sbg  

RPP UMG
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barbie Honey, I wrecked your Corvette!

A Tale of Three Tails

Once upon a time there was a guy who was building a mash up of several of his favorite cars using a Barbie Supervette as the skeleton and he couldn't make his mind up about the tail of the car, particularly the spoiler so he tried different things and will try some more until one treatment strikes his fancy. Here's where I was originally going and this one is still in contention.

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

Then I tried something more conventional.

IMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

A whale tail type was suggested. Here is version 1.

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3574.JPG

Then another version of that type.

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

The whale tail is adjustable as in active aero in conception, but I don't intend to make it adjustable by any sort of electronics. Just by hand. I am also experimenting with kicking it out back farther and the fin pieces will likely be reduced in height by at least 1/8 inch.

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG

Looking at the first picture of this, and where it is now... just a testament to your skill and willingness to take time and experiment.
    smallfact0ry on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

Such a cool build. Personally I really like the twin flaps.

Nice fabrication again! I personally also like the twin flaps rear best, but I'm sure whichever you keep will be the right one to keep :)

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    Looking at the first picture of this, and where it is now... just a testament to your skill and willingness to take time and experiment.
    Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    Such a cool build. Personally I really like the twin flaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
    Nice fabrication again! I personally also like the twin flaps rear best, but I'm sure whichever you keep will be the right one to keep :)
    Thanks guys. By twin flaps do you mean the first one or the 3rd one with the twin fins and whale tail? I’m working with the whale tail to make the fins sit a little lower. Right now it’s between that one when aluminum rounded wing or the original split spoiler. We will see in a few weeks. I’ll be refocusing my energies toward preparing for the semester start in two weeks.

First for me. Totally personal preference though.

This is so cool! Great build ideas for me.... morphing the styrene on the old hardbody. Great work!

It's pretty darn incredible where it started, and where it is now. Amazing!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Also fan of the twin flaps/split ducktail, but the whale tail in its upright position, i.e. high angle of attack, is very appealing to my eye as well.

Thanks folks. I'm trudging on ahead now starting to build up the canopy with plastic replacing the poster board templates. I did more work on the wing and think I have it where I like it and can move on. I shaped it a bit more and lowered and evened out the fins.

Attachment 37916

I had some pieces laying around - leftover rocker panels from my Jag project and leftover drywall corners from some home improvement work.

IMG_3619.JPG

The perforated drywall corners were cut to become grills. It's PVC plastic and cuts and bends easy. In the front it will be black along with the center brace.

IMG_3617.JPG

I also used it on a rear vent where the exhaust will come out. I fashioned some tail lights too just as a trial.

IMG_3618.JPG

Then I took the rocker panel pieces and fashioned the buttress for the back part of the roof line. These are still not finished and will require some shaping still. I reshaped the vent intakes and then added some of the drywall perforated pieces as a sort of grill for the intake. Still some sorting to do.

IMG_3616.JPG

Here's a 3/4 view of the whole thing. Some progress but lots to go.

IMG_3614.JPG

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast