Breakover Ramp

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
Started this project way back in December 2017, I think it was. I've modified it over the years, and just done a whole herd of new work on it, so it's probably time the breakover ramp got it's own thread. Which also lets me try out the new forum softwarez.

Going to include most of the original photos for continuity, but you can still see them and their comments in the original thread.

The inspiration is the Unimog Museum's mobile ramp which they use to demonstrate the Unimog's ascent and descent angles.

Unimog_Ramp.jpg

And so I inserted myself into the meat grinder of repetetive tasks on a scale I'd never imagined when I started.

I started by cutting out some rails for the tracks, and bars for the rails. Little did I know how much more was to come... ::awwcrap

Parcours_Angles_02.jpg

Anyway, assembling a track was a simle process of glueing the bars into the slots I'd cut into the rails. Consider that each of the rails in the photo below has 30 bars, and so I cut out 60 little slots per rail... ...totalling over 460 little slots I cut out, buy hand, no machines, for the whole thing. Madness.

Parcours_Angles_03.jpg

Here are all the rails I need for the ramp.

Parcours_Angles_04.jpg

Last edited:

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
Next step was to assemble all these track parts...

Parcours_Angles_09.jpg

into into just two long tracks -

Parcours_Angles_08.jpg

Joins between track parts look like this:

Parcours_Angles_06.jpg

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
Next step was to build the structure/trestle that held the ramp in place.

Parcours_Angles_11.jpg

The first half looked like this -

Parcours_Angles_12.jpg

Already stable enough to drive up! Cross-sections of the trestle were held in place with simple wires bent at 90° that made asssembly and disassembly easy.

Parcours_Angles_16.jpg

The completed version 1 ramp looked like this:

Parcours_Angles_13.jpg

I was convinced that I was a maestro, and was done, and life was good.

Parcours_Angles_14.jpg

I loved it.

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
The first mod came in November 2018. I wanted a cleaner look, and I wanted a consistent width (with the old system I had to position tracks by eye). And so the setup got wider, and I added thee tracks outside and between the tracks you drive on. Here's the first in-progress photo:

Parcours_Angles_20.JPG

More, now with all parts completed...

Parcours_Angles_22.JPG

And trying them out on the centre trestle:

Parcours_Angles_24.JPG

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
The extra width and weight complicated things though - the middle sagged. The M5 threaded rod wasn't up to the load anymore. And so I thunk out a new trestle that let me add three height-adjustable supports in the middle of the track. Here you can see old and new side-by-side.

Parcours_Angles_28.JPG

And this one shows how the track sections are now supported in the middle, with a truck on it, without sag -

Parcours_Angles_30.JPG

All three rods (front, middle, rear) are height-adjustable.

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
And so up until March this year it looked like this:

Breakover_Ramp_01.JPG

Those two posts on the right are also height-adjustable. The idea behind them was to make a gantry across the track with lighting built in. I got the remaining two posts made in time for the JS Scale Experience in France last year. This was it's first public appearance. The photo below was unfortunately the only one I took, and was after I'd begun the disassembly.

At_JSScale_Experience_2020.JPG

Lessons learnt from this experience -
  • Not enough traction for smaller tyres (none of my own trucks with small tyres made it).
  • Never set things like this up at night. I didn't realize this was next to an old firepit and so it was standing on ash and got filthy.
  • I had little shackles on some of the upright supports as a winch aid. Many of them grew legs and had to be replenished.

Last edited:

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
And so we get to the current crop of updates. First came operation clean-up. I had to sand the whole thing down to get rid of the ash ::awwcrap And then I painted it to make it weather-proof and easier to clean.

Paint_02.JPG

Lots of masking followed...

Paint_03.JPG

But the outcome was alright :cool2:

Paint_04.JPG

Last edited:

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
The tracks themselves were as mind-numbingly boring as ever. This time doubly-so because painting between the little bars was bad enough, but then I had to add these little pieces of 5mm x 5mm wood to aid traction.

Tracktion_Aid_01.JPG

Why do I DO this to me :blackeye: Here's another messy in-progress pic.

Paint_05.JPG

That came to 232 little bars I had to cut, glue and paint to aid with traction...:smoke:

The bridge hasn't been re-assembled since starting with this round of modifications.

Last edited:

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
Made those gantries I've been wanting-

Gantry_01.JPG

They contain a battery box (2 x AA) and a board that lets it power up to 12 lights. Only using 5 lights per gantry though.

Gantry_02.JPG

From above:

Gantry_03.JPG

And from below -

Gantry_04.JPG

Need to keep all that dry though, so the gantries have covers.

Gantry_05.JPG

Was thinking of doing a billboard style thing with those gantries. Maybe like this...

Ad_Example.jpg

;)

And with that we're up to date. Going to clean up the covers, reassemble, test, and then pack into a box for the second JS Scale Experience in exactly 14 days' time!

Last edited:

dagabba

Supporting Member
Made those gantries I've been wanting-

View attachment 39738

They contain a battery box (2 x AA) and a board that lets it power up to 12 lights. Only using 5 lights per gantry though.

View attachment 39739

From above:

View attachment 39740

And from below -

View attachment 39741

Need to keep all that dry though, so the gantries have covers.

View attachment 39742

Was thinking of doing a billboard style thing with those gantries. Maybe like this...

View attachment 39743

;)

And with that we're up to date.

Nice work!

Very nice structure and the spotlights are a great addition!

Fourth Protocol

V.I.P. Member
Nice work!

Very nice structure and the spotlights are a great addition!
Thank you. It's approaching what I had in mind when I started this four years ago.

So just a simple afternoon project then? :laughing: Looks absolutely stunning sir. Well done. You've got patience like nearly nobody else I know.
Yeah... surprised I stuck with it. I was convinced many times I'd give up. And yet here we are. I feel good about having stuck it out.

Lots of work but payed of...pretty big struture but looks great
Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes it ;)

Anyways it's ready for the JS Scale Experience next weekend.

Breakover_Ramp_04.JPG

Breakover_Ramp_05.JPG

Breakover_Ramp_07.JPG

I was hoping for photos in the dark to see how the illumination works but the mother, father and granmammy and pappy of downpours erupted about 15 minutes after taking the daylight pics. Setting this thing up takes a good 20 minutes so I'll get some next weekend.

Last edited: