update.

Didn't do a lot of changes to the layout this year, mostly just upkeep stuff like adding wheelbarrows of dirt to some thin areas where big roots or unmoveable big stones poke up. Helps keep the track smoother. The one big change i did do was removing the round north corner and replacing it with just a long bend with a good sized bump in the middle. This also gives me a better spot to drive from.

Here's a few new pics, a scale drawing of the layout, and a new video.

RcTrack-2018_zpsw55eoz62.jpg

2018B-03b_zpszqealw2k.jpg

2018B-04b_zpsjcssaqgi.jpg

2018B-08b_zps78gyglo7.jpg

2018B-07b_zpsyyrw30vf.jpg

2018B-06b_zps2l5bbafk.jpg

Last edited: