sbg  

RPP Associated
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: paint problems

Bullit67 Guest

Cool thanks for the help guys I took a look at it last night once it had cured a bit and the paint is very transparent I did shake it up well and the can did rattle but I am thinking It might be a bad can of paint. This is what I get for useing rattle cans I should of used my air brush but I thought hey this will save me some time. I also used to do paint prep work many many years ago I worked at a few different auto body shops befor I realized it wasn't for me. The color that is giving me a problem is a pearl white Vonclod if you could ask your buddy that would be great. I am hoping it will cure enough today I can sand it back down to the primer. The other thing I was woundering was maybe after wet sanding it the primer held some moisture I did let it sit for an hour and a bit but some primer is very porous. I had the garage good and warm with a couple of ceramic heaters I didn't check the temp but it felt warmer then the house when I went out there so I dont think the air temp was the problem

vonclod Guest

i chatted with my bud and he says you definatly should use a laquer friendly primer..but is surprised that it wouldnt even stick, laquers are a pita at times..but beatiful results when it all comes together..he says the only place you can still get laquers are the hobby industry as canada has banned thier use in the auto industry.. also to note that laquers are a very thin paint and will require alot of light coats and they do chemically bond with the base..he says believe it or not but they used to spray the laquers while the primer was still cureing ..thats with automotive laquer which he says have much more aggressive thinners in them than the rattle cans..not sure if this helps alot ,im not sure where you would want to go from here
    Last edited by vonclod; 10-18-2008 at 12:03 PM.

vonclod Guest

hmm..the paint stuck ok to the body? but just real thin? if it was a pearl white laquer over grey primer you might just need alot of coats..post up a pic ..my bud is probably poping over tonight and i can show him

Bullit67 Guest

I will take some pics in a bit just picked up a couple of new corals for my reef tank so I am elbow deep in salt water for a bit.

Bullit67 Guest

OK I got some pics it is a hard color to take a pic of.

2. you can see how the paint all ran to the edge of the hood keep in mind this was a thin coat of paint

3. This is worst of it the side of the box again a very thin coat of paint it looks like it is silver paint because you can still see the primer behind it

vonclod Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bullit67 View Post
    I will take some pics in a bit just picked up a couple of new corals for my reef tank so I am elbow deep in salt water for a bit.
    nice..i have a 120 gall system, lots of living rock, only 1 fish at the moment, and lots of mushrooms and critters that come out of the rock at feed time

Bullit67 Guest

Cool mine is a 265gallon display with a 75 gallon sump soon to be a 125 gallon sump I am working on a sump room in the basement under the display. If your ever out this way stop in at Aquatic Addictions it is on Mt. Lehmen rd just off the freeway (it is the old Hidden reef store) New owners Good people

GMC572 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bullit67 View Post
    3. This is worst of it the side of the box again a very thin coat of paint it looks like it is silver paint because you can still see the primer behind it
    the thing to remember is if you want a white pearl you have to spray a white base color first then the pearl or you'll end up with what you have there and spray very light coats
    Eddy

Bullit67 Guest

I thought about spraying a base coat first. This is a very thin coat actually it is two thin coats once the first one cured enough to respray I wanted to see if it would cover better and not run on the second coat.

vonclod Guest

i think at this point you might want to strip off the paint and do over..brake fluid works well it sux but if you want this to be a primo job it probably your best bet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast