sbg  

AE Element 2
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Winch building tutorial

ecoli Guest

Default Winch building tutorial

I took on the satisfying task of build a winch this evening and thought I'd share it in a tutorial for others. It's really quite simple to do, this was the first one I've ever done, and it turned out perfectly.

What you'll need:

• Servo (preferably metal geared, plastic ones will strip out quickly. I'm not sure what brand I used, I think Towerpro, but the label was gone).
    • Small screwdrivers
    • Needle nose pliers
    • 3 channel radio with three position switch (I used my DX3r)
    • Drill and bits
    • Dremel and cutoff wheel
    • File

You may not actually need the last three items depending on the servo you use. I did!

The goal of using a standard servo for a winch is to remove the typical 90 or 180 degree rotational limit on a stock servo and instead have it rotate forever. With the three position switch, center is stopped, and then you flip/move the switch one way for clockwise rotation, the other way for counterclockwise rotation (hence why you need a 3 way switch).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	1099

First, flip the servo over and remove the four screws holding the case together.

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	1100

Remove the top of the case. For this tutorial, you only need to worry about the output gear (left most), and center gear (center, obviously!)

Name:	3.JPG 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	1101

If you can, pull out the top most center gear. In my case, the bearing on the output gear was in the way, so I first used pliers to remove the center gear pin, then removed the top most center gear. Set the center gear aside, you're done with it for now.

Name:	4.JPG 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	1102

Remove the output gear. In my case, it needed a little prying to get off, but not too much stress (it is a plastic case afterall!). Now note on the larger gear there is a small pin sticking up that hits the case to prevent overrotation on a standard servo.

Name:	5.JPG 
Views:	407 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	1103

Either using pliers or a Dremel cutoff wheel, remove the pin on the output gear. If you use a cutoff wheel, use a flat file to file any remaining pin still sticking out flush with the brass gear.

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	410 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	1104

Now flip over your output gear. On the underside you'll notice there's a plastic insert with either a - or + in it which sits on the pot adjuster. The pot adjuster is what finds center on the servo and isn't needed for a winch.

Name:	7.JPG 
Views:	407 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	1105

Using a drill, drill out the plastic inserts so that the pot adjuster spins freely in the output gear. Some servos have bushings or bearings that will easily come out and the plastic insert can just be removed. In this case, the servo I had came with a pressed in bearing necessitating the drilling step.

Name:	8.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	1106

If the center pin is still out, put it back in now, but don't put back the center gear you removed. Plug the servo in your auxillary slot in a receiver, set your selected switch to three position (in the case of the DX3r, there are numerous options), and power up your servo. At this point, you'll likely notice that the gears start spinning. You'll need to grab the pot adjuster (circled) and rotate it either left or right until it's centered (gears no longer spin). It's quite finicky, but you'll eventually find center!

Now, very carefully replace the center and output gears. I say carefully as you don't want to bump the pot adjuster and need to recenter it again. I did this with everything plugged in.

Name:	9.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	1107

Replace the cover and casing screws. Test out your winch with your switch. Use your trim adjust if the servo happens to drift. I'll let you figure out what you want to use for a winch drum, there's lots of options out there. I haven't decided myself just yet!

There you go, build yourself a winch servo in probably less time than it took you to read this!

Oh, finally!
    Someone answered....thanks so much for this!

ecoli Guest

Wow, that was a fast reply :D! I've been wanting to do this for a while, but always figured it was too daunting of a task, plus didn't have a servo I was willing to sacrifice. Really easy though!

Tired Guest

Thanks Chris, nice job!

Vertigo Guest

Very nice tutorial Ecoli. Thumbs up. I just did the same mod to a hitec hs-645mg servo that I needed to replace the gears in. As with your mod I removed the plastic cog that drives the locator pot and grind off the travel limiting pin. Once I go the motor to stop running with adjusting the centering pot, I placed a couple drops of thick CA glue on the pot to hold its position.

F350 Tonka Guest

You Rock Dude been waitin on this one for a while.

ecoli Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Very nice tutorial Ecoli. Thumbs up. I just did the same mod to a hitec hs-645mg servo that I needed to replace the gears in. As with your mod I removed the plastic cog that drives the locator pot and grind off the travel limiting pin. Once I go the motor to stop running with adjusting the centering pot, I placed a couple drops of thick CA glue on the pot to hold its position.
    Good tip! Fix that bugger permanently in place if it gives you grief There's really no need for the locator pot once it's been centered.

Nice tutorial!

Please post a pic of the spool/drum that you end up with and maybe an action shot!

ecoli Guest

Will do Al. Scoop88 is hooking me up with some Futaba servo horns (are the round ones still called horns? Anyways....) so I'll need to wait for those and then build up the drum. After that, I'll post up video of it in action.

Tired Guest

How much winch torque do you need to pull your rig up a tree or out of a mudhole or something? Is a well-used 645 plenty for this?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast