sbg  

RPP UMG
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuber supplies

-beaker Guest

Default Tuber supplies

Im in need of im assuming some stainless steel flat bar. I bought a stick of just regular steel flatbar at rona and the silver soldier wont stick to it. I think all they had there was some galvanized stuff and aluminum. Where are you guys buying your metal from for skid plates link mounts ect. Also i bought my brake line from lordco and it was like 12$ for 10 Ft, you guys getting it somewhere cheaper?
    thanka you -eric

canadianlimitededition Guest

make sure your metal is super clean

freakos Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canadianlimitededition View Post
    make sure your metal is super clean
    x2

everytime i had trouble with solder not sticking was because my metal wasnt clean. Also make sure the metal is nice and hot, sometimes pre-solder each part then assemble with some heat.

Renslipevol Guest

Make sure you use flux. It helps keep oxides from forming on the steel while its being heated, even if you have flux coated wire. And like everyone says, get it clean. If the brazing alloy is not melting on contact its not hot enough, if it melts but doesn't stick, it's too hot.

I get my brake line from Partsource, I prefer it from there or canadian tire because its not coated with that green epoxy.

-beaker Guest

I cleaned it and used flux, But i found some galvanized stuff that when cleaned brazes up just fine

be careful of the fume galvanized gives off, apparently its deadly. at least when welding.
    IF IT DOESNT MELT ITS NOT FAST ENOUGH!!:D

Rabbit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBIRD View Post
    be careful of the fume galvanized gives off, apparently its deadly. at least when welding.
    Welding and cutting! use a mask, also what are you using for heat? mapp gas or a torch would be best.

jethro Guest

Galvinzing is a zinc coating, if you get zinc to hot it smokes ans it's not deadly but a lot of exposure to it will give you narcosis or zinc fever, feels like a 24 hour flu. Brazing rod has zinc in it too and if you smell melting plastic you are inhaling zinc fumes,
    A regular dust mask won't keep he fumes out only a 3M P100 cartridge on a 3M respirator which is pretty cheap way of saving your respiratory system. Charcoal cartriges filter out fumes and they are cheaper than the p100 but the cartriges will dry out and not be any good after 3 weeks and the p100 will last months, if your brazing use mapp gas or oxy/acetelyene setup, propane takes longer to heat the metal

SlowKrawl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBIRD View Post
    I wouldn't go out of my way to inhale the fumes while brazing, however for the average person doing a little bit of tube work it will never be an issue. Trust me, inhaled LOTS of zinc fumes in my days as a welder due to ignorance, but have not been sick yet.

ecoli Guest

Quote Originally Posted by -beaker View Post
    Im in need of im assuming some stainless steel flat bar. I bought a stick of just regular steel flatbar at rona and the silver soldier wont stick to it. I think all they had there was some galvanized stuff and aluminum. Where are you guys buying your metal from for skid plates link mounts ect. Also i bought my brake line from lordco and it was like 12$ for 10 Ft, you guys getting it somewhere cheaper?
    thanka you -eric
    I get my brakeline for Partsource as well. I've had issues with the brakeline from Napa in the past not brazing together, despite careful cleaning, flux, etc. For other steel, I get it from HD or other hardware stores, but often pick up a lot from Metals Supermarket (no minimum order and lots to choose from).

As others have said, you need to make sure to have a clean surface for brazing. You'll need to clean the joint off well, apply a small amount of flux, and then heat and apply the brazing solder. Heating time varies with the metal thickness (brazing small diameter tubing to thicker solid stock requires a bit differential application of the heat to make sure you don't heat one too much or too little).

Apply the brazing solder when you see the flux go from the opaque white to clear. It should just flow into the joints.

Also, a good sanding of the joints will remove the zinc galvanization. I've brazed a lot and I think I may have gotten metal fume fever once (my fault), so always be safe. Welders are probably in more of a riskier situation because of the higher heat. I've talked to a few who have breathed in a few too many fumes, again usually because they did something dumb. However, we're all still around, and relatively normal

Do be careful in any case. Building a frame involves lots of power tools, fire, and potentially toxic substances. Regular safety precautions should be taken (safety glasses, dust masks, leather gloves, fire extinguishing material, ventilation).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast