Another Comanche build

Peat30

Scalebuilder from Germany .
Thanks ☺️ but your work is a kind of art 😍
You are welcome to the Superscale , it’s a great event with a lot of crazy guys like you 😂 maybe at me 😂

RSRC

Supporting Member
Quick half an update: The rest of the engine accessories.

I just wanted to post up a few pics of the rest of the engine accessory drive completed.

I went ahead and made my own water pump. I drilled the pattern and machined some of the bulk off, but a lot of it I just shaped with files. Reasonably pleased with it. If a lower radiator hose gets added eventually, I'll add the inlet bung for it.
20220827_081521 by James Ryan, on Flickr
20220827_175605 by James Ryan, on Flickr

After the pump was done, it was pretty simple to make the WP pulley, crank pulley, and harmonic balancer. Still resisting the urge to make a timing tab that no one will ever see.
20220828_185502 by James Ryan, on Flickr
20220828_185559 by James Ryan, on Flickr

Yesterday my engine belts came in and I swapped the button and cap head screws for scale bolts.
20220831_173514 by James Ryan, on Flickr
20220831_173654 by James Ryan, on Flickr

That's pretty much it for the front of the engine. There's always room for more details, but at this point I'm calling the accessory drive good. I have to remind myself the color pallet won't look so obnoxious once I get rid of that terrible Chevy orange on the block... That's it for now. Sorry about the weak content post. Just felt the need to finish out the last update. I'll try to get a lot done before the next update, it'll probably be a while as I'm not sure what to work on next.
20220831_174206 by James Ryan, on Flickr

One last thing. Quick shout out to Mrdetails' blazer build: https://www.scalebuildersguild.com/forum/threads/blazed-and-abused.31397/ and 1BadJeepBruiser's Toyota build: https://www.scalebuildersguild.com/forum/threads/t-t-t-t-too-rad-for-you.31626/

There are some amazing scale engines on this site, but it was these two build threads that made me want to push my own limits and build my own tiny truck. The amazing detail and care they put into those engine bays (and the rest of the builds)- I just had to try building one of my own.

Thanks for following along.

Last edited:

fab1ten

Supporting Member
Beautiful work, as usual. I bet it took some time to file that water pump to shape and get such a nice finish. Came out looking great.

The belts look very scale too. Where did you source them from?

RSRC

Supporting Member
That Small block looks more like a small block than the one in my mother's 90' Suburban!
Well, it is the smaller block...

Beautiful work, as usual. I bet it took some time to file that water pump to shape and get such a nice finish. Came out looking great.

The belts look very scale too. Where did you source them from?
Thank you. The belts are 1mm cassette player drive belts. You can get a bag of various sizes for under $10USD. I initially tried black rubber bands, but these are much more uniform in dimension, thinner, and seem stronger.

You guys with your metal working skills, honestly! Too rad.
You guys with your 3D printers, actually getting builds finished...
Thanks Matt.

TLC

Scaled, but not fishy.
That is one awesome, detailed small block mate! :biggthumpup:

Small block-adjusted 350px.jpg
That water pump takes the cake.:cool2::biggthumpup:

RSRC

Supporting Member
Update: One year in, still not finished.

Good day all. Today marks one year since I started this build thread and made my first post on the forum. Technically I started the build some time before my first post, but I’m not exactly sure when, so I’m calling today the one-year anniversary. I’m both pleased with my progress and embarrassed at how long this project has taken. Many far more impressive builds than mine have been both started and completed over the last year. I don’t know how you all do it. Apparently I work at a very slow rate or everyone else is just that good (Likely both). In either case, it’s a good thing this isn’t my day job. :yikes:

I don’t have a lot to show today, but for the sake of the one-year mark, I thought I should post an update. I’ve been jumping around working on detail bits and tying up loose ends in preparation for the tear down and painting. In my 1:1 world, paint is always the last step before final assembly, so I tend to lean that way on tiny trucks as well.

Before I tore myself away from working on the engine bay, I made one more piece. It’s supposed to be the control box for a Holley sniper FI kit. I have plans to make a complete scale wiring harness for everything and add some more under hood stuff when final assembly comes around but couldn’t resist making the harness plug for this box now.
20220920_175203 by James Ryan, on Flickr
20220920_175520 by James Ryan, on Flickr

I also finished out my fuel cell with a level sending unit and added the vent locations. One capped and one with a vent line along with some AN fittings.
20220910_123502 by James Ryan, on Flickr
20220910_123323 by James Ryan, on Flickr

I never came up with a better idea, so I milled out some shackle mounts to cover my bumper mounting screws.
20220911_114714 by James Ryan, on Flickr

Then I made up a skid plate to protect the underside of the fuel cell (and hide where the wires enter it). I attempted to make it look like stamped steel along with some non-functional recessed mounting bolts.
20220912_214031 by James Ryan, on Flickr
20220913_173731 by James Ryan, on Flickr
20220913_173604 by James Ryan, on Flickr

Then finally over the past weekend I did a battery mount. I found a seller making a true 1/8 scale, resin printed, optima style battery. I couldn’t be happier with this thing. Very minimal clean up needed, just minor sanding. Other than replacing the posts with my own steel versions, I just hit it with a little paint, and it was good to go. I’m glad I didn’t fuss around with making my own. The mount is 6061 aluminum, and the terminals are 360 brass.
20220918_205516 by James Ryan, on Flickr
20220918_205955 by James Ryan, on Flickr
20220918_210022 by James Ryan, on Flickr

There’s no room under the hood, so it’s tucked into the corner of the bed. I wasn't digging the screws, so I replaced them with bolts and tapped aluminum rods. (Should really have a cover over that positive terminal, safety first and all...)
20220921_183831 by James Ryan, on Flickr
20220921_183849 by James Ryan, on Flickr

That’s pretty much how she sits at the one-year mark. I’ve got a radiator hose to make, an overflow tank, and a few other items to take care of, and then I think it may actually be time for body work/paint. I’ve known for quite some time I wasn’t going to finish in under a year, but I’m confident that I’ll have it completed before 2023 gets here.

Thanks to everyone who’s followed along or liked a post. I know my updates tend to be long, rambling, picture heavy, and with minimal progress, but I really do appreciate all the kind words and encouragement I’ve received along the way.

Thanks for following along.
20220921_164801 by James Ryan, on Flickr

Last edited:

imthejaybird

I'm here...
Honestly, this is probably my favorite build to follow. A couple of reasons... First, all the machine work is amazing, and something I aspire to have the equipment for someday(little jealous, if I'm honest). Second, as detailed as the build is, the updates are just as good. Please keep doing what you're doing, I really enjoy following along. It's really a great build, and Happy Build-iversary !

3DME_RC

I’m loving the progress on this. I doubt mine will go any faster when I start. So my one question is there going to be more panels on the tray or are you going to closing it in?
Loving how this looks btw

Last edited:

RSRC

Supporting Member
Honestly, this is probably my favorite build to follow. A couple of reasons... First, all the machine work is amazing, and something I aspire to have the equipment for someday(little jealous, if I'm honest). Second, as detailed as the build is, the updates are just as good. Please keep doing what you're doing, I really enjoy following along. It's really a great build, and Happy Build-iversary !
Thanks Bud! Most of what I post isn't real informative, but I always hope it's entertaining. Speaking of posts, you've been here longer than I have. I know you must have a build in the works... When are we going to see a build thread from you? ::suspect

Your 'small' update blew my tiny mind.
Its been a great year, following along :beerchug:
Thanks mate! :beerchug:

Holy batman machinist job!
Just stunning work man!
Thank you! I don't 3D print and I'm a noob with styrene, so I tend to just fall back on what I know and machine everything. (When the only tool you own is a hammer...)

I’m loving the progress on this. I doubt mine will go any faster when I start. So my one question is there going to be more panels on the tray or are you going to closing it in?
Loving how this looks btw
Thanks! If your asking about the battery, then no, this is probably how it's going to be. I know in 1:1 it would probably be in a weather proof box of some sort, but I think I'll just leave it open. Those brass cable ends were kind of a pain to make, I hate to cover them up...

3DME_RC

Thanks! If your asking about the battery, then no, this is probably how it's going to be. I know in 1:1 it would probably be in a weather proof box of some sort, but I think I'll just leave it open. Those brass cable ends were kind of a pain to make, I hate to cover them up...
Sorry for the mistake. I actually love that the battery is open, really shows the skill you have. I meant the panels on the side of the tray itself, there’s only one on each side and I’m wondering if you are going to take the paneling all the way to the back.