sbg  

AE Element

Thread: Scale question

Default Scale question

Hi. I'm totally new to all this. I actually got into this because of the pics I saw of Smiggin's . My question is what scale do you make your buildings? Is it 1:10 like my truck? I found a scale calculator on google and it seems like my stuff is coming out huge. Any help you guys could lend me would sure be appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X505F using Tapatalk

Very few trucks are actually 10th scale. Most are closer to 9th, like the SCX10III Wrangler for example.

Most of the buildings in Smiggin's Folly are 9th scale if I recall correctly. Not sure why you'd need a calculator on Google, all you do is divide by the scale you want to work in. Say a building is 90 inches tall in real life. Divide by 9 to find it's height at 9th scale in inches. Spoiler alert, it's 10 inches tall.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Thanks for the help

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X505F using Tapatalk

Yes, like imthatguy said, defiantly go 9th scale, or you'll kick yourself later. I think they do tend to get big, that's why most scale courses have small buildings like one room cabins and the like. I know Smiggins has a great outhouse...
    smallfact0ry on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    Yes, like imthatguy said, defiantly go 9th scale, or you'll kick yourself later. I think they do tend to get big, that's why most scale courses have small buildings like one room cabins and the like. I know Smiggins has a great outhouse...
    It's great until you've used the main floor.

So most builds are at 9th scale? I’ve been making stuff (little accessories) for my deadbolt and was using 1:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubmobile View Post
    So most builds are at 9th scale? I’ve been making stuff (little accessories) for my deadbolt and was using 1:10.
    Most builds that are based off the Tamiya Hilux, Axial Wrangler, among others. Most of the Traxxas trucks are 9th scale too. Measure the wheelbase, body dimensions, etc. to discover what the true scale is.

Thanks!

This might help.

Wes
    Last edited by imthatguy; 02-06-2021 at 09:25 PM.

I have a Deadbolt and I put it on top of a 66 Bronco in Photoshop. All the features align perfectly. Then I got the actual length of the Bronco body and divided it by the length of the Deadbolt body. It's an almost perfect 1:9 scale rig.

Another thing you should look at when scaling things is the real proportions of the wheels and tires. Our eyes... and brains... can distinguish really small differences in measurement. That's the reason why you will notice if someone has gained weight, lost weight, had a recent haircut, a shave, etc. when it comes to scale, wheels and tires are the first giveaways that you are looking at an RC. They're just off... The real nice builds that revolve around the 1/9 scale look so real because, (specially if they're Jeeps, Tacomas, or modified 4x4s) the most popular tires and wheels used are 17-inch wheels with either 35, 38, 40, or 42-inch tires. The 1.9-inch RC beadlock is a close match to the dimensions of a 17-inch wheel in 1/9 scale. Add scale tires in 3.85-in, 4.19-in, 4.5-in, and 4.75-in, you get the perfect scale equivalent of 35, 38, 40, or 42-in tires on 17-inch beadlocks.

Furthermore, the SCX 10 axle width gives you a sidewall to sidewall measurement which is equivalent to a widened Dynatrac axle.

Another example is the RC4WD Defenders. The Defender 110 is called a 110 because off its 110-inch wheelbase. The RC4WD 13-inch wheelbase = 1/8.46 in scale. the 1.9-inch beadlock multiplied by 8.46 (the scale) = 16 inches. Which is the rim size of Land Rovers.

That's another reason why the Defender 110 scale RC looks so real when detailed and accessorized the right way.