ebaYJeep - aka. Daydream B'leafer

JMo

V.I.P. Member
Well, I finally got this mod finished... I'd been waiting for a nice low-profile Hobbywing 1080 to arrive in the post (my go-to choice of ESC these days) so that it might fit in the existing tray above the servo and motor - only to find that the bonnet wouldn't quite close on top of the power leads (note. you could probably squish them down if the bonnet was held on by pins or a catch, but I wanted to use magnets).

However, a bit of lateral (or is that horizontal?) thinking, and shifting the shorty Lipo battery slightly to the right, and I could mount the ESC inside the front driver's side wheel-arch, much as I'd done with the TJ Hooker - and indeed it turns out there was plenty of room for a slightly fatter 1060 ESC I had been using to test my Blazer Bogger build, so that is in the YJ now, and the 1080 will go in the Bogger when it's done.

photo. a quick mod to the inner wheel-arch/battery tray assembly, so that the shorty pack sits offset to the right, and there is a flat panel to mount the ESC vertically inside the left wheel-arch, with easy access to the power switch too.

photo. it's not especially tidy, but then neither is the under-bonnet layout of a real YJ! Still, I was really pleased to squeeze a 2S shorty Lipo, ESC, Receiver and remote winch controller (plus a feed for the LED lights) under the hood of a Tamiya YJ... along with the steering servo and motor/planetary gearbox too of course!

photo. working hood hinges - these were trimmed down and dress-pin heads used as rivets. I've since painted them in dirty white to match the existing bodywork.

So there we go! - the evolution of the Daydream B'Leafer continues - together with a full depth open interior and no doors (and the tidying up of the original wiring under the chassis) there is almost no indication this is an RC truck. Best of all, I no longer have to remove the body each time to access the battery or perform any minor servicing...

Hope you like these latest mods!

Jenny

Last edited:
Reactions: TLC

TLC

Scaled, but not fishy.
Yes, definitely liked mate. ::2thumbs As I said earlier, this is a real winner of a mod Jenny. I have started planning this style of electronics set up on a current build, thanks for the inspiration and ideas.:cool2::biggthumpup:

Reactions: JMo

JMo

V.I.P. Member
Glad to be of help TLC!

In fact I'm tempted to get some more of those tiny hinges and maybe reattach the doors (as I mentioned in a previous post) - with the choice of having them on or off!

It never ends!

Jenny