BOOM! NOW it's SCALE.

MaxPower

Supporting Member
Hey everybody, wanted to share this w/ you all for a while now but I have been struggling to make these damn oversized files to compress & fit.... We'll see if this works.
Never one who is satisfied w/ what IS... I'm always trying to make something that ain't. Thus I set out to make an offset BRX80 axle to replace the TEQ ultimate scale axle I had modded to run on leafs. Why you ask? Well there was a little bit of driveshaft/tranny contact at full compression and that's not cool. Plus the track width of the front & rear were off my a couple mm's even w/ compensating hub widths. So just to make everything simpler/more simple(?), I ended up going this route. I also did it to be able to run disc brakes on the axle ends to boot....

Attachments

• IMG_20231226_163103~2.jpg
    IMG_20231226_163103~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

MaxPower

Supporting Member
I made a pair of offsets , one went under the TF2 swb/Tamiya YJ w/driver side drop and another under the TF2/4Runner w/pass. side drop

Attachments

• IMG_20240105_213947~2.jpg
    IMG_20240105_213947~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231224_130637~2.jpg
    IMG_20231224_130637~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

MaxPower

Supporting Member
I initially planned for 7.3mm of offset but when the shoulders of the center casting were squared up, I ended up almost a mm short so some spacers were turned and everything measured out for the inner axle shafts(a BRX90 for the long side and a BRX80 w/ longer flats for the short side) It ended up the same amount of offset as a set of Yota axles but a good bit narrower ๐Ÿ‘

MaxPower

Supporting Member
After much deliberation, I figured I'd just turn this into a thread about the process of modding Boom Racing BRX front axles....
My perspective of a TF2 SWB chassis and the reason behind the whole thing- a Wrangler is driver side drop of course ๐Ÿ™„ and the driveshaft contact on the transmission.Compress_20240111_004421_1547.jpgCompress_20240111_004422_2581.jpg

MaxPower

Supporting Member
I should say at this point that the ds rubbing is exaggerated due to the high pinion of the BRX differentials so just clarifying why that may appear excessive compared to 'Yota axles in the kit. So the gears stared turning upstairs, smoke rolled, metal grinding against metal, bluegrass blasted in the background and multiple ideas trickling forth over an extended period of days and weeks. ๐Ÿคช Using another offset axle for dimensional references, I started putting #s to paperCompress_20240111_004420_0052.jpgCompress_20240111_004424_4729.jpg
...Compress_20240211_093509_9862.jpg
๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜„

MaxPower

Supporting Member
I won't get into the different ideas I came up w/ in the brainstorming so I will just discuss the solution I came up w/ and why(if there is a reason/choice)....so one of multiple reasons I settled on modding the BRX axle was because I was already running a BRX in the rear of the rigs I have built and enjoy the commonality of parts, the modularity of the axles themselves and the fact they run AR44 gears for being able to run O/D or U/D by just gear swaps on top of fine tuning the font to rear difference....(phewwww...๐Ÿง) aaaaanywho, there is usually a reason to my insanity and if I miss something, plz ask ๐Ÿ‘. Another major reason for BRX was because you can get the axle shafts themselves in different lengths. The the gears screeched to a halt and the alarms went berserk when I realized the difference between each width of BRX series axle was 14mm (or half for each side =~7mm ๐Ÿ˜ณ) which was the same amount of offset i was shooting for and it became a no brainer. So upon careful analysis, I figured out if I made the offset around 7-8mm, I could use BRX90 shafts on the long side and BRX70 shafts on the short side and BOOM! ๐Ÿ˜„ scale offset! ๐Ÿ‘
Compress_20240211_065303_3342.jpg

MaxPower

Supporting Member
Uhhh...Nooo, it wasn't just THAT simple...THAT would have been too easy! ๐Ÿ™„ A little more to it than that....the outer axle housings also contain/determine the spring perches/link mounts so any shift differences had to be made to the differential housing. Simple logic-chop material off one side, add it to the other, right? ๐Ÿคช Exactly. Kinda.Compress_20240210_121804_4392.jpgCompress_20240210_121804_4823.jpg

MaxPower

Supporting Member
After all the numbers were crunched and then adjusted for the real world, it ended up being 8.5mm. so hacked and turned down one side to match original dimensions, minus the knurling) and then cut off the excess on the opposite side, drilled and reamed to slip fit a new "extender" piece which was then secured w/w set screw thru the outer wall and thru the inner extension.Compress_20240211_104439_9122.jpg