1950's Retro Gas Station

UNGLEWD

Supporting Member
Such a cool thread, I had to read through again.
The Rally style starting area is great.
I always have wondered what thos mini saws were like, must be a game changer when dealing with all those popsicle sticks. How's th eblade holding up? It would be neat to make a little vacuum box to surround it, maybe plug a shopvac into it to keep the dust down.

Fourth Protocol

Such a cool thread, I had to read through again.
The Rally style starting area is great.
I always have wondered what thos mini saws were like, must be a game changer when dealing with all those popsicle sticks. How's th eblade holding up? It would be neat to make a little vacuum box to surround it, maybe plug a shopvac into it to keep the dust down.

Thank you! Did more work on that start gate too - TV cameras and spotlights. Still needs signage, road markings and barriers. When I get some decent (dry!!) weather I'll post up some photos.

The saw is ace. I bought some pine strips and because I didn't know the German word for what I was looking for bought strips with a rounded edge on one side. It's soooo easy to just trim the 2 meter long pieces by 4mm using that saw. Already paid for itself.

And speaking of vacuum box. They have that covered. It comes with a rubber hose adapter -

Proxxon_Vaccum_Adapter_01.jpg

It just hooks right up to my vacuum cleaner.

Proxxon_Vaccum_Adapter_02.jpg

Not using it though, because I'm collecting the sawdust for a beach idea with some Tamiya surfboards. And I spoke of trimming those slats earlier - you can see the offcuts in the pic above. Sooo easy!

Anyways back to business. The centre trestle is complete. First a comparison with the original trestle from a year ago:

Parcours_Angles_28.jpg

And there the assembled result:

Parcours_Angles_29.jpg

Parcours_Angles_30.jpg

Final step is to redo the two smaller trestles. Those will wait because the ESC for the Citro?n H arrived so it's back to building trucks for a bit.

Test Tech

Hi Fourth Protocol,
How about more info on how you built the gas pumps, they look wonderful and I'd like to build a set.

Fourth Protocol

Hi Fourth Protocol,
How about more info on how you built the gas pumps, they look wonderful and I'd like to build a set.

Yeah sure.

Before you start have a look on the 'Bay. They have some ace pumps that dispense whiskey and stuff that look better than mine, with a close-enough scale. I chose to make my own because I needed it to fit with my scale garage, and I needed a consistent look/feel with the air pump and oil stand (which I've yet to make).

Of course 3D print is a good alternative too, 'specially it you've the aptitude.

My pumps are loosely 1:10 scale. Here's two photos that put scale into context - the first is the most realistic 1:10 scale truck I have - no monster-truck tyres, no body lift, no suspension lift. This thing is as close to stock 4x4 as I can make it. The second is the JK, which has over-sized tires.

Gas_Pump_Scale_01.jpg

Gas_Pump_Scale_02.jpg

Work out ratios to scale it up or down as you see fit.

Texaco-1950s-Petrol-Pumps-Island.jpg

Anyways, construction:

Retro_Gas_Pump_Cabinet_01.jpg

Measurements -

Gas Pump 1 of 3 - Cabinet Plans.png

Gas Pump 2 of 3 - Cabinet Assembly.png

Those red sticks in there are 2x2 mm strips I ran along all of the joins on the inside of the cabinet. This is because I rounded down the outside of the cabinet with a file. Here's a photo looking into the bottom of the cabinet -

Cabinet_Inside_01.jpg

Finally that round thing on the top.

Gas Pump 3 of 3 - Top Assembly.png

This is just 2 x 2 mm thick disks with a 40 mm ⌀, with a strip that wraps around them to make a phat disk to put on top of the cabinet. Photo of the assembled thing below (let me know if the drawing's confusing) -

Cabinet_Top_01.jpg

I put that square hole in the bottom (and the top of the cabinet) because I want to put an LED in there to light it up.

Next post will cover the dials/display.

Fourth Protocol

The display uses old-school tumblers to display 0 to 9, and has three lines -

● This sale (current dollar-value pumped)
● Gallons (amount of fuel pumped)
● Price per gallon (this multiplied by Gallons = current dollar-value pumped)

At first I toyed with the idea of hacking up one of those tamiya gearbox learning kits to make the tumblers slowly turn when the filler nozzle is liften from the cradle. Would be simple enough with a default-off reed switch, but maybe overkill for something that's mostly just going to gather dust in a corner.

I did however want to give it that tumbler-digits feel. And so I took some 16 mm ⌀ electric conduit piping and cut two 5 mm sections from it. I cut those sections in half to make four half-circles, and stuck them onto a piece of styrene. Did the same for the next two lines of digits, but using 10 mm ⌀ styrene tube. I used a ⅓ rather than half for the middle row, and kind of hung it off the top row to maintain the vertical spacing.

Retro_Gas_Pump_Display_01.jpg

I used 5mm (top row) and 3mm (lower 2 rows) styrene lettering I got from Slater's Plastikard to stick some numbers onto the tumblers. Then I used another piece of styrene to cut out the holes you see the current values on the tumbers through, and used 2mm styrene letters for the display labels (This sale; Gallons; Price per gallon).

Retro_Gas_Pump_Display_02.jpg

When that was done I painted both parts up.

Retro_Gas_Pump_Display_03.jpg

Finally I added a frame, some lexan, and another frame painted mat black to look like window rubber, and glued it all into a thing.

Retro_Gas_Pump_Display_04.jpg

I sanded the paint off the edges because that's where the glue goes to attach it to the cabinet. And that's the display done!

Fourth Protocol

Finally the fuel nozzle, or whatever you call that thing you stick in your pertrol tank.

The measurements are a guide more than anything else because styrene tube is difficult to source in metric. I actually used a mix - where the image says 5mm ⌀ mine is closer to 4.8 mm.

Gas Pump 4 of 4 - Nozzle Assembly.png

Retro_Gas_pump_Nozzle_01.jpg

Retro_Gas_pump_Nozzle_02.jpg

Only thing not in the drawings are the hose, the nozzle receptacle thingy, and the hole in the side of the cabinet for the nozzle. I used black 12AWG silicone-coated wire for the hose, and removed the wire. It's ~ 4 mm ⌀. The rest should be self-evident.

What I should be doing next is weathering them, and lighting them up with LEDs.

Here's a link to some fun with the pumps ::2thumbs

Test Tech

Hi Fourth Protocol,
Thank you very much for the complete tutoral!!
I'd like to make a set for myself, as long as the wife doesn't catch me working on them instead of "important stuff".

Fourth Protocol

This is amazing! So helpful for the rest of us too!

Hi Fourth Protocol,
Thank you very much for the complete tutoral!!
I'd like to make a set for myself, as long as the wife doesn't catch me working on them instead of "important stuff".

You're both welcome :biggthumpup:

Doing the Pinzgauer's lights (lying just behind Jack Osbourne) kindof reminded me of another thing I've been wanting to build forever - outside broadcast cameras for the start gate. It's loosely based on a Sony HDC-2000 and a Miller pedestal.

Live_Production_Camera_01.jpg

Live_Production_Camera_02.jpg

Obviously still missing the camera. Needs at least another day to finish construction and then probably one more for paint.

Messy desk :eek:

ShopGTR

Cruisin'
Applause all around. That was the most fantastic response to a question I've ever read online.

I will read it again, and again, then one more time and try and absorb some of that knowledge.

Cheers you to, Sir.

Fourth Protocol

Applause all around. That was the most fantastic response to a question I've ever read online.

I will read it again, and again, then one more time and try and absorb some of that knowledge.

Cheers you to, Sir.

Thank you. I have issues with people keeping stuff to themselves.

Got the live production cameras done.

Live_Production_Camera_03.jpg

Live_Production_Camera_04.jpg

Live_Production_Camera_05.jpg

Next up is paint. Once the weather plays ball...

ShopGTR

Cruisin'
Cameras are really cool.

And weather can't seem to figure itself out on this side of the world. 30F and snow today, 70F tomorrow.?

Smarch.png

Fourth Protocol

Cameras are really cool.

And weather can't seem to figure itself out on this side of the world. 30F and snow today, 70F tomorrow.?

Thanks ;) And yeah, weather's going crazy. Had snow on the ground this morning and now it's 12?C!

Got the cameras painted up.

Live_Production_Camera_06.jpg

Live_Production_Camera_07.jpg

They're part of a herd of accessories I've got in mind for the start gate.

Fourth Protocol

I know nothing about cameras but I think those look like cameras. Nice work!

As a token of my gratitude I will build myself a Toyota. One no one has ever attempted before.

Building trestles. Because it's time to finish the breakover ramp (might take it to SuperScale next month). I decided to call it a breakover ramp because I don't know what else to call it.

Breakover_Ramp_Testle_01.jpg

I have some ideas to make the whole thing look more awesomer. One of them is towers on either side of the trestles with banners...

Breakover_Ramp_Testle_02.jpg

...or maybe I should just clean up the room first :yikes:

Moosejaw14

V.I.P. Member
This thread is very inspirational. Awesome creation. My friend who is a camera man by trade totally geeked out on this.

Fourth Protocol

This thread is very inspirational. Awesome creation. My friend who is a camera man by trade totally geeked out on this.

Thank you ::2thumbs Happy to provide geek-out materialz ;)

Version 2/make-over of the break-over ramp is technically finished. I say technically because I'm still finishing off two more towers to replace the left trestle, and making a thing for a banner across the towers. Also working on impact attenuators (crash barriers) for cartwheeling Traxx..., I mean runaways.

Breakover_Ramp_01.jpg

Need to get it outside and run some trucks over it ::D:

Fourth Protocol

Not sure where to put boat builds, so chose here. I've wanted to build a raft for ages. Because quick to do, and fun to play with.

There's a metric ton of inspiration for rafts if you look for it. The Camel ad captures the mood well. But the raft isn't quite what I had in mind.

Raft_Inspiration_01.jpg

I like this one too, but still want to finish the landing craft so building more boats makes no sense.

Raft_Inspiration_02.jpg

There's this one of a Discovery straddling two inflatables. I was going to go with this because the round inflatable shape is easy to pull off with pool noodles. However...

Raft_Inspiration_03.jpg

...this is closer to what I had in mind. A makeshift raft cobbled together out of necessity. Maybe improved on a little later because it was useful.

Raft_Inspiration_04.jpg

And so mine started like this:

Rc_Raft_01.jpg

Rc_Raft_02.jpg

Tried it out in the stream behind my house.

Rc_Raft_03.jpg

Really stable. Floats well and with 5 noodles the raft floats on the water rather than in it, even with a ~3kg Series 1 on it.

Rc_Raft_04.jpg

Added some decking...

Rc_Raft_05.jpg

Rub rails or side fenders would look weird on a raft so tires.

Rc_Raft_06.jpg

Construction done, pretty much. Proof that I've worked my way through 8 China JKs (the tires are the Goodyear Wrangler spare wheels).

Rc_Raft_07.jpg

Started playing with configurations. My first test in the stream used 5 noodles in parallel. Here's a setup with six in two pontoons, which I used for load testing.

Rc_Raft_08.jpg

Rc_Raft_09.jpg

That's an 8kg kettlebell (about 17 lb). The 6 noodles handled that with ease. Sinking point is at around 12kg (about 26 lb). The kettlebell started putting ivisble strain onto the wood, but a 12kg truck splits the load equally onto each pontoon so should still work. Barely.

Rc_Raft_10.jpg

The 3 x 2 setup isn't nearly as stable in the water as 5 noodles next to each other, even if you perfectly centre the truck on the raft. Oh and using the tub because the stream isn't deep enough for the 2 x 3 pontoons.

Rc_Raft_11.jpg

Anyway that's it. A raft. Should probably work out how to secure trucks to it to avoid any inadvertent dunkings. Not going to weather it, but going to leave it outside. I suspect nature will do a better job than I can.