sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mad Dog 2

Default Mad Dog 2

Here's a truck that I have been building since 2016. Some of you may have seen it on RCMT but I thought to share it here too since it is completed... Or nearly finished... Well not exactly finished but I'm tired of looking at it on the floor, so I thought it's about time to get this running. Today I got it running and now it'll go to the storage shelf.

Here's a show off video and a running video.

Here's a bunch of pics from various stages of the build.

Some specs
    -4 wheel wire steering
    -dual Tamiya torque tuned motors
    -RC4WD R3 transmission internals and custom 3d-printed case
    -RC4WD Triton transfer case internals and a custom 3d-printed case
    -Tamiya bruiser chassis rails, straightened
    -Custom 3d-printed axles with Axial internals, XR10 shafts
    -Tamiya Mammoth dump truck leaf springs
    -12 Chinese shocks without inner springs
    -Styrene dummy V8
    -Custom stickers

Feel free to ask detail shots or anything.

Wow. What a really nice, scale retro monster truck build! Love the scale axles and driveline. Looks like your steering system works pretty well also.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

Wow, what a solid looking monster truck. Love the classic look and great engineering.

Cool rig.

That is amazing. Top notch monster truck right there...

I am really into the dual-motor transmission. The axles are really something... are they 3d printed as well?
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

ShopGTR

Cool rig.
    Thank you!

luxarsKetch

Wow, what a solid looking monster truck. Love the classic look and great engineering.
    Thanks! I wanted to do an old school monster truck and RC4WD had just released the Blazer body.

RexRacer19

Wow. What a really nice, scale retro monster truck build! Love the scale axles and driveline. Looks like your steering system works pretty well also.
    Thanks!
    Steering works but I'd need to make proper wire holders.
    At first it was just a traditionanl steering.

Then it evolved into this monstrosity. Heavy bicycle cables.

Then close to last version but still with the heavy tubing and wire.

The final version is made of very flexible miniature stainless steel rope, not anything like from a regular hardware store. Guide sleeves are made of this slinky like thing and covered with heat shrink.

https://ghw-modellbau.de/product_inf...oducts_id=5297
    https://ghw-modellbau.de/product_inf...oducts_id=5313

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    That is amazing. Top notch monster truck right there...

I am really into the dual-motor transmission. The axles are really something... are they 3d printed as well?
    Thanks!
    Yes, the axles are 3d-printed. I first printed couple test pieces with a FDM printer before I ordered SLS printed axles from Shapeways. And as you can see from the previous pics, there's steel tubes that go over the axle arms. In the final form of the axles, the tubes aren't really needed because the steering system changed. But I didn't want to spend more time and money to redesigning and ordering new ones.

And the dual motor is just for the fun and looks. Not a sensible choice in this day of brushless power. Old school all the way.

I remember this from RCMT - I have most pictures of the steering setup saved somewhere as I'm going to bluntly copy the idea for a Clod I'm doing.

Much gladness and appreciation that you posted it in here!. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Flerbizky View Post
    I remember this from RCMT - I have most pictures of the steering setup saved somewhere as I'm going to bluntly copy the idea for a Clod I'm doing.

Much gladness and appreciation that you posted it in here!. Thank you.
    Thanks! Feel free to copy it. My system is too a copy actually. It's a simpler version of the Capo Jk Max steering. But if you need any additional photos or info about it, let me know and I'll help you out.

Just WOW......

Now that's proper old school monster truck!! It looks awesome with the triple shocks and all. I love how the axles looks, you did great work. And it looks nice to have the steering servo out of the way (not visible on the axle).

In case you are still in a search for smaller cable, I did a cable steering once, and used a very small diameter cable from Sullivan, I searched in my order history and found it, it is called: Sullivan S522 Push Cable .032 & Golden Clevis 30'

here is a link I found, in my case I got it on eBay few years ago but it seems like it still exists:

https://www.gravesrc.com/sullivan-st...032-30-ft.html

You can see how small it is in this vid, the car has Tamiya mini wheels so it is small, and you can somewhat figure the size compared to the stock 540 motor. In my case I ended up eliminating the cable setup since it had too much friction with the long cables and tight corners I would have to do to hide it, so it is now back to regular links.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast