sbg  

RC4WD

Thread: Styrene vs ABS

Default Styrene vs ABS

Hi! Never tried my hands on building with styrene before. As I?m searching for materials I found Greenstuffworlds plasticard which is labeled as ABS. Is ABS a viable alternative to styrene if I want to try to build some louvers for my lexan Volvo body? It?s so much cheaper. Can?t seem to find much info on this.

Default Styrene vs ABS

Polystyrene has similar properties as ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) but sometimes it?s hard to get them to work together with our regular solvents. Something to do with the molecules of the styrene in the form of ABS. I?m not a scientist though. It will work perfectly fine though for your build.
    Last edited by pardonmyn00b; 11-15-2020 at 05:12 AM.
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps

Great. Thanks! Would you recommend buying "proper" styrene (Evergreen or such) if I would build a bigger project in the future? Or should I stock up on the cheaper ABS when I'm already at it? As long as I'm not mixing the two it would be fine?

Quote Originally Posted by bajslowski View Post
    Great. Thanks! Would you recommend buying "proper" styrene (Evergreen or such) if I would build a bigger project in the future? Or should I stock up on the cheaper ABS when I'm already at it? As long as I'm not mixing the two it would be fine?
    I'd recommend going for the polystyrene. If you can find a plastic supplier near you, large sheets of high impact polystyrene can be had for incredibly low prices.
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps

Default Styrene vs ABS

Styrene sheets should be cheaper than abs in the same thickness.

I build with ABS. Glue it with acetone and slurry. Its a long wait in between pieces as you wait for the acetone to ?dry?. Its tough when its done.

This is what I?m still currently busy with:

Samil 20 4x4 utility Truck
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    I'd recommend going for the polystyrene. If you can find a plastic supplier near you, large sheets of high impact polystyrene can be had for incredibly low prices.
    Thanks for your help. I'll keep this in mind for future projects. For now I've ordered a cheap variety pack of ABS to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by HugoBiermann View Post
    Styrene sheets should be cheaper than abs in the same thickness.

I build with ABS. Glue it with acetone and slurry. Its a long wait in between pieces as you wait for the acetone to ?dry?. Its tough when its done.

This is what I?m still currently busy with:

Samil 20 4x4 utility Truck
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Thank you! This is exactly what I've been looking for. Good looking build. How bad is the acetone to work with? I'm assuming you'd want to work in a well ventilated area as with most other solvents?

Keep it ventilated and don?t rush it.

Default Styrene vs ABS

If you check eBay, you can get descent prices on Styrene. I don?t have a plastics supplier in my town, so I need to order it. I typically get 24? x 48? sheets. It?s about $25 shipped for .060? thick. Soooooo much cheaper than the Styrene at the hobby shops. Plus you can get bigger pieces.

Wes