sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peterbilt 6x6 Heavy-ish Hauler

My 4:1 RC4WD gear reduction showed up so I got it hooked up with the Lesu trans and the HH 80t motor. I was pleased to see how short the overall length of the GRU is, but was surprised to see so few gears inside. My biggest concern right now is if the gearing in the GRU and the trans hold up.

The front mounting hole on the frame rail was re-used, but the rear hole has to be drilled/tapped. Note that I'll lose the upper step mount, but I don't really care. It's not like it's gotta support the weight of a scale 350 lb. truck driver! :D

I had mentioned earlier that I'd like a bit of a gap between the rear tires so I made up a little styrene spacer to sandwich between the rear wheels. It's about 1.5mm thick. It's ugly, but is only for prototype purposes.

Here you can see the gap created by the spacer on the far wheel set. The near wheel set is stock Lesu wheels.

Ages ago I modified a set of front wheels to get them to tuck in farther. That was on the Lesu wheels I originally tried. These fronts are made by Hercules Hobby and they have quite a bit more backspacing so they tuck in better. However, I still have to run a 6mm hex for them. If I run a 4mm hex you can see the hub bottoms out against the knuckles. Also note I put some aluminum TLT knuckles on.

The issue with a 4mm hex on these wheels.

So I drop a pair of thick washers inside...

Then out comes the Dremel! I rest the cutter flush to the washers and slowly cut through the hub. Be careful here. It's super easy to get hurt if you don't take the right precautions!

And the deed is done.

Now I have great clearance even with thin 4mm hexes!

Now the fronts tuck in really nicely. They're not fully tucked, of course, but this is the look I was after.

The other side still running 6mm hexes.

The tucker in stance looks much nicer! Good job. And the wheels gap too is a nice improvement. That is one thing that sometimes bugs me with duallies, having the tires contact or almost contact. Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
    The tucker in stance looks much nicer! Good job. And the wheels gap too is a nice improvement. That is one thing that sometimes bugs me with duallies, having the tires contact or almost contact. Looks great!
    Thanks very much! :)

I decided the front axle needs to move forward a bit to get better centered within the fender. So I drilled a couple new holes in the leaf springs.

However, this moved the axle too far forward. So then I moved the hanger back and up just a bit. This would bring the wheelbase back a smidge, but also give me a bit more caster. By the way, you can see how poorly my paint is adhering to the self-etching primer. I recently picked up some touch-up paint and I'll definitely be needing it when I go to reassemble.

And here's my plan to put a little space between the duallies. First, I thread in some longer 12mm screws through the hub. I also added a dab of grease on the hub to hopefully prevent the wheels from bonding to the paint that seems to want to come off far too easily sometimes!

Install the inner wheel and then add nuts to the wheel studs. In this case, the nuts are 1.5 or 2 mm in thickness.

Now with the outer wheel installed I have a reasonable amount of space between the tires. It's not excessive like a brodozer but it's just about what I was hoping for so I'm pleased.

Got a nice delivery of Lesu goodies today, but the only pic I have so far is the micro servo mount for the transmission. I drilled/tapped a bunch of holes on the chassis today for the other stuff that came in and all of it should get paint tomorrow.

Anyway, here's the servo installed. With the servo arm cut down just a bit it clears the bottom of the sleeper cab. I just had to clearance part of the crossmember for the shifter link.

A few progress pics after some paint work.

Lesu rear suspension and some other aluminum goodies. I also should've installed the rear center caps. D'oh! :)

Scale hardware for the win!

Looking good.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by WildTrailFab View Post
    Looking good.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
    Beautiful!!
    Thank you!

So we got a bit of snow on Sunday here in Austin, Texas. That's not a common occurrence for us so I figured I'd take the opportunity to take a few pics and see how it drives in some icy conditions. Well, it did great!

Then last night we got some real snow. Like....."are we even in Texas" kinda snow! Depending where you measured, we easily got 4-7 inches, which is crazy for us. Well, of course I had to test out the truck in deeper stuff today. Overall, it did really great and had plenty of traction. The limitation, as one would expect, is the low hanging front bumper and the overall low right height. Nonetheless, I was pleased!

I also got some Lesu steps for the frame, but only have one installed at the moment.

I knew I'd want custom plates for this truck and rather than spend money on some custom ones, I decided to try my hand at making some. Being 1/14th scale, they're only about 1" long so it won't be obvious if they're not perfect. And it costs me nothing to try so why not? I went online and copied a few JPGs of license plates I'd want. I printed them and then trimmed them out. Here's a super close-up of what my mediocre printer could do:

Then I adhered them to some .015" styrene with some glue.

Then I trimmed them out with some clear tape applied over them to protect the ink.

The thin overall thickness feels pretty realistic and from a short distance I think they'll look just fine.

Another thing I've been thinking about lately is the front bumper. I haven't found an aluminum one that I like so for now I'm going to use the stocker. I cut off the two "buck teeth" from under it to help the approach angle.

I like weight in my scale RCs. They perform more realistically that way. In fact, I'm rather disappointed the Pete is only weighing in at about 9 lbs so far. So I decided to add some weight in the form of touring car weights glued into the front bumper. I Dremeled out some room inside the bumper, glued the weights in, and will paint them silver so they're less obvious. Those 80 grams really gave the bumper some heft!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast