sbg  

Pro-Line
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: paint problems

Bullit67 Guest

Default paint problems

Ok here is one for the paint guys I am painting a high lift body with testors one coat lacqure the body was primed with testors primer and then wet sanded it.The primer is well cured I used my compressor and blew off any water then let it sit for an hour or so befor shooting the color but when I sprayed the first very thin color coat it is running off like water off a duck. Man is it making a mess, I dont get it I have never had this problem befor any ideas? What would cause this? I am going to have to let it cure real good and sand it all off

vonclod Guest

it might sound like a dumb question but was the primer meant for laquer..self etching primer.laquers do some really funny stuff sometimes and by funny i mean NOT funny

Bullit67 Guest

The primer was a testors primer that I sprayed a long time ago at least a couple of months I just went and dug the can out and guess what it is a enamel primer I am thinking this could be the problem plus I wet sanded it to a super smooth surface

you mean you polished it to a smooth surface
    been there done that what grit did you use

Bullit67 Guest

800 and 1500 along the edges so I wouldnt sand through

Was the compressor tank spitting out a light film of oil & moisture...you running filters?

Bullit67 Guest

no no oil or water from the compressor if that was the case i would of got fish eyes in the paint from the oil

the only time i use grite that high is befor polishing
    im no paint expert but i think 400 would be the highest i ever went

just had flash back when you rotate the spray can can you hear the marble all around the can
    i had paint settle i shook 2 min but didnt break up the paint alls i got was thinner with a little color kiga went like water on oil ????

Bullit67 Guest

The primer was quit ruff light orange peel so I wanted to sand it off I am going for a show car shine with this truck it wont be a runner as it will have the MFU in it

vonclod Guest

i could be wrong but i think its the primer..i dont think the surface finish is the problem, the smoother you get things from the get go, the less work you have rubbing out the final coat..my dad used to run a custom paint shop for bikes and i used to do alot of the prep work..that was 25 yrs ago i mean you dont want your primer polished glassy smooth but you definatly want to get it smooth and clean..i,m pretty sure laquers bond with the primer chemicaly..i have a good bud who,s an auto painter, i,ll ask him tommorow
    :
    Last edited by vonclod; 10-17-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast