G-G-Gmade Xtra Cab build

Daoger

V.I.P. Member
Heya folks. For reasons beyond my comprehension (I had to buy a new fridge, and it felt so boring I had to compensate by buying something fun), I've fallen into another build. Having gone through the initial stages of post-buy insanity (rush, regret, rejoycement and so forth), a few review vids and countless googlings of parts compatibility, I'm ready to publicly announce my bankrupcy!

I've had an Xtra Cab body on the shelf for months. The sane move would be to put it on one of my old chassis, but the brain has already been criminalized and corrupted. Since I've already built a couple Axiels, a few Texxases, a Boomer, and a Vanquiche, this time I decided to get robbed by an actual robber-looking brand:

IMG_9227.jpeg

Home invasion! Oh wait: that's just my reflection
Gk4Q8GB.jpg

So far, this kit seems like a really bad influence. At least it came with some free tires I can maybe trade for weapons or street cred.

Temporary list of things:

GS02F Pro cantilever kit
RC4WD Toyota Xtra Cab body
HH SHV500LP Steering servo

Ordered:
HW Fusion Pro
Gmade Sawback bumper
Minor bling (diff covers)

Inspiration:
4NTMKp8.jpg

I've only come as far as shanking the box in the kidney area, and thus revealing yet another interesting RC truck manufacturer's catchphrase:

OI3cvbj.jpg

I'm a bit befumbled, but rest assured:

THE BEAST

WILL

BE

DROPPED

More soon!

-Mats

jdhog

I like it. I'm excited to follow this one. I had similar plans with a BOM and the Xtra Cab, but I ended up putting a Comanche body on the BOM and made the Xtra Cab a truggy on an Element chassis.

53364144511_c514b3faa6_k.jpg

53363257342_94c2e91288_k.jpg

Bystickel

V.I.P. Member
"Excuse me, excuse me, Sir! I think you have dropped your beast."

It's safe to say that the hobby industry doesn't always hire the beast and brightest.

I'm looking forward to seeing more. I have a feeling this will be a fun ride.

Daoger

V.I.P. Member
Haha, thanks you guys. Setting sail on this tiny journey tomorrow, probably. Just kinda looking at stuff now. Here we have the GM57018 A-Bag, which contains these other bags that constitute the "Pro" portion of the kit
o69jVQ9.jpg

HD steel links, driveshafts, diff lockers and ball ends, plus brass wheel hexes and knuckle bushings. Speaking on brass: I talked to my hobby shop plug Kristian, who says his cantilever Buffalo wanted to tip over a lot - which is not the best prospect for someone putting a dang art sculpture ABS body with an interior on top of the same chassis.

I'm already thinking about a sway bar, brass weights (SSD knuckles maybe?), and how wide a stance I can put on this thing without looking
IMG_9286.jpeg

Meanwhile... it's the question that drives us. It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, as do I..

What.. is.. The Beast? (And given: what happens when I drop it?!?)
IMG_9288.jpeg

Is the truck The Beast? Am I the beast? Drop myself?! Or maybe it is the truck, and they're secretly telling me to lower the ride height because the CG is a tad high?

My head hurts, I'm going to bed

Daoger

V.I.P. Member
I like it. I'm excited to follow this one. I had similar plans with a BOM and the Xtra Cab, but I ended up putting a Comanche body on the BOM and made the Xtra Cab a truggy on an Element chassis.
Both those babies are The Beast; dropped!
Just started an Xtracab build myself. Looking forward to this one!
Sweet, let's do the damn thing. Been waiting 3 years for this, still hyped!

Daoger

V.I.P. Member
"Excuse me, excuse me, Sir! I think you have dropped your beast."

It's safe to say that the hobby industry doesn't always hire the beast and brightest.

I'm looking forward to seeing more. I have a feeling this will be a fun ride.
Lollll! I know it's probably just a little language barrier thing, and I don't wanna make fun of the people behind it.. but some of these slogans are hilarious. I see it in a lot of smaller non-english-speaking-country based companies in other industries too, trying to write lil jingles for themselves. Funny shit. I removed "being a bad-" from the middle of a Boom Racing sticker so it just says "ENJOY( ) ASS" and I thought I was pretty clever, but also realise I might go to hell

Kear

Bleb
I removed "being a bad-" from the middle of a Boom Racing sticker so it just says "ENJOY( ) ASS"

Hrm....Is that an instruction, a command, or a suggestion?...Or is it a threat?...

...But I look forward to seein' this one come together!

Daoger

V.I.P. Member
Hrm....Is that an instruction, a command, or a suggestion?...Or is it a threat?...

...But I look forward to seein' this one come together!
This mysterious/cringey vibe is really growing on me! Me too, man. Too bad I have to go away and not build this whole weekend, but I'm about to start right now.

Daoger

V.I.P. Member
Months ago I started manipulating my boss with the intention of making him think we need a 3D-printer at work. He's awesome and a gearhead, so when he cracked he got us a Bambu P1, which is a frickin quantum pole vault from the Flashforge Adventurers I've dabbled with before.

Printed a little sample wheel from DVScale on Cults3D, which is nice, but it lead me to think maybe I'm gonna want 1.55" wheels for this build.

wHCF6aL.jpg

J7uYcif.jpg
g67QVMg.jpg

They are 3-piece beadlocks, only printed the face for now. That Bambu is so fast and precise. Wowzers.

Last edited:

ItsTooBright!

You can call me Mr. Dobalina.
Haha, thanks you guys. Setting sail on this tiny journey tomorrow, probably. Just kinda looking at stuff now. Here we have the GM57018 A-Bag, which contains these other bags that constitute the "Pro" portion of the kit
o69jVQ9.jpg

HD steel links, driveshafts, diff lockers and ball ends, plus brass wheel hexes and knuckle bushings. Speaking on brass: I talked to my hobby shop plug Kristian, who says his cantilever Buffalo wanted to tip over a lot - which is not the best prospect for someone putting a dang art sculpture ABS body with an interior on top of the same chassis.

I'm already thinking about a sway bar, brass weights (SSD knuckles maybe?), and how wide a stance I can put on this thing without looking
View attachment 52544

Meanwhile... it's the question that drives us. It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, as do I..

What.. is.. The Beast? (And given: what happens when I drop it?!?)
View attachment 52545
Is the truck The Beast? Am I the beast? Drop myself?! Or maybe it is the truck, and they're secretly telling me to lower the ride height because the CG is a tad high?

My head hurts, I'm going to bed
Don't mind me, I'll just be in the corner trying to figure out what the heck I just witnessed.

Daoger

V.I.P. Member
Don't mind me, I'll just be in the corner trying to figure out what the heck I just witnessed.
The picture of the thug with the mask, knife and shiny-teeth scared me. I can't follow the build any further.

Dangit. I should've warned you this would get weird. I swear that guy is really nice and caring though! Thanks for being openminded @ItsTooBright!

fl8AvTl.jpg

Time flew and I left this stuff on the living room table before running to catch a plane. Those bevel gears have been under scrutiny for their sintered nature and I'm currently blessing them with ancient energy keep them strong.
MCu431T.jpg

I wanted straight axles. These have lumps on them!
Gonna straighten them out this sunday. Wishing everyone a happy weekend. Don't do anything the masked guy wouldn't do.

Daoger

V.I.P. Member
So the season, combined with one of my heirs being an absolute powertool of snoring, sent me into a partial coma after this weekend. So tired, not even funny. Was pleasantly surprised by finding Fargo S5 on the interwebs (and also had to go watch S2 again), which added to my Scandi-bandit mentality, and finally managed to do a little screwin'
9aaHy8D.jpg

ISO: wife who thinks this style of living room decoration is charming

VgGWI4X.jpg

See what I mean? Smaller rims yayy.

On this subject: I tried advertising in search of some wheels on Faceberk.... that place really has turned into Scam Central. Within an hour of posting my wish on the only RC4WD-specific sales group I found, I had responses from 4 fake profiles, complete with fake friends, fake photos of fake family and RCs, and fake info - but definitely themed and styled to a degree which I think could fool someone less criminally disposed than, say, me. When you try to report these obvious scamming profiles, pages and groups - the answer from Meta is: "I see nothing wrong here". Big hmm. Doesn't seem very sustainable. A general warning for this day and age: expect scamming attempts online, every day.

Also, RC groups on Facebook be like:

Me: asking a question, any question, about any subject.
50 dudes:
dHlNOXC.jpg

Moving on!

Carved these out of marshmallow fondant:
yG524oz.jpg

Smooth when churned, pretty wide babies. Gonna try to keep the track width around 240mm. SSD 1.55" 8-holes are the top contender for wheels, I think.

Erstwhile on Fargo:
2n8xaUv.jpg

Bought a receiver with the chassis, couldn't find it.. turns out it was in this ball of paper, which I had tossed in the fireplace. Thankfully didn't light anything. Aaaaaaanywho:

TBC

Last edited:

Daoger

V.I.P. Member
Oh noes! I did this exact thing in your post. My bad and please don't stab me with a pointy thing.
Dude I love truck. And you were totally on topic. Don't be afraid. I only stab boxes that cost me my hard earned money, and the occational styrene sheet

Aren't we all..... My wife is pretty great, but still doesn't let me build trucks in the living room...
I think that's probably the sane approach.. fair deal for a good partner. I only have these little axles to cuddle up with..

17TK8vC.jpg

Had these M2 scale bolts, from some ProBuild wheels maybe? Looks better. I think that axle truss might get swapped for a metal one
h8RGhPD.jpg

I used danish butter mixed with traditional norwegian walrus lard for the gears. So smooth. Building the transmission was pretty fun, I locked the Hi-Lo shifter in low for now. Don't even know if I'll want a servo under the seats on this thing, we'll see.
76NOyGZ.jpg

kmdtUL4.jpg

qe1yiXh.jpg

Up until now I've had 3 finished-ish 1:10 trucks and only one motor in rotation - currently sitting in my VS4-10. Felt nice to get a Fusion Pro on sale, easy cop

I don't get enough sleeeeep

In other news, my 1:1 is back from a 3 year coma, started first try with a new battery and is now wild
in the streets, with moss patina n everythang

IMG_3663.jpeg

S-10 love!!

Last edited: