sbg  

LockedUp RC

Thread: Mek substitute?

Default Mek substitute?

Hey everyone. I’m just starting a hard body build and I keep hearing people talk about mek substitute. Can someone explain what it is? It sounds like you use mek and styrene to make a goop to bond and fill in styrene and hard body parts. If this is the case can you use acetone instead of mek?
    Thanks everyone.
    I did try doing a search but didn’t find anything before I started this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk View Post
    Hey everyone. I’m just starting a hard body build and I keep hearing people talk about mek substitute. Can someone explain what it is? It sounds like you use mek and styrene to make a goop to bond and fill in styrene and hard body parts. If this is the case can you use acetone instead of mek?
    Thanks everyone.
    I did try doing a search but didn’t find anything before I started this.
    I used MEK for a build mixing plastic shavings into a goop as you called it and it made for great strength bonds, but MEK can be hazardous to work with because the vapors are very strong and harmful if inhaled, hence the substitute for it. I've worked with MEK Substitute and found it not quite up to the task. I've worked with acetone and found that to be easier to work with and I also made a goop with it, but it tended to be lumpy and so now I just use acetone or in some cases CA glue.

If you do find some MEK wear a respirator mask and have plenty of ventilation. The MEK substitute also requires a well ventilated space, but isn't as harmful.

Personally, I'd still work with MEK if I could get it but it is hard to come by at the local home improvement places. Good luck in your build.

I just realized pvc primer has mek in it. I just added a layer of styrene to my hard body and it welded the styrene to it and is not coming off. Amazing. I work with pvc glue almost daily and not sure why I never thought of this.
    Thanks

Acetone will also work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or you can buy Styrene glue by the name, Bondene, Plastruct, Same Stuff, etc. It's all basically the same stuff.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk View Post
    I just realized pvc primer has mek in it. I just added a layer of styrene to my hard body and it welded the styrene to it and is not coming off. Amazing. I work with pvc glue almost daily and not sure why I never thought of this.
    Thanks
    And that little cotton swapper brush in the cap makes it easy to apply to large sections while layering. I keep a small bottle at my bench and refill with MEK substitute.
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps