sbg  

RPP Associated
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1983 Land Rover Series III Camel Trophy

Quite a conundrum mate Your chassis rails look perfectly scaled so far BTW

As early Land Rovers are spring under axle, like you said, matching that design would result in virtually no suspension up travel...........
    So just like the 1:1.......

You could cheat and build the chassis rails to be scale-ish in appearance but make them with a high clearance front and rear to work with the leaf set up you want and spring over axle.
    Just a thought.... What would I know, I only build things with coil springs.....

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    Quite a conundrum mate Your chassis rails look perfectly scaled so far BTW

As early Land Rovers are spring under axle, like you said, matching that design would result in virtually no suspension up travel...........
    So just like the 1:1.......

You could cheat and build the chassis rails to be scale-ish in appearance but make them with a high clearance front and rear to work with the leaf set up you want and spring over axle.
    Just a thought.... What would I know, I only build things with coil springs.....
    Conundrum indeed. Made some try-out rails from styrene and getting somewhere.

The two tabs between both axles is where the dampers go. Another one to resolve is the front leaf hangers go halfway beneath the chassis, meaning I install them wrong-way 'round (like in the photo) or cut away from the chassis, moving even further away from a realistic looking chassis.
    JS Scale team driver

It's working at the front. Rear should be easier. Of course now it looks nothing like it should. I might do a facade for the aluminium and hide the ugly bits with black paint.

The new axle housings arrived today too, so I can give the FJ28 it's axles back
    JS Scale team driver

Nice work! Difficult to choose between form and function but I guess there are always compromises that have to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    Nice work! Difficult to choose between form and function but I guess there are always compromises that have to be made.
    Thanks and yeah, hard call. Or not, as is the case here. Can't do form without sacrificing function altogether Nailed it now though, I think. Need to cut out another, assemble, and then I can start on the fun part (the body).

The bottom one is a scale replica. The top one is what I need if I want this thing to actually drive.

The brown things are some of many 409 cutting discs that died making this chassis
    JS Scale team driver

Cut out the second frame rail bla bla and bla this post is less about the building and more about the zen. Specifically Bart Wasa's awesome video of the JS Scale Experience.

That clown that toppled the D90 at 4:50 isn't me. Looks like me. It's uncanny. But I'd NEVER do that to a D90 Jerome lent me. Anyway the next one is scheduled for June 11. That's the deadline for the Series III.

The vehicles in 1995 Mundo Maya (Guatemala and Mexico) were Discovery 300tdi's. Support vehicles were Defender 110 300tdi's. The 2021 Mundo Maya in France will of course be won by a South African in a Series III.

JS Scale team driver

go all scale. it doesnt need to drive!

just push it with your feet gently. nobody will notice

Portuguese plates!

cool idea , can't wait see your progress

Can?t wait to see what you come up with for the chassis.

Wes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12