sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First build. Toyota SR5

I made a new front bumper. It is made from aluminum rod. The plastic one has a winch mount. I don’t have a winch and it sticks out further than I would like. This is out as far as it goes and has another set of mounting holes if I want to move it in. It should help with the approach angles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took the truck out every day for an hour in the woods. Today I had a thing that tracks distance and I covered two miles. So that’s about ten miles this week!

Default First build. Toyota SR5

I thought I would make a rundown list of my trucks parts and what it cost to play this trail running game.

I started with the Injora scx10-ii clone. It’s $100.00 dollars and seems like a pretty good deal. I was going to get the Raw builders kit but it’s $200.00 and I planned to replace everything anyhow.

I added the proline Toyota body with black paint
    Then added a hobbywing 1080 ESC.
    I bought a 5000 milliamp 2 cell battery.
    Then a Specktrum dx5 Rugged with rx. I have a bunch of good servos lying around so that was free.

That got it running. Total cost was $450.00 radio,chassis, ESC, servo and body.

Then I replaced the shock mounts front and rear with aluminum. And added inner fenders. That added about $100 bucks

Then I bought an all metal trans for $41.00 and one of the drive shafts would not come off the original trans. So rather than fight it I bought a $24.00 set of nice aluminum drive shafts. And a set of titanium steering links.

The next thing I did was make front and rear bumpers and a roll bar. So there’s another 100 bucks and it is sorta finished with a total cost of maybe $650.00

Now I’m just being stupid but I wanted heavier wheels and better tires. So $30.00 bucks for four steel wheels and $60.00 for a set of proline hyrax 1.9 tires with predator compound. And a set of four Desert lizard 90mm shock plus some oil round it up to another $150.00 dollars. Making it 800.00.

Next I ordered a set of metal portal axles for 140 bucks. And I plan to get a 3cell battery for some rock crawling. That should round out the total to a wopping $ 1000.00 bucks. And I still will need a better motor after the original bites the dust.

That was over about three months and the radio is sorta separate but still, it’s a grand to play in the woods. I can’t afford to get anything else for a while so I’m pretty happy with this. It’s fun to play with and great exercise walking in the woods. I can drive it year round so unlike my airplanes I can use it over the long Iowa winter.

when you have some extra cash maybe time to start messing around with some styrene

Ya I want to build a rear cab. So that would be a good time to start down that road.

most styrene is only a few bucks for a sheet, id follow the lines of your current body and mod as you see fit

I’m kinda torn. I like the roll bar. But the truck I had was always with a cab. I am kinda wanting a truggy. So I don’t know. Maybe build a rear cap for this one a then start over with a class 3 truck when I get some money together. That will take a little while. So I have time to start with the styrene.

if i've learned anything from this forum its that styrene builds can take a eternity if needed i would start with something "basic" like a carbon copy of that body you already have and details are buyable and or makeable, its harder to make a rear cage behind the cab look scale then a bed because bed's have exact dimensions to scale down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwayback View Post
    if i've learned anything from this forum its that styrene builds can take a eternity if needed i would start with something "basic" like a carbon copy of that body you already have and details are buyable and or makeable, its harder to make a rear cage behind the cab look scale then a bed because bed's have exact dimensions to scale down.
    I don't think i would start with something as big as a body. To make a body look right it takes lots of practice. zA body would be the last thing I'd recommend. I'd start with something small like a cooler orsome seats. Then maybe make a canopy for the back of the SR5. I wouldn't recommend building a body until you are very comfortable with styrene building. That's just my opinion though.

its pretty true, i learned my styrene on a body it was a lightly detailed grave digger the trick was the vinyl wrap

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast