6x6=36

SofaKing

So I've decided I'm tied of getting up to go flip my micro crawlers over whenever I roll them. My solution? A 1:25 heavy wrecker 6x6.

It all started with this scx24 c10.
eKh0WOY.jpg

I had previously swapped on an old D100 hardbody I had laying around before I stumbled upon an instructional video from Gus Custom Creations on YouTube on how to make an scx24 passthrough axle and decided to make my own.

Before:
M8HcRyg.jpg

OL7Ow7p.jpg

After:

All the parts I used to Frankenstein a third axle onto it. I cut the straight sections off of the spare frame rails and used them to sister some extensions onto the frame. The rest of it went together just like the stock rear axle/suspension assembly. These things really are like Legos.
XALjxtD.jpg

zw71fnv.jpg

oqaFI7n.jpg

7URszG2.jpg

There was a little wobble in the second rear output, but I managed to straighten it out later.

New wheels, tires, and the body to be...
UvFJLB8.jpg

I had to cut just over an inch of length out of the body to fit the wheelbase, and the flatbed seemed like the most logical place to do it. I also had to change out some of the rear 4-links to tighten up the spacing between the back axles.
iOBpbqG.jpg

Everything above the tape is getting removed up to the black line.
ttB91d3.jpg

Pre-chop
1p4EjQU.jpg

Post-chop
9ZB6RSi.jpg

W9TlXRy.jpg

Next I feng shuied the battery up to the front end so the bed can sit flush on the frame rails.
EifCTMb.jpg

Much more room for activities now
o1TLcDX.jpg

Bent up a piece of aluminum flat stock to make the rear cab mount. Swapped the front and rear stock crossmembers around to make a location for a front magnet mount. Glued in a piece of styrene just above the wheel arches to support the other magnet under the hood.
cZPTO3C.jpg

Cab: mounted
RbyhKt1.jpg

Used my highly advanced fabrication skills to make this bracket out of nothing but the finest scraps of aluminum.
13zu7ZA.jpg

Bed bolts to bracket, bracket bolts to frame.
VGTmrYk.jpg

Flatbed: mounted. I also trimmed out the section between the wheel arches to make one big arch. Now the wheels have clearance, Clarence.
zJJYgiL.jpg

E6soINe.jpg

z47prpP.jpg

jWax1Y5.jpg

And that's where it sits currently. I'm still brainstorming on how I wanna build the whole boom assembly. I've already decided I'm not using much (if anything) out of the model kit. I'd like this thing to at least be able to pull it's own body weight, and I don't trust the plastic not to snap under that load.
I'm thinking about picking up some stuff to start learning how to braze so I can make something proper sturdy. I've also heard of people modifying steering servos to make winches, so I picked up a spare emax servo to tryin figure that out with. If anyone has any experience or ideas they'd like to share on either of those topics I'd be happy to hear about them.

Anyways, that's all I got for now. Thanks for reading, enjoy some glory shots of the progress so far!
ZoPOM0L.jpg

Q208Yh7.jpg

p8hFRpt.jpg

J3HNyYi.jpg

Last edited:

imthatguy

Putting it in "H"
Ha! What a fun little project. Excellent progress. Am I missing something or is the cab still sitting a bit too high?

SofaKing

Ha! What a fun little project. Excellent progress. Am I missing something or is the cab still sitting a bit too high?
Thanks! Yeah I still need to modify the interior to drop the back of the cab a few mm and level it off. I also think once I add the battery boxes and fuel tanks under the doors it'll fill that dead space up and maybe look a little less awkward.

dagabba

Supporting Member
What a great idea!!

I love the fact there are decent small scale trucks now that can mesh with plastic models and create things like this!

Nice one!

JMo

V.I.P. Member
Surely the answer is 1.5 - since ultimately you also need to divide by 24...

erm.

Jenny

TLC

Scaled, but not fishy.
Mathematics isn't my strong suit either, but I'm seeing..... 6 x 6 (1:24) = :cool2:
Nice idea, looking forward to seeing more of this. :biggthumpup:

3guysauto

Great Build Up ! Makes Me Want To Get Into My Many MANY Old Model Kit's & Bash Something To Put A RC Together Now ! ! Can't Wait To See What Your Boom Assembly Looks Like Finished ! Great Work So Far !

SofaKing

Great Build Up ! Makes Me Want To Get Into My Many MANY Old Model Kit's & Bash Something To Put A RC Together Now ! ! Can't Wait To See What Your Boom Assembly Looks Like Finished ! Great Work So Far !
Thanks! I highly recommend you do so, it's a great way to add some scale realism and make your 1:24 stand out from the usual lexan body options.

This is very cool!

Wes
Thank you sir!

Okay, update time! This one's been sitting on the back-burner for quite some time now, but I've finally got some progress worth posting.
So to start, I addressed the cab leveling situation. I built up the floor above the magnets with a few layers of styrene, thick enough to drill in and countersink the magnets in the floor. Same up front as well. I also removed the springs all the way around so it's now just sitting on the stops.
2OHz7kF.jpg

48pAPmZ.jpg

3NYh1El.jpg

Now the astute of you may have noticed that isn't the stock 88T motor under there any more, and there's a bit of a story to that, so buckle up for a detour.

Enter: my spare parts build, a pile of mostly stock components leftover from previous builds and upgrades with a '66 Fleetside Chevy Pickup slapped on top.
Vja9amC.jpg

Well it consumed a stock motor a couple months ago, and the only replacement I had on hand at the time was a 66T unit from Hot Racing with a substantially longer can than the BowHouse LCG battery tray would allow clearance for, Clarence. So in the name of the proletariat I appropriated the surviving stock motor from the 6x6 to swap into the parts rig, and put the bigger motor in the bigger truck as logic would've dictated anyways.
PYTxVc8.jpg

The stock motor with no room for upgrades.
F62keoC.jpg

Small block
VIaaKmm.jpg

Big block
ekfhFSc.jpg

HRiFnLh.jpg

Okay both trucks reassembled, detour completed, back to actual progress. Time to finally crack into the boom assembly.
fG5Dghv.jpg

Eyeballing up some rough dimensions for the boom.

FOcII1x.jpg

This is what I eventually settled on.

9lgbKSI.jpg

Wanted to keep the fairlead (is that the appropriate term in this context? Idk) from hanging too far over the back axle and levering the truck up into a wheelie when it's under load. Also didn't want it poking up too high for the same reason. These dimensions seemed like a good compromise of all that while still maintaining the aesthetic I had in mind.

idDDnAV.jpg

Whipped up a baseplate from some scrap 1/16" plate. Had to make it directional because the dingus that drilled the holes to mount the flatbed to the frame neglected to line them up straight. Sometimes I really f'ing hate that guy...

XmYQwB9.jpg

Cut some uprights out of a piece of 1/8" rod stock, found a washer to use as a fairlead (seriously, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

K3r34eA.jpg

Mocked together with some magnets.

JaxNV4i.jpg

Been taking night classes lately to learn how to weld, so I brought the pieces into class one evening and had my instructor help me pull the magnets off one joint at a time and hold it in place while he zapped it together with the TIG machine.

86Vuae2.jpg

Sfq4tEX.jpg

The final result, or at least for now. I'm planning on taking it back in and adding a bit more structure to it, maybe some cross bracing, and a place to permanently mount this guy:
0kE3E68.jpg

After ruining 3 stock servos and 2 emaxs trying to make a DIY micro winch, I finally gave up and spent money instead.

nUHrIHB.jpg

gMG3HrI.jpg

I ended up cutting a slot in the bed to temporarily mount the winch down with a cotter pin for testing and tinkering purposes. The slot will get filled in (giggity) along with the rest of the body work it's gonna need before paint. Long term plan is to either integrate the mount into the baseplate to make it strong, or stick it up against the wall and try to hide it under pieces from the model kit to make it scale. Still undecided on that one.
1ZB20rd.jpg

shtmapM.jpg

3jZd4ap.jpg

Now with functioning functionality!

And lastly, I made this little bracket to test fit some side tanks. This is another stopgap solution for eyeballing purposes while I decide how I want to mount them permanently. I'm considering magnet mounting them so they'll break away if they get hung up on something instead of just breaking.
PI8t6Gq.jpg

aiakCi1.jpg

I2ku8tX.jpg

OjehZ3U.jpg

YhOpKni.jpg

And that about brings us up to speed on where this one sits currently. I'll be sure to post more updates as progress is made. Hopefully it won't take as long as this one did. Anyways, as always, thanks for reading!

Last edited:

3DME_RC

This is coming along nicely. Really liking the fuel tanks under the cab it definitely fills in that dead space well. I’m looking to do something similar with a kenworth model for my c10