sbg  

AE Element

Thread: 3d printed wheels

Default 3d printed wheels

Looking at wheels that are 52mm diameter and 25mm wide. I'm wondering if 1.9 tires will fit these wheels ok? Or should I steer clear of them, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by car54 View Post
    Looking at wheels that are 52mm diameter and 25mm wide. I'm wondering if 1.9 tires will fit these wheels ok? Or should I steer clear of them, thanks.
    52 mm is really just over 2" so a 2.15 or 2.2 tire. 25 mm is about 1" so if you looking at slicks or on road, your best bet might be 1/10 buggy on-road tires. I've been looking for similar inside diameter tires but wider - 1.5" or about 38 mm. It also depends on how tall a side wall you want too. The on-road 1/10 buggy tires for a 2.2 rim often have an outer diameter of nearly 3.5" so about slightly over .5" tall sidewall which is a little to big for me. I hope that helps.

Looking at more trail or rock climbing off road tires, 1.9 size wheels and like 4.19 or 4.7 OD tires. Hope it clears my end up, junkGTZ sounds like it might work but will be tight right? Not sure if 3d printed wheels will handle it, you know.

I've not dealt with 3D printed wheels, or for much of anything else for that matter, and my one experience with a 3D printed object gave me the impression that it's good for low stress parts but not for something that might be subject to some forces. As for tires, you might check out the A-Main Hobbies website. They seem to have tires of all sizes (except the size I needed - onroad touring car/GT) and most especially for off road and rock crawlers, etc.

Ok thanks.

my experiences...

hex mounts: ok. takes some terrible printing to mess that up, and easy to hand fit afterwards anyway

pin mount: can work on larger sizes (1/10 pins) but expect some hand work.

axle mount (like D axle mount): forget it. 99% of the time printed wrong and will come off center when you try to shape the grooves to fit. i have a pile of useless losi micro wheels that never got printed right in the mounting point. printers cannot make the proper D shape on 2/3mm axles