1:64 Bronco Diorama

JonFoster

Did someone say "Bronco?"
With the Christmas Holiday looming ever so close, I set out to create a gift for a close friend of mine. We had become friends through Bronco ownership quite a few years back. I wanted to make her a gift that combines two of her favorite things: Her Bronco and her Horse. In the past, I have done some 3D prints for each in some way (Google 3D printed lithophane for example) or another. I decided to build a static diorama with those fancy 1:64 scale 5th Generation Broncos that GreenLight Collectibles has been releasing recently as well as some 3D printering stuff. I'll be brushing up on my rather lackluster landscape skills from past model railroading dioramas and layouts with this, too. Follow along as the journey progresses!

A rough sketch of my idea with basic notes. Apologies for the it so light, apparently my scribbles don't photograph well.

OC3k3YQ.jpg

The diorama will be encased in this baseball display case sourced from Hobby Lobby. In hindsight, I should have gotten something slightly larger in order to add some vegetation and such, but I didn't want this to be a huge display.

YdbVVch.jpg

The stand-in example (I had already disassembled and stripped the donor model prior to photos). These little trucks are amazingly detailed and are pretty accurate to a degree.

871lNvc.jpg

And done.... I kid, I kid.

fajRZHi.jpg

More in a few, gotta organize my photos for the class presentation.

Kear

Bleb
Bad and naughty trucks get put in THE CUBE. But I've been meaning to make a diorama for one of my model tanks. Look forward to seeing the choices of debris er- foliage used.

JonFoster

Firstly, here's a shot of the 1:1 for inspiration next to mine. It's been hard trying to find the blue in the right hue for her Bronco, the one I have is pretty dark.

WEDx004.jpg

Here's some 3D printered goodies. The skull and horse were files sourced from the interwebz.

au49qOu.jpg

Here's the model blown apart. It's from three trucks. The body and grille/headlights was a CHP truck with a lightbar on top (holes are filled), but no rear spare (hers is mounted internally); another red and white Motorcraft Bronco donated its base with the silver wheels (not chrome) which also has the side steps taken off as well as the tow hitch and it's front/rear bumpers, and the interior was from a two tone blue and white Bronco with the spare on the rear. I can't remember which one the top came from.

Ye1AE3x.jpg

Primed in white to hopefully make the blue more vibrant.

cbwHvv4.jpg

The chosen color. The can warmed in hot water makes the paint thinner and easier to apply in layers.

Ip6vf4u.jpg

And painted.

tMhZWo2.jpg

Reassembly started.

Wndm4Hc.jpg

Being an XL trim, the floor of her truck is rubber. So this one gets a "rubber" floor, too.

pVBfEVZ.jpg

8sddT7i.jpg

With its lid on.

kpsCSpp.jpg

fpVXaiA.jpg

The body and chassis married, happily ever after.

8I5NU9M.jpg

HQGXUQs.jpg

JVM3R2Q.jpg

Up next is the diorama base. It'll be a quick and dirty one, fairly simple with a few details.

Frizzen

Sharp looking start! Your friends gonna love it!!!

For a second i was hoping this was a micro rc car, and an offroad layout to drive it on

JonFoster

Sharp looking start! Your friends gonna love it!!!

For a second i was hoping this was a micro rc car, and an offroad layout to drive it on
She did! I gave it to her last week and she was over the moon.

That is still on the books ;) I have the files from the Mini Me Bronco build I've got going that I have scaled down to put on a micro-micro (close to 1:64) that I've been working on. My issue is that these super teeny RCs aren't full suspension and such. I think I'm just too picky.

JonFoster

Sorry for the delay over the weekend, apparently my festivities started Thursday so this is the first chance I've had to sit at a computer.

On to the base. Cut out some foam from a random sheet I had (probably some packaging from remodeling this past spring).

4oIfsW3.jpg

A quick mock up of the Bronco and the horse.

SMkSarH.jpg

Added markings for the two track and the fence posts.

nKnS59J.jpg

This old Dept. 56 foam cutter is the bomb. Used it to cut in the ruts.

5J2Jjh7.jpg

c3oja6Q.jpg

LlnyZPr.jpg

You can barely see it, but I took a coarse sanding block to the field part to slope it slightly for variation.

HY3vEob.jpg

Then covered the slab in Sculptamold, smoothing it a bit before it dried.

48ZEgqT.jpg

Slathered some brown on for a dirt undercoat.

GNGHAxS.jpg

After the "dirt" dried, I planted the fields. Some scenic cement and fine blended turf did the trick.

Mku6XFY.jpg

Up next, more fine details!

JonFoster

Some detail bits, AKA more 3D printering.

I found some mirrors for a TRX4 78/79 Bronco online that I scaled down to 1:64ish and resin printed. Ford used this style mirror well into the '90s.

PdX0oRi.jpg

XB0Lqvs.jpg

Lest we forget the Aero-style mirrors, I printed some for future projects as well. These were sourced from the Mini Me Bronco files.

sF73hGG.jpg

Painted with a Molotow pen.

WIdkjef.jpg

And installed. A dab of CA on each leg holds them up.

Qznapgx.jpg

I got the deer skull glued on as well.

v6KHMQZ.jpg

Up next was the horse. Painted her brown and used an airbrush with some black to finely mist the tail, mane, and her nose.

B16iXGj.jpg

Both horses. ...wait, wrong horse!

GWNqcJQ.jpg

There we go, both horses.

hJiOngv.jpg

JonFoster

Back to the base.

The fence posts are toothpicks which are just about the right diameter for fencing. They were given a wash of alcohol and india ink, then stained. Here's some experimenting of the stains.

fDfRkqY.jpg

The posts installed. I must have not taken photos of the graveling for the two track. It's fine model railroad ballast some fine sand/grout mixed in and sealed in place with scenic cement. The fence wire is 28ga. jewelry beading wire. That's CA'd to the posts, and some yellow paint dabbed on to simulate the electric fence insulators. I also added some foliage around the posts for further detail.

AbkS5Ik.jpg

The horse was glued in place with some Tacky Glue. Now it's starting to look more like a field!

rXpBppX.jpg

And in the words of Boylei Hobby, "then I painted the base with Black 3.0." It looks so much better with the black on the edges, I was on the fence (HAH) about it but I think it helps pull the eye in and keeps the brown edges from being a distraction.

FpMwQlr.jpg

After gluing the Bronco down, it was finished!

BCzC5wv.jpg

8Kz5la3.jpg

G5FvZeg.jpg

lUGfGgt.jpg

418DSH4.jpg

vNFQfHE.jpg

WeNDc88.jpg

As stated above, I gifted the diorama to her last week and she absolutely loved it! I think I will be making more dioramas in the future as this was pretty fun.

JonFoster

HA! That's amazing. Really nice job with the resin printed parts! They're so tiny.
Thanks! They're super tiny parts. Pretty much had to make sure I didn't have any caffeine or sugar 12 hours before I picked up the tweezers.