sbg  

GCM Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cockshutt 70 Tractor (1935-48) 1/16 scale

Default Cockshutt 70 Tractor (1935-48) 1/16 scale

Let's do a completely different type of work rig.

Since my Ford 7710 project is still only at the 'ruined toy' stage of needing front end parts that i'm poorly equipped to fabricate. I figured i should restart with an easier tractor, and come back to it later. I needed a Narrow Front or something that already had articulating steering, so i stumbled across these at a used stuff store.

Without knowing anything about either of them, the one on your Left looked like a great basis to start with. Soft rubbery tires, enclosed hood instead of engine detail, Narrow Front wheels, says cock, little wing steps above rear axle, pretty cool looking lines.

Plan right now: pair of 200 rpm 12v gearmotors, a mg90s servo, 10a esc, 2ch radio, some 2/3A nimh cells. Punch couple holes for switches, charge port, and antenna 'exhaust pipe'.

I'm only planning to use it to pull stuff with the drawbar. I don't think it's worth setting up a 3-pt hitch, or trying to make the mid-mount cultivator things.

It's not an Ertl, but it is 1/16 scale diecast metal just like their tractors. I've been doing some research on it, and the Cockshutt 70 is a Row-crop tractor built from 1935-48. Seems like they were built by Oliver, and sold in Canada. Hart Parr 70 / Oliver 70 / Cockshutt 70.

This one only had 2 rivets securing body halves.

Chop off axle tubes, make gearmotor holes, glue motors under the wings, backfill some glue from inside chassis. I could have narrowed the rear track closer to stock, but thought it'd play in well with the endless debate about Tricycle vs Wide tractor stability. They were scared and put wideners on it.

Chop down the front axle steering tab, glue a vertical tube to steering, make an ugly linkage.

--
    This machine may have been made by 'Spec Cast' and apparently lost its rear fenders somewhere along the way. I dunno.

I also ran across a place that sells toy tractor & equipment parts in 1/16 scale.
    http://www.dakotahtoyparts.com
    I'm seeing some stuff there that would help my 7710, the Barber-Greene loader, and all kinds of stuff that would look great on pallets for my forklift.

My first steering setup using (end of the tube) Jb Weld didn't hold, but CA seems to be working. Probably going to beef it up with some CA & baking powder paste. Steer servo is bonded to chassis side with e6000.

The 12v 200rpm motors wired Parallel and running on 7.2v really winds out faster than i'd like for a tractor without ROPS, so i may try them in Series. (it does drive pretty well with everything ziptied to outside.)

Uh, apparently i can't read and i bought "2/3AA nimh" cells instead of the "2/3A nimh" cells i'd searched for.
    And my soldering iron died. So thats always fun.

Yeah, so when i mentioned it was little too quick i had frankenstein-ed it together for the test run.

But it worked.

So i punched the rest of holes in the bottom for a Charge/Run switch, a female JST charge port, and ESC switch.

I'm going to be keeping almost everything mounted over in the Left side of tractor because the front wheel locating bosses were on that side. This way to open it: roll to left, pull the 2 screws (that were originally rivets), lift right half up, undo 2 connectors and the halves seperate.

Ordering the wrong cells probably was a good thing, i was able to build up a 5 cell pack that fits in the other half of hood without much trimming. It's only like 650 mAh instead of 1500mAh i wanted, but not like i'm racing.

Mounted a pilot light to the dash, it just plugs into an RX open channel.

Very cool!!

Let's see some crazy tractor video please, does it pull a wheelie?

Thanκ you Dagabba!
    I know its a bit different than the usual sbg builds. So far no wheelies, probably would need to add more volts and an adjustable hitch for that. This ones aiming more at the 'restored farmers-toy' than 'sled pulling monster'

Since 6 cells of nimh was quick, i dropped it to 5. I let the smoke out of 2 cells trying to build a pack. (Tfe-2x heatshrink has a higher temp rating than the cell wrappers, and wire insulation i built with.) Then i just tape wrapped it instead.

Charge plugs, extra switches, and connectors so the chassis can split aren't very exciting.

I think we're realistically about 95% done now.

Which seems like it brings it down to
    Drill & mount an exhaust stack for the antenna. A bent tip or tractor flap would be the normal way to top that off, so maybe stick a can on top.

Paint the axle tubes, change seat color. Cream grille and lower stripe. Maybe some *very light* weathering?

Figure out who wants to be the operator, make them a seatbelt.

Buy & make awesome impliments!!!

Nice looking little build.

It's so cute!

Thanks guys.

Who wants to ride my Cocksh

Heh, that was quick.

Since a Disk Harrow is the only implement i've got, so far. Why don't you go take it over to the field.

What way do you guys think would look best to top the stack: Open, a Can upside down, or tractor Flap?

I knew it needed an exhaust to hide my Antenna up out of the body. Then it really ought to have a hand-throttle, well if it's got that it might as well have a shifter, then i need to drill the front wheel lug holes and chrome lug nuts...

Wait, where did the Farmall 1256 and Barge wagon come from?
    But I DON'T even have another lot.
    Oh no, looks like i'm on my way to becoming a Farm Collector...

Ok, how's this looking now?

Backstory i'm aiming for this machine has been used through it's first life, restored into a show tractor, and gets out for some plow days and other light use.

I'm going to try to learn how to turn Some bad videos into A bad video. Also probably just a couple more details when i feel like it.

so cool...seemed challenging stuff all that stuff inside...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast