sbg  

AE Element 2
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: LS Mail Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    What a great piece to finish!

Always nice to hear of people in the community supporting each other too!
    Thanks, I was stressing that this would not work. Was pleasantly surprised at how good of definition came out. This is a awesome community, people always bend over backwards to help each other.

Quote Originally Posted by rshackleford View Post
    This thing is so money. Can we petition to move this to Guild's Finest?!
    Thanks, thats very kind!

OMG......LOVE the louver's!!!! What an awesome addition to an already stellar build!!! Killed it Wes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wesmade View Post
    I used a new process for me on this build. The last piece of this puzzle is an aluminum louvers plate attached to the center bump of the hood.

I thought of several different methods for accomplishing this, but decided on doing stamped aluminum. The idea was seen on Harley Designs YouTube channel. Basically you make a positive and negative mold and press soft aluminum between them. Josh at Harley Designs was kind enough to help me with some of the design struggles.

I am new to Fusion 360 and do not own a 3D printed. However, I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone tells me to buy one. Anyway, I used several new to me design techniques picked up by scouring YouTube. I especially like Lars Christianson for his educational videos.

My friends at Adam and Aiden Pocono Scale offered to print the molds for me. After a few back and forth between Adam and Josh, I finally got the mold to a good spot. If I was to start over again, I would do so much different but I was too far down the road on this one.

Instead of buying expensive soft aluminum from McMaster Carr, I used aluminum flashing from the hardware store. It was $1.70 so we?ll within the budget. The aluminum was cut to rough shape and placed in the mold. I first squeezed it in the vise and then smacked it with a dead blow hammer several times. The end result is amazing. Not as crisp as it could have been, but more amazing than I could have dreamed.

Wes
    This is epic! I need a 3d printer!

Quote Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
    OMG......LOVE the louver's!!!! What an awesome addition to an already stellar build!!! Killed it Wes!!!
    Thanks, I already have a plan to use this on my next build. A 1947 Dodge Power Wagon Crew Cab.

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by J55TTC View Post
    This is epic! I need a 3d printer!
    Perfect, another person I can have print my stuff. :)

Wes

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789