sbg  

RPP Associated
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: My Axial SCX10 III Build

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    788

    Default My Axial SCX10 III Build

    Hey all! Some of you may have noticed I won the SCX10 III in the 2020 SBG Giveaway!! I was so excited when I read my name in the Giveaway thread, it sure did enlighten the holiday. My other scale crawlers are pieced together from scrap and leftovers or salvaged from a much worn chassis. This will be very different!

    I received it a few days ago, I thought I'd make a thread for it in the general builds section, it has quite a bit of details out of the box so for now I plan to build it stock, except maybe different wheels since I find the stock ones quite big.


    It was packaged in that nice deer wrapping paper! I found it a nice attention So I set up with everything required for the assembly, got some new hex bits, MIP ones in 1.5, 2.5 and 3mm, they feel great! First set of quality hex bits I got.

    I don't have an actual power screwdriver for it so I used this dewalt driver, I was just very careful not to let it actually do the final tightening (did it by hand).





    Axles and shocks done, now moving on to the tranny. Lots of parts! It was very satisfying to build though. Lately, what I've been building (the Escort mostly) was always tedious, design, cut, mock up, won't fit, modify, drill, screw, undo and adjust, etc. Now this thing just bolts on. That's kind of a relief lol






    The tranny is made of many separate parts, pinion and spur, 1st and 2nd gearsets and dig option.




    This is first and second gearsets:






    Fred

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    788

    Default

    So I did not take pictures of all the process, here is the mostly completed chassis, just missing the inner fenders and fake engine cover. I used Falken tires I had laying around, glued to plastic steelies. Wrong bolt pattern, but I really like how these tires look, so I'm going for a stock Jeep look on winter tires :) As stock as can be a Jeep on portals, that is!





    Now with the inner fenders, engine cover and battery tray installed.




    And a quick mock up of the fenders on the body, because I could'nt wait to see how the tires look with the body :) I have to say, I love how it looks! Not sure how big it scales up, I think the body is 1:9.4 so if the tires are 4.25" that would be 40"? I think I'm wrong they don't really look like 40". More like 37 maybe?








    Kitchen counter flex shot :)





    Fred

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Now for the body, I decided on Tamiya PS-12 silver so all the nice molded body details would pop out nicely. I hesitated to keep the roof body color or paint in black so I looked up some reference pics:





    This pic made me think I would regret not painting the roof black, to me something seems way off:





    So after backing the silver paint, and painting the interior, I had just enough black left to do the roof (painted from the outside). It is too shiny, but I'm ok with it. I don't have any clear to go on that, so I will have to do for now.





    And with all the body details and stickers installed, just missing painting the driver:




    For the lights I put and LED kit and put a piece of aluminum sticky tape on the tip of the LED to block the very direct light that looks like a dot. Worked pretty good!



    And that tire fitment, I like!





    Quick run in Quebec snow:










    It was a blast to drive in the snow! I could go wherever my sons left footsteps in the fairly deep snow and only rarely got stuck. I'll have to find a better motor though, I used what I have (stock tamiya silver can) and it overheats even though it is -5 outside. I definitely need a higher turns motor!


    Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed the pics!

    Fred

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Congrats! The final look of this looks really nice! The silver fits well with the black wheels and I love the scale tire choice

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    It no longer exists.
    Posts
    12,012

    Default

    Whee!

    Looks like a solid choice on both wheels, tires, and paint. Nicely done, and quick!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OverlandRC View Post
    Congrats! The final look of this looks really nice! The silver fits well with the black wheels and I love the scale tire choice
    Thanks OverlandRC!

    Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Whee!

    Looks like a solid choice on both wheels, tires, and paint. Nicely done, and quick!
    Thanks Matt! I was in fact quicker than the Escort build, I'm almost sure. I said it already, but that's pretty refreshing having everything go together smoothly. Went for a snow run last two days after work, put the remains of a head mount light on it. I guess I'll convert that into a scale light bar, wrapping it in a sintra box.

    On a side note, I do have some transmission slight clicking noise, that does not bother me much. But when I run it off the ground and turn the wheels full lock, it seems like it is periodically binding somehow inside the diff, likely between pinion and ring gear. I noticed immediately when I started assembling the diff that it wants to run smoothly in one direction only (rotate the pinion to make the axle rotate, not the other way around, similar to a worm gear would do). I figured it was because of the pinion being offset towards the top. Did you notice any of that on yours? I might have to open up the front axle if that does not disappear after some more break in time. It also does quite a racket noise when I push it backwards by hand.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    It no longer exists.
    Posts
    12,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
    Thanks OverlandRC!



    Thanks Matt! I was in fact quicker than the Escort build, I'm almost sure. I said it already, but that's pretty refreshing having everything go together smoothly. Went for a snow run last two days after work, put the remains of a head mount light on it. I guess I'll convert that into a scale light bar, wrapping it in a sintra box.

    On a side note, I do have some transmission slight clicking noise, that does not bother me much. But when I run it off the ground and turn the wheels full lock, it seems like it is periodically binding somehow inside the diff, likely between pinion and ring gear. I noticed immediately when I started assembling the diff that it wants to run smoothly in one direction only (rotate the pinion to make the axle rotate, not the other way around, similar to a worm gear would do). I figured it was because of the pinion being offset towards the top. Did you notice any of that on yours? I might have to open up the front axle if that does not disappear after some more break in time. It also does quite a racket noise when I push it backwards by hand.
    That is a side-effect of the high-pinion style of axle. The binding you're feeling is pretty normal with the style of universal at full lock off the ground. Nothing to worry about. One note on transmission construction. The gears are not the same cut on both sides. One side has a rounder area for the pins to seat in. If any of them are reversed, it can introduce some clicking. Not a failure point, just a weird design.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    Very pretty!

    Great job, very clean build!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    That is a side-effect of the high-pinion style of axle. The binding you're feeling is pretty normal with the style of universal at full lock off the ground. Nothing to worry about. One note on transmission construction. The gears are not the same cut on both sides. One side has a rounder area for the pins to seat in. If any of them are reversed, it can introduce some clicking. Not a failure point, just a weird design.
    Thank you, appreciate the input, I won't worry about that then. I saw your warnings about the gears cavity being rounded on one side and more square bottom on the other, but I stared at each gear for a good while looking at both sides, and both sides had the rounded pin slot?? It would be surprising that they changed the casting in the meantime? Maybe I just missed what was different, but in the videos and pictures I saw it was pretty clear the bottom was flat on one side, it was just not like that on mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    Very pretty!

    Great job, very clean build!
    Thanks dagabba!! Feels like I just bought a new jeep from the dealer lol Very different from my other scrappy builds!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Since I work during the day, and it's dark at like 4:30PM or something, I repurposed a frontal light (it had a broken battery hinge anyway) into a light bar. For a battery, I used a 3 cell pack from a battery powered corkscrew bottle opener The headlamp was 3 AAA cells so it matched perfectly.

    The board has a small button to switch between half intensity, full intensity or strobe. Of course I am mostly excited about the strobe feature. I'm sorry I did not take pics of the LED unit itself, but it was just an aluminum plate with a long LED (many elements put in a line of clear a rubbery stuff).





    The two wires are exiting from one end. So I sandwiched sintra layers front and back, with a rectangular hole in front, layer in the back and shaped the sides. I wanted to have the top slightly covering the top so I would not get glare when driving (try to keep the light only at the bottom). On one side I cut a recess so the wires have some room, and also carved the side end cap so the wire has some room to exit at the bottom back. And at the bottom glued two thin rectangular magnets, so I just have to glue two more inside the body to hold the light, but still removable.











    It is pretty efficient!! In the video, it was just the LED unit without the whole sintra housing so it was still pretty glaring. It is better now (just don't have a vid of the final unit)






Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •