Ecto drivesharft stuck on help

Alfy

Hi all so iam in the process of trying to put the 11% overdrive in my ecto but to seams whoever built the rig has used way to much lock tight on the drivesharft grub screws and I can't get the driver off . Dose anyone have any ideas to get to off without braking the plastic? Any help would be appreciated

VisionaryRC

Some kid on the internet
Do you have any reverse drill bits, or extraction bits? Those are extraordinary handy in such situations as mentioned above.

Alfy

No I don't. Iam only new to the hobby so building my collection of tools as well . I didn't even know there was such a thing lol . After close examination by myself and a friend we both believe they used superglue onit ant 3 out of the 4 drivesharft ends will not come off

fab1ten

V.I.P. Member
No I don't. Iam only new to the hobby so building my collection of tools as well . I didn't even know there was such a thing lol . After close examination by myself and a friend we both believe they used superglue onit ant 3 out of the 4 drivesharft ends will not come off
Heat will break down the adhesive bond. However, if you have a plastic casing then you will have to be careful not to get the plastic so hot that it gets damaged. I think you should be able to find a temperature that softens the glue, but preserves the plastic. Hopefully you have access to get heat directly into the metal part.

If you don't, here's an idea that I have never actually tried (so take that for what it's worth!), but might work. Insert the tool into the screw and apply a loosening torque at the same time as applying heat to the tool (maybe with a lighter or soldering iron?). The heat should conduct through the tool and into the screw first, loosening the glue before enough heat travels into the rest of the part. Might work. Of course, the tool is going to get hot too, so wear gloves and don't call me if you burn the house down.

Alfy

Heat will break down the adhesive bond. However, if you have a plastic casing then you will have to be careful not to get the plastic so hot that it gets damaged. I think you should be able to find a temperature that softens the glue, but preserves the plastic. Hopefully you have access to get heat directly into the metal part.

If you don't, here's an idea that I have never actually tried (so take that for what it's worth!), but might work. Insert the tool into the screw and apply a loosening torque at the same time as applying heat to the tool (maybe with a lighter or soldering iron?). The heat should conduct through the tool and into the screw first, loosening the glue before enough heat travels into the rest of the part. Might work. Of course, the tool is going to get hot too, so wear gloves and don't call me if you burn the house

Alfy

Thank u all for the help . Turns put i had a heat gun i had forgotten about. Got the off after applying heat for 4mins lol . Cant believe they used super glue.