Dag's 1978 Volvo 245 dl estate

dagabba

Supporting Member
Old volvos (and new ones) rule. bad ass build man

Thanks man, Forza Volvo!

Nice work on the dashboard Dagabba!!
How are you going to do the different meters?

Thanks Beanos! Yeah, I'm trying to work that out. Probably print some graphics, just need to get the resolution high enough. I could mount on lexan and put an LED behind... but I also don't want loads of wiring... so many possibilities- best part of a scratch build but sometimes too many options for me to procrastinate over!

Mr Beanos

Supporting Member
Thanks Beanos! Yeah, I'm trying to work that out. Probably print some graphics, just need to get the resolution high enough. I could mount on lexan and put an LED behind... but I also don't want loads of wiring... so many possibilities- best part of a scratch build but sometimes too many options for me to procrastinate over!

to have a quality print with a quality image too, it is better to do it on glossy photo paper! The classic printing paper tends to absorb the ink and make the print blurred on very small details...

JonFoster

Did someone say "Bronco?"
Dag, I just read this whole thread over the course of a few days, and man, I can only dream for the level of detail you are putting into this. I currently have a unpublished build that I'm working on that is striving for this detail.

dagabba

Supporting Member
to have a quality print with a quality image too, it is better to do it on glossy photo paper! The classic printing paper tends to absorb the ink and make the print blurred on very small details...

That's great knowledge, thanks Franck! I'll get hold of some!

Dag, I just read this whole thread over the course of a few days, and man, I can only dream for the level of detail you are putting into this. I currently have a unpublished build that I'm working on that is striving for this detail.

Thanks Jon! It does take a long time... but fun to see it gradually progress. Post your build! Sounds interesting!

dagabba

Supporting Member
So... this being a Volvo thread... I've made another box. :biggthumpup:
Added some little details too:

20210403_172326.jpg

joe122

Drool worthy....so cool to watch this progress. Absolutely next level details, from that tire well, suspension design, under hood work to the dash, simply amazing!!!!

Frizzen

Beautiful dash details!

To do the backlit gauges really well, you'll want some ''printer transparency paper'' clear plastic sheets that worked with overhead projectors, and take inkjet nicely. Ink takes even longer to dry than photopaper. You'll probably want a light diffuser behind it.

dagabba

Supporting Member
Drool worthy....so cool to watch this progress. Absolutely next level details, from that tire well, suspension design, under hood work to the dash, simply amazing!!!!

Thanks so much Scott!

Very well said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Each piece has been a absolute joy to look at.

Simply amazing.

Thanks Beers!!

Beautiful dash details!

To do the backlit gauges really well, you'll want some ''printer transparency paper'' clear plastic sheets that worked with overhead projectors, and take inkjet nicely. Ink takes even longer to dry than photopaper. You'll probably want a light diffuser behind it.

Very helpful, Thanks Frizzen!

This is just absolutely brilliant!

Thanks Shannwah!!

This is having a little pause now while I get the Simca together... I also need to do some gauge printing and ABS printing... then finish the inside details and I'll finally be starting the paint work.

dagabba

Supporting Member
The Volvo is back!

It's got seats to sit in now!

I made a Mando helmet for my son recently from EVA foam and it's pretty cool stuff. Made me think about other things I could do with it...

20210521_180824.jpg

It cuts easily with a sharp hobby blade, and you can sand it...

20210522_161859.jpg

There are special chemicals that bond it but you have to use gloves and a respirator- I find hot glue works fine. You then coat it with PVA (or again, something more effective/toxic) and sand back until you have the finish you want. I've gone for fairly smooth but with a bit of "material" texture. Also added some runners from brass and a few styrene bits... and printed headrests:

20210617_171622.jpg

Highly recommend it!

Couple more details and this will be driveable... needs a steering wheel first...

JunkGTZ

Supporting Member
I've used wood glue to coat the foam after shaping and to seal it for painting. Then I used regular Krylon acrylic spray paint on it. So long as the surface is completely covered the foam won't react. However, if the item might experience some flexing the wood glue surface can crack and it will show through the paint. I used to own an old Volvo 850 Turbo wagon and I loved the seats! They really knew how to make comfortable easy handling cars. Sadly the rest of the interior bits - the dash and the plastics were crap and when the engine quit I jinked it because the interior was chock full of broken stuff. I wished I took the seats out though!

dagabba

Supporting Member
I've used wood glue to coat the foam after shaping and to seal it for painting. Then I used regular Krylon acrylic spray paint on it. So long as the surface is completely covered the foam won't react. However, if the item might experience some flexing the wood glue surface can crack and it will show through the paint. I used to own an old Volvo 850 Turbo wagon and I loved the seats! They really knew how to make comfortable easy handling cars. Sadly the rest of the interior bits - the dash and the plastics were crap and when the engine quit I jinked it because the interior was chock full of broken stuff. I wished I took the seats out though!
Yup- I guess that's probably the same as the PVA I used? I've noticed you can also peel it off when it's on thickly, could make for some cool exposed foam effects on an old banger.

Oh, 850 Turbo sounds fun!!

Divi

Dude, this is so accurate and beautiful work!
I've been 1:1 Volvo hobbyist for long time and its so great to see people replicating these great cars in RC! Keep it up!

dagabba

Supporting Member
Dude, this is so accurate and beautiful work!
I've been 1:1 Volvo hobbyist for long time and its so great to see people replicating these great cars in RC! Keep it up!
Thanks! I keep on feeling the urge to become a 1:1 Volvo hobbyist too... one day.

dagabba

Supporting Member
Got some more work done on this interior- I was isolating so the styrene dust has been flowing!

Carved down a gear knob with the drill:
20210521_142855.jpg

Used some ali tube with heat shrink, I quite like that for some reason. Also added the button at the top:
20210521_150256.jpg

Here it is in place- covering the gearbox screw holes, I'll shoogoo a magnet under it. I also added the handbrake/seat belt housing:
20210624_203007.jpg

Then got the steering column, wheel and ignition key hole in, and added some pedals. The wheel is neeearly round, I'll keep massaging it.
20210624_204219.jpg

Doh! Just noticed I forgot the indicator stems!