Dag's Land Rover Series iia swb

dagabba

Supporting Member
Bonnet now and I decided to try something a bit different. Having built a few roofs with the ribbing (!) method I wanted something that would look correct from underneath too and got some inspiration from the 1:1.

Built a frame first:

20210709_090353.jpg

Then stretched a sheet over it, this was obviously the tricky bit. Spent a lot of time cutting and bending, there's a huge amount of the side that's totally unsupported so it does have to have the correct shape before attaching rather than relying on solvent to hold it.

20210712_170055.jpg

After this I did add some support o the sides- and some more detail to the frame. I'll probably dremel it out a bit on the two curved pieces, have marked all 52 (on each side!) rivet locations though. Before actually putting them in I need to have a couple of passes with primer- can't sand when the rivets are in!

20210712_170237.jpg

And I've put the windscreen together- ended up with lots of slightly different shaped slats of styrene though it's thankfully reasonably solid after assembly.

20210709_211420.jpg

Had quite a lot of fun the wipers and supports:

20210712_122115.jpg

Here it is assembled:

20210712_170325.jpg

Bugsplatface version:

20210712_170359.jpg

Wipers currently auto eject when the screen folds down hehe!

dagabba

Supporting Member
Ok, so I've gone off on a complete tangent. Have started the cabin controls but got distracted...

First I got some more leaves (leafs?) In the post. On Jenny's ( @JMo ) suggestion I ordered some for 1/14 heavies and they've given me some great options on spring and shackle length.

It's sitting much better now, I could still drop it further by thing leaf under axle (as the 1:1 is) but with some weight I think this will work.

Front end uses the longer, crawler type leaf with short shackles and I've swapped things round so the shackles are towards the rear. The axle pumpkin does conflict with servo horn on big compressions so I've raised it a bit, any higher and it will meet the spur gear- things are getting tight in there!

20210718_152339.jpg

In the rear I'm using the same shackles but coupled with the shorter, 1/14 leaves:

20210718_152301.jpg

And you can see I've also received some items from @Fourth Protocol 's shopping list. Absolutely love these narrow Landies from Loops with Pitbull Temcos...

Also picked up lights from Loops and some rivets:

20210718_152439.jpg

Thanks for all the help peeps, this is why the forum rules!

Reactions: JMo

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
Dude, it's just awesome all 'round! And @JMo appears to be a very useful mammal indeed - I too will make use of this suggestion ::2thumbs

Getting the blues here, because our holiday plans fell through I've been doing fun stuff with my boy all week but no building. Next week I have daytimes to myself.... :cool:

Anyways your truck is turning out great. Just waiting to see how you plan on adding authentic unreliability :laughing:

PS. The Temcos out-performed expectation. A decent choice.

dagabba

Supporting Member
Dude, it's just awesome all 'round! And @JMo appears to be a very useful mammal indeed - I too will make use of this suggestion ::2thumbs

Getting the blues here, because our holiday plans fell through I've been doing fun stuff with my boy all week but no building. Next week I have daytimes to myself.... :cool:

Anyways your truck is turning out great. Just waiting to see how you plan on adding authentic unreliability :laughing:

PS. The Temcos out-performed expectation. A decent choice.
Thanks man!

Sorry about your holiday, that sucks. I guess it's probably happening to a few people right now, don't know what's going on here...

dagabba

Supporting Member
Here's the weekend's styrene work, decided to have a go at the rear tub.

First this happened:

20210715_170153.jpg

Doors removed because it'll actually make paint/assembly easier. Also, it's going to have a full interior so I might as well show it off.

Then I built the box out.

20210718_163455.jpg

Mostly pretty straightforward but it all hangs off the rear bulkhead which has some complex angles that are hard to see accurately. Amazingly, Andi from the Little Green Landie helped me out with some measuring (an incredibly detailed diagram) of both this and the seat box which fill out the middle of the truck. Huge thanks to him!

Here's a corner with many angles:

20210718_163503.jpg

On the other side I've cut the holes for the fuel line, need to find something the right size but malleable enough to feed through here.

20210718_163524.jpg

It will then be covered by this shroud:

20210718_163558.jpg

And final glamour shot with lights:

20210718_201146.jpg

Seatbox and floors are the last large parts to make but it's the detail that takes time- particularly the galvanised cappings and associated rivets. 4 weeks to go... will it get painted?

Little honorable mention here to Jessicat, our lovely Moggie who was run down by a car yesterday. Much sadness in the Dag household. Amazingly this is a near perfect scale version.

2Beers

It's me again.
Nope, your doing it wrong.....
:laughing:
Your getting to good at this tiny truck game.... Banned.

Actually, Going to be another thing of beauty. My eye's are happy. Looking so correct and them details.....geeeeesh.:luv:
Top Notch build my friend, Top Notch indeed.

UpsidedownRC

Patience Tested!
I would love to be able produce something like this, maybe not my next build but in the future. I’ve spotted a ‘retro vibes’ D90 I want to replicate and this would be perfect.

TLC

Scaled, but not fishy.
Bad news about your family pet mate, sorry to hear that.🐱🙁

Thank you for sharing more of your awesome styrene skills with us though, very satisfying build to follow. ::2thumbs

dagabba

Supporting Member
Nope, your doing it wrong.....
Your getting to good at this tiny truck game.... Banned.

Actually, Going to be another thing of beauty. My eye's are happy. Looking so correct and them details.....geeeeesh.:luv:
Top Notch build my friend, Top Notch indeed.
Thanks so much Beers! Learning all the time from you guys!
Holy smokes, what a build! This is a pleasure to read through. Sorry to hear about your cat.
Thanks.
I would love to be able produce something like this, maybe not my next build but in the future. I’ve spotted a ‘retro vibes’ D90 I want to replicate and this would be perfect.
Great, that sounds fun!
Bad news about your family pet mate, sorry to hear that.🐱🙁

Thank you for sharing more of your awesome styrene skills with us though, very satisfying build to follow. ::2thumbs
Thanks. Glad you're enjoying.
You are a magician! That firewall and your workmanship is incredible sir!
Thanks so much!

dagabba

Supporting Member
Ok, next piece of the puzzle was building up the seat box. Here's the basic shape- there are access flaps for (from left) fuel tank, gearbox and ancillary battery box. I'd planned to add these details below but I'm now thinking it could probably fit ecu, receiver and battery which would be very handy!

20210719_120234.jpg

Here it is detailed- lids and seat rails added, handbrake for LHD blanked off and many small bolts dropped in:
20210720_094124.jpg

I also did some more work on the chassis- printed supports for the rear bulkhead, subframe (will hold the floor and sills) and rear bumper- need to find some flat head screws. I've also gone leaf under axle, very pleased with the new ride height:
20210726_113731.jpg

Then the slow and painstaking job of adding galvanised top trim around the tub and rivetting it all. I've burned through my first pack of 175 rivets... still got one side to do...
20210726_125952.jpg

Here's the cab side with seat box added, I've also put in the crank- not sure if this is for changing wheels or starting with a flat battery (or generally hitting things with) but it's fun and pops out for use.
20210726_130102.jpg

So, getting there... 3 weeks to the holiday. Plan is to hang the doors, make seats and floor this week, that leaves me just detailing and painting. Think I can do it. Possibly. Might all be in primer grey...

TLC

Scaled, but not fishy.
So many rivets, so many beautiful details. :cool2: ::2thumbs
This build already has multiple layers of awesomeness and there is still more to come.:wow:

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Ah rivets... I hand punched about 300 or so when I did the steam Jeep. Not fun. Beautiful job on this one sir, destined for greatness.