Chrome finish peels off of RC4WD bumper...

mikelangelo

I'm trying to apply some paint to chrome bumper from RC4WD... I used painters tape to mask off edges... when I peeled the tape a lot of the chrome finish came off with it... is this.. normal?? Any suggestions for touching it up?

What do you use to mask this type of piece that won't do this?? I appreciate help from ANYONE...

I didn't know how to add a photo to the forum, so here's a link from my website... it's just a link to an image:
http://mikelangelo.com/badChrome.jpeg

Kear

Bleb
Wish the paint came off that easily.

But generally I try to find the lowest tack masking tape I can for anything like chrome or pieces I've got decals on. My current go to is the yellow frog tape, the delicate as they call it. I also find that hand brushing/paint penning works very well on things that might get damaged by the tape.

Edit : Perhaps liquid masking would work? I've never personally tried it.

mikelangelo

Wish the paint came off that easily.

But generally I try to find the lowest tack masking tape I can for anything like chrome or pieces I've got decals on. My current go to is the yellow frog tape, the delicate as they call it. I also find that hand brushing/paint penning works very well on things that might get damaged by the tape.

Edit : Perhaps liquid masking would work? I've never personally tried it.
Thanks.. I have the yellow frog tape and I "should" have used it.. smh.. I used the green frog tape this time.. big mistake... Ironically, I'm not done with the piece and I'm trying the liquid mask for part of the same piece. Fingers crossed... I'll know tomorrow..

Kear

Bleb
If you find that the chrome doesn't hold up no matter and you still want it chrome, I recently discovered the amazing effects of a molotow chrome pen. They're rather pricy but the results don't lie.

20211011_230025.jpg

20211011_230029.jpg

These were painted lazily with no surface prep. They were a dull greyish silvery color previously.

mikelangelo

If you find that the chrome doesn't hold up no matter and you still want it chrome, I recently discovered the amazing effects of a molotow chrome pen. They're rather pricy but the results don't lie.

View attachment 41661

View attachment 41662

These were painted lazily with no surface prep. They were a dull greyish silvery color previously.
Nice.. I also, literally, just discovered these pens as well. They work great for accents and the like for sure. I may try and paint the peeled sections with some chrome paint via airbrush... since the damaged area will likely be covered by the hood, perhaps that would be sufficient. Thanks for all the feedback!